iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seasoning firewood

Started by WoodBros, December 11, 2013, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBros

I plan on splitting ten cords over the next few weeks to sell during the summer.
1. Will this be enough time to season
2.what is the best stacking pattern for optimum seasoning
3. Should i cover with a tarp? Only cover the top?
-Wood Brothers

thecfarm

Some will argue the season enough part.  I would say yes,but some have some drying for 2 years. Whatever you believe in.  :) I myself would not stack it. Unless you are getting $500 a cord.  ;D I would just throw into a stack. That's how I see it done around here,right or wrong. It comes off the processor onto a conveyor belt and is one big pile of wood. They move the conveyor and do it again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

M_S_S

I am not sure of your area. Out here in northern Cal if you cut trees this winter it would be ready to burn by next fall.  I use to cut black oak and madrone till I moved further northeast about 5 years ago. Where I live now there is no hardwood. We cut juniper, lodgepole and ponderosa pine for firewood. I fell a lot of juniper
(maybe 75 cord) this fall. I am in the process of limbing and skidding now. When I get them skidded to the landing I will buck them and split them for delivery next fall. I will knock down trees all winter. Clear cutting 150 acres. Making firewood and posts.
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

clww

The wood that I sell for burning indoors, I let it season at least 9 months before I market it, so if I split a load tomorrow, I would have it in the "sale" stack in October 2014. If the wood is going to be burned outdoors in a burn ring, I'd only worry about it seasoning for at least 3 months.
I stack mine along the fence (here in the city), or put it in my wood shed (at the cabin).
I never tarp it. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sam-tip

For summer it should be fine.  For best seasoning stack off the ground.  Stack from east to west in Nebraska with direct sun.  Cover just the top.  The warmer south winds will do the most seasoning.   Hot enough in Nebraska in the summer to dry about anything.

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

KindredSpiritzz

at this time of year all the sap is down in the roots so that will help. I'd say at least 9 months on the drying. I have some box elder that was cut into logs and rounds fall of 2012, split and stacked august of this year and its still 20-30% moisture. Stack on pallets to get the wood off the ground and i think it's crazy not to cover wood on the top. Rain and snow isnt going to help the drying process at all.

beenthere

Kindred
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Where abouts you located, in general?

Interested in what you mean by the sap going down. Knowledge here points to about the same moisture content in the wood year around. So thinking that the wood isn't any drier but just isn't growing new cells during the winter dormancy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

Around here if you cut trees in early spring when leaves are coming out it is supposed to suck the water out? I have seen  wood cut in winter and piled in log length shoot sprouts out of he log. When we used to split wood into large piles during the fall tropical storms would bring lots of moisture/humidity and mold would form in the center of the pile. we store wood in log length. good luck and good question. No one likes buying wood they cant burn.
Quote from: beenthere on December 14, 2013, 01:52:03 AM
Kindred
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Where abouts you located, in general?

Interested in what you mean by the sap going down. Knowledge here points to about the same moisture content in the wood year around. So thinking that the wood isn't any drier but just isn't growing new cells during the winter dormancy.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

KindredSpiritzz,welcome to the forum.
drying wood the RIGHT way has about as many theories as the Oil Wars over in the chainsaw board.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KindredSpiritzz

BeenThere, you are right the sap apparently doesnt go down in the winter which surprises me. Sap rises for sugar maples so i don't quite understand that. Learn something new every day.

doctorb

Here's a well worn thread on this subject.  Lots of opinions and info here.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44996.0.html
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

CRThomas

Quote from: WoodBros on December 11, 2013, 04:54:42 PM
I plan on splitting ten cords over the next few weeks to sell during the summer.
1. Will this be enough time to season
2.what is the best stacking pattern for optimum seasoning
3. Should i cover with a tarp? Only cover the top?
Did I get a kick in the but I bundled 750 bundles that's two trailer loads. We went to our daughters Sunday to visit. Got up Monday morning went out to hookup and start delivering both trailers were empty. I have to go back to the woods and start over. They haven't stole my cherry yet they are in 800 to 900 lb blocks. This worlds getting low life now

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CTYank

In some states, "seasoning" is legally defined by the calendar. Meaning, "seasoning" really has no meaning. Better you focus on "air-drying". That has meaning, is defined, and can be measured.

If you study it much, you'll see how many variables are involved. One important variable is access to breezes- it is AIR-drying after all. So it matters very much how you stack it, to give access to the summer breezes. Piling in a big dump is way inferior. I can tell you this from experience. Very little work needed for stacking, off the ground, relative to the return.

Top covering helps, too. DAGS on "moisture meter".
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!