iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw chain....

Started by mrcaptainbob, November 02, 2018, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I've been cutting firewood for more than af ew decadesnow, and have almost exclusively used Stihl and Stihl chain. Only recently have I moved into some different brands. Stihl have my Stihl and they are my go-to saws. But....with these different brands I find many different kinds of chains. And I've read here about many different kinds of chain. How/where can I learn chain nomencature? Not talking about straps and links, but the actual chain description. RMS?(?) or pico(?) or stuff like that. I'm sure it has to do with sizes and such. Where do I learn what you all know?

lxskllr

Pretty sure the proprietary names are mostly meaningless. Just there cause they needed something special to call it. Here's a cross reference that may be helpful...

Chainsaw Chain Cross Reference Chart | Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

edit:
also checkout the pdf linked on the above page. It goes into the various cutter types, and chain layouts.

mrcaptainbob

WOW, Lxskllr, that chart helped me a LOT! Amazing the different descriptors for the same thing. Wish a voluntary standardization was taken by all providers. But this helps me understand a bit better.
Thank you, Lxskllr

mrcaptainbob

What does the nomenclature on the driver link mean? My Stihls are stamped 72. But I have some other chains that have different stampings.

lxskllr

That doesn't sound like Stihl chain. I believe Sthil only stamps with a single number denoting pitch. That sounds like Oregon chain which at 72 would be 3/8 pitch .050 gauge.

Here's a site that shows some chain codes...

Chