iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the kiln

Started by mmartone, December 11, 2013, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I had sawn this stuff a week or two ago, 2x10 outside edge, 1 1/2x6 joists (16" OC), 1x4 flooring diagonal.  Going to nail some 2x4 leger boards on under the 1 1/2x6's. Got some 3x3 posts sawn for the corners and going to lag bolt them to the base and the sides to them.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

bedway

Looking good so far, keep us posted. :)

Deese

Definitely keep us posted with lots of pics  ;D
Hopefully I will be able to build mine this Spring  :-\
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Looks like a long span for having four posts...one at each corner.  Better would be six, with the two extra halfway down.  Otherwise, move the corner posts in about three feet from each end.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

mmartone

Why are you worried about the walls moving? The big back wall is aluminum with a 3" foam core like a stand alone cooler/ freezer. The rest will be wood with appropriate framing unless we find some more panels.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

kderby

The combination of heat, moisture and time are structural challenges.  Better to over-build than to see a problem develop.  The kiln is part of your system for producing quality lumber.  Like a tire that is under inflated when you want get on the road, a problem in the kiln is a problem!

You can build it how ever you choose.  Gene just picked up on the span and mentioned it.  I can see where the weight of green lumber and heat will be forces to be reckoned with. 

Thank You Sponsors!