iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on tree pushers?

Started by Offthebeatenpath, December 15, 2013, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

Hey All,

I've been thinking about fabricating a tree pusher for the arch of my JD 440D.  I know they are pretty darn basic, but I was wondering if any of you seasoned folks have ideas or photos of pushers that you really like. 

Has anybody out there bent their arch by pushing too hard?  My mentor in the logging business only uses the blade for pushing because he says that the leverage of pushing on top of the arch can do damage.

Thanks.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Stephen Alford

I have always just used the blade , if the saw gets pinched you want to be able to see it so as not to make a bad thing a stupid thing.  :'(   Then for the first time last fall the tree shoved right off the stump and landed on the roof.  ( this also gives Ed k, coxy and dddfarmer   a chance to coment AGAIN   :D )  I like unhookers pusher and the higher the better but not so high as to catch wires when floating.. Going to be lowering the arch so the pusher is on the build list as well. Guess you got the JD up and running ,pics?   :)

logon

cutter88

I have one I built on my jd 640 but im not real good at putting pictures on here
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

mad murdock

I use the blade as well. For those trees that for sure can't go the wrong way(cutting along a power line), I use a nylon cargo strap connected to a short chain and a cable secured with a cum a long winch to a cat or the skidder from a ways away, with the attachment point u as high as I can reach on a single length of extension ladder. Logosol makes a very handy device called a timberwinch. Here's a video of it in action http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0USbUJeiKHM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0USbUJeiKHM
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Maine logger88

I always used the blade and didn't mind it till I bought a skidder with a tree pusher and now I hate to be without one you have so much more leverage to push over the big trees as well as I will back up against the tree I plan to cut then I hook up the chocker cut the tree back into it then you can pull it up to the next tree and limb the first one and do it all over again and if you are carefull then you can push a tree without hurting your saw and you always have the blade still if you need to push with it as far as bending the arch I seriously doubt that you could bend it by pushing they are pretty rugged think of how much stress they take pulling a twitch
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

loggah

I wouldn't be without one if i was still logging !!! i had one on a timberjack 230, a c6d tree farmer and made one up on my dual arch Franklin 660. I never broke anything and pushed trees up to 2500 bd feet with them. The one on the tree farmer i made with a hydraulic cylinder in it and could run it from the ground . Sorry i dont have any pictures ,i was always busy logging and never gave a thought to taking pictures at the time. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the input. 

Stephen- Yup, the skidder is up and running with a rebuilt engine and other new parts.  Haven't taken any good photos, as I have only used it by myself and not that much yet... about to delve into a timber project though and will post photos soon.

Mad Murdock- The Logosol winch looks very handy, esp. for lifting.  In term of pushing a tree over though, I think my blade could get about the same height with a lot more behind it.  In spots inaccessible by skidder, I'm sure it's wicked slick.

Maine Logger- I feel the exact same as you.  Using the blade was fine until I used a TJ 508 with a nice pusher. Setting the choker before the tree falls and not having to spin around twice is a quite a time saver.

Don- I'd love see see what the hydraulic pusher looked like.  Was it on top of the arch?
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

loggah

Yes it was,i used a 24" long hyd cylinder inside  two pieces of box tubing,one could slide inside the other. I think the outside one was 8"x8" square 1/2" wall and the inside one was 7"x7" with a whales tail welded on it made of 1 1/2" steel plate. The tree farmer originally had a  hydraulic accumulator on the blade so i had a extra hydraulic valve in the cab. It really worked great ,but i traded with Jeff Davis up in Rumford Center when i got my franklin grapple.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

PaYoungBuck

I've seen pics of the tree pushers but aroun here you'll never find one. On the john deeres the tree sets in the top of the arch nicely. That's all I ever use to push with.

coxy

I always use the arch I can back the wheels off the ground  to give more push

coxy

Quote from: Stephen Alford on December 15, 2013, 01:05:02 PM
    I have always just used the blade , if the saw gets pinched you want to be able to see it so as not to make a bad thing a stupid thing.  :'(   Then for the first time last fall the tree shoved right off the stump and landed on the roof.  ( this also gives Ed k, coxy and dddfarmer   a chance to coment AGAIN   :D )  I like unhookers pusher and the higher the better but not so high as to catch wires when floating.. Going to be lowering the arch so the pusher is on the build list as well. Guess you got the JD up and running ,pics?   :)

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Southside

I'm sure it's wicked slick.

