iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

farm tractor to load logs

Started by MICKEY108, December 11, 2013, 09:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

I was wondering what size i"m looking 4 a older tractor not a new one i'll b loading hardwood and softwood some logs r real big thanks 4 any help

beenthere

Mick
Give us a ball park figure what you want to spend, and what other things you might like to use the tractor for besides loading logs.

And what is "real big" ??  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MICKEY108

up 2 $10,000 big red oak,white oak 24 in to 30 in

beenthere

I can pick up that size with my JD 4300 if they are not longer than 10'.  ;)

But farm auction's should get you some loader tractors in the 50-80 hp class for under $10k.

Visit some nearby dealers and see what they have, get some prices, and plug in some models found in classifieds and on CL into the computer and there will be lots of info as to size, reviews, etc.
Many here on the FF have a variety of brands and colors. There are many out there that will do very similar jobs and performance. 
Have fun and enjoy the ride.  8)

What is your experience with tractors? Grew up on them or around them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

skid steers work real well for that to      mine is only 50hp and will pick up a spruce log 16ft long and 30in on the small end about 5ft off the ground before it starts to do a front wheelie  :o going to put  few more weights on it and try that ;D

luvmexfood

I use a 45 HP tractor that does not have a loader. Use to parbuckle logs but some of the larger logs would really slam down on the trailer when they came over the side. (trailer has about a 12" side rail).

Now I am taking a boom pole and picking up one end of the log and setting it on a 4x4 laying on the back of the trailer. Then using a winch I have mounted on the tongue of the trailer I hook to the log and begin winching it in while gently lifting some of the weight off the back of the trailer with the boom pole.

Slow going but got to use what you have. Purchasing any different equipment is out of the question for now. Pockets are empty and I have more time than money. I do think this method is faster than parbuckling. Especially if I can load directly as I skid in. Don't have to hook to the log twice.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

warren46

I use a John Deere 4020 (100 Hp) tractor with a front end loader to unload logs at my mill.  The loader is a little undersized but the tractor is great.  I have lifted up to a 36" Dia by 16 foot cottonwood log with this mill.  Having the extra weight of the tractor makes everything nice and stable.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

timberjackrob

my dad and I used a 175 massey ferguson with a236 massey loader for years hydraulics were slow but powerful lifted several 300bf red oak logs some we could pick up and it would sink the front tires in the ground and we couldn't move so we made the standards on one side of the truck removable so we could lift the log and then back the truck under it.where there's a will there's a way  :D
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

RayMO

If you get an industrial type tractor and loader you will not be as apt to break loader and front end components on bigger logs . Many farm tractor loader combos will pick up a lot more than they are capable of handling on a regular basis .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

gspren

Do you need 4 wh drive? If you can get by with a 2wd then look at any of the major brands in a 75HP or bigger from the 70s or 80s.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Rockn H

I'm not sure where you're located and tractor prices vary around the country, but you should be able to pickup a tractor and fel for less than 10.  I've got a '84 Case 380 construction king.  It's a 42hp industrial case tractor so it's yellow instead of red.  It can pick up a 30"x 14' long white oak, but the ground needs to be real solid or the front end is going down.  A 4x4 tractor doesn't need as much weight on the rear wheels for traction, but cost more.  With a front end loader, it's not so much what size tractor as it is what size loader.  And how much the tractor weighs to off set what's being picked up.  My tractor for example doesn't use the three point hydraulics for the fel.  It has a separate pump that runs off the front of the crank and the hydraulic tanks are in the fel uprights.

GRANITEstateMP

We use a JD 5500 that is a farm tractor first and a log mover / loader second.  It's got an Igland grapple on the front that is quick attach, we did need to run some extra hyd. lines to the rear hydrolics to control the grapple.  It works fairly well, we normally use it on the landing to load a roll-off can (on the ground).

This is the electric valve that we plugged into the rear when we're running the grapple, just flip a toggle switch to go between grapple open / close and grapple tilt.

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Gary_C

No matter how old your tractor is, if you do not have a ROPS that protects in front of you while sitting on the seat, you are risking your life lifting logs with that loader tractor. A thumb or grapple on the bucket is good too.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

EricR

Ford 445 (get one of the letter series) are in my opinion the best true industrial tractors for there class.  they are very operator friendly and have a very powerful loader.  you can get them with a pto and 3pth too.  If you wanted to run implements as well this would be my choice.  If you don't need to run implements you could consider a backhoe.  You can pick up a case 580 or ford 555 backhoe for around that price.  It may be more machine then you think you need but when you start loading big logs high and on uneven ground theirs much less pucker factor with a heavier machine

GRANITEstateMP

I second the 445 being one heck of a little machine.  We've got 2 445D loaders one is really really used!  The old one is used to scrape manure out of the barn the other is used for feeding up.  They are work horse's and a little maintanence goes a long way.  The work station is fairly easy to get on and off of and it's more of an industrial loader vs. farm tractor.  Ours both have 3pt hitch and pto.  Can't say enough good things about them.  The biggest problems we've had are the dash goes out (electronics and cow poop don't mix) and we had a couple of the power reverser levers that needed to be replaced, not bad considering the amount of use...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SFires

If all your using It for Is loading logs then you may look into getting a SkyTrac.  They can easily lift what you want 4-wheel drive and very easy to use in tight places I.e. the woods
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

kensfarm

The TN65S met its match w/ this 21ft oak log.. first log I had to cut to load on the trailer.  No problem dragging it.

The forks give me some versatility for diff. jobs.   

OneWithWood

I have a JD4520 with a 400CX loader.  I put a 2000# weight on the back to stabilize it and prevent wheelies.  It handles logs in the 18-24 inch by 12' range without problems.  I recently placed a 18' x 24" walnut log on the mill with it but it was all it could handle.
What Beenthere said about the ROPS is important.  If you have nothing in front of you to stop a roll back never lift the log above the hood of the tractor.  You won't have time to get out of the way if it rolls back at you  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

treeslayer2003

Mickey, if your primary reason is to load logs then find a loader. you can find a decent front end or even track loader for 10000. a farm tractor will never replace a loader for daily loading.

Southside

I have done it both ways, I have a IH 666 from 1972 with a 2250 loader on it - 67 hp, row crop type machine, it will lift, drive around with, and safely load, a 20" X 16' long pine all day with no issues, but it would take me an hour to load up 1500 bft that way, by the time you center on the log, drive to the trailer, back around, etc - its not a fast way to do it at all, not every log is nice and big of course.  Like others said, if you are not farming with the machine then look at a pay loader or log loader, it will be faster for sure.  For $10K you may be able to find a decent truck mounted loader depending on what you plan to do. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

beenthere says his tractor will pick it up,but what happens when the loader is all the way up on, with just about all that tractor wants and one tire goes into a hole 6 inches deep.  :o Than the logs swings or move over on the down hill side??  Safety first. as said get a loader from an old truck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

A 10'x30" white oak is 3092 by the log calculator. Not many farm tractor loaders will handle that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

lol, I was thinkin the trees here must be a lot heavyer than other places. from what I have seen, it takes a large tractor to pic up a small tree.

Birchwood Logging

i have two cat skid steer loaders a 232b and a 262c i love them they are very handy and easy to turn and maneuver my 262b has a rated 5900 pound tipping capacity i have loaded alot of large hard wood logs with it the also have a good lifting height you should be able to find a good used skid loader in your price range   
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

MICKEY108

we was going 2 load them on a goose neck trl i need a 4x4 if my skidder broke down we could skid with the tractor thanks 4 all the help

Thank You Sponsors!