iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taps in Holland

Started by Texas Ranger, December 13, 2013, 11:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Subject: Taps in Holland
Watch this young lady's face while she's playing. This is no performance: it's an act of pure, unadulterated reverence. Today's children are wise beyond their years on the planet.  Be moved! Be blessed. SBTAPS ...The Last Post A few years ago, a friend visited the Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial in the village of Margraten, about six miles from Maastricht. There lie buried 8,301 American soldiers killed in the battles to liberate Holland in the fall and winter of 1944-5. Sgt. Bill Dukeman, 101st Airborne Division, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, Second Battalion, Company C (of "Band of Brothers fame) is buried there. He was killed in the battle of "The Crossroads" in northern Holland.

The Dutch hold an annual memorial concert every September at the above cemetery to remember and honor the Americans who died to free them in Operation Market Garden and subsequent efforts to eject the German army from Holland. Sgt. Dukeman, like many other fallen GIs, was "adopted" by a Dutch family. Dukeman's family in the States was contacted and hosted in Holland, and his grave site decorated each year by his Dutch "family." They keep his portrait in their home, displayed in a place of honor. Fathers pass this obligation down to their sons in Holland. This version of the original "taps" music is played by a 13 year old Dutch girl named Melissa Venema. The conductor of the orchestra is Andre Rieu from Holland .

Many of you may never have heard taps played in its entirety . The original version of Taps was called Last Post, and was written by Daniel Butterfield in 1801. It was rather lengthy and formal, as you will hear in this clip, so in 1862 it was shortened to 24 notes and re-named Taps.

Melissa Venema is playing it on a trumpet whereby the original was played on a bugle.

Watch at this site, and go full screen.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

Very very touching. I had to stop the music a couple of times...

A balding paunchy somewhat senile old soldier...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I've seen this video before, and I would almost bet that there wouldn't be very many who can watch it and still have dry eyes.

This would be especially true with servicemen and women!

I'm like piney, I had to stop it a few times myself!

EXCELLENT!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

Piney, I hope you aren't senile, you are not far ahead of me.  And yeah, old soldiers, sailors, marines, costies, and airdales may tend to cloud up a little. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

I never knew that Holland did that. And I never knew that Taps was long like that either. Thank-you. A very nice job was done on the music.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 13, 2013, 04:12:53 PM
Piney, I hope you aren't senile, you are not far ahead of me.  And yeah, old soldiers, sailors, marines, costies, and airdales may tend to cloud up a little.

TR, I did say "somewhat senile" Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between senile and stubborn  ::) Particularly touching for me, I have helped lay to rest several of that generation in the last few years, usually with full military honors..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

Didn't know there was another ceremonial each year besides the Liberation Day of May 5, which became an annual holiday in 1990. Before it was every 5 years. Liberation Day celebrates liberation mainly by the First Canadian Army and the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, but American, British, Czech, Belgian and Polish troops played a role. This is preceded on May 4 by Remembrance of the Dead for those lost in all wars.

I can't watch the video on dial-up, but it's probably quite something I'm sure.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

coxy

goose63

That young lady is some thin else tap's is a very hard thing for me lost to many friend's over there :(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!