Now there is a genuine Maine term.  Don't hear that down this way at all.  What part of the state are you in?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

missouriboy

Does anyone have any pics they can put on here

thenorthman

used the arch and the blade, depends on how hard its leaning and whether or not I think I can get it back out...

What works good is to just use the *DanG winch, climb the tree a bit, use a ladder or rope and spurs... whatever, put a bit of tension on it and make your cuts.  Just be sure to either have more then enough cable, or park the skidder a little to one side, say 15-30 degrees from where you intend to fall the tree.

Spent pretty much all day doing just this today... 2 of em needed topped and pulled...
well that didn't work

Stephen Alford

Hey coxy , hope you know I was just messin with you lads.  Just trying to create a bit of a diversion there.   ;D.   Hate to do something so stupid after all these years. Guess Ianab said it best we get complacent and lose focus.   :(   How is your engine rebuild coming? Sure seems to be a lot of that going on.
logon

coxy

ya that's why my lips were sealed we have to have a little fun cause work has not been  haven't started that rebuild yet no time its still running  :D  start a big job to marrow it was suppose to be dun back in july  land owners been very good when you get there you get there  ;D keep it coming I like to get my chops broke  :D dad always said if you cant take it don't give it  :)

Stephen Alford

aaah thats great coxy  :) Well after that noreaster that blew through here yesterday looks like a white Christmas.

The pusher style I have been contemplating would be like a heal boom for loading treelength. If loggah's idea of extendable was incorporated maybe heavy guage square tubing and just a pin might work. may have some time to work on it over the holidays. The subdivision job that was lined up got cancelled.  Wanted out of the site I was on as it can get nasty in the winter.

Took the ol Doll back to the barn this week.

Had a bit of a clunk under foot.

A bit o'filler alls good.  :)

Just went to unhookers gallery and pinched this pic of his pusher. I knocked and nobody seemed to be around . The door was open . Man o man right back in the goo, whats wrong with me.  :D
logon

Woodboogah

I wouldnt be without one.  Here is a picture of mine.  It should be about another 1.5' longer to make it ideal but it is what it is and I dont have the time to mess with it now.  Works well though

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4963&pid=146846#top_display_media
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Stephen Alford on December 15, 2013, 01:05:02 PM
    for the first time last fall the tree shoved right off the stump and landed on the roof. 

No need for cables then. Just cut the but log off out at the yard and watch the logs fall off nice and neat on each pile. :D

'bring me a shrubbery'
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the pics guys.  Woodboggah's is similar to the simple little one that was on the TJ I used a couple winters ago.  I bet unhooker's works well, but I'd rather not lengthen my 440 any more than needed for ease of snaking around in tight spots.

Southside- I live about an hour straight north of Portland, but grew up a bit closer to the coast.

Loggah- sounds like you fabbed up a heck of a pusher- wish I could see a picture...

Stephen Alford

Dat der shes be a fine "taunting" Swampsdonkey, me I got da rollovers cabs , bring on dos barnyard critter, me i am all for dat.  :D
logon

loggah

I did it back in the time before digital cameras, i may have a regular picture in my album,i'll take a look in a bit.

Black_Bear

Here is another version of a tree pusher. Wouldn't want to cut without one.

loggah

Thats a decent one! you get a lot more pulp in your yard when you can get everything butt ahead,keep a lot more leaders on the stem.

Offthebeatenpath

I second that Loggah!  Black Bear's is about exactly what I'd like to make, if I was only a better fabricator.  I don't really have the means to cut a smooch curve like that in 1/2" stock.  Gives me something to work towards though.  Thanks Black Bear.

Thank You Sponsors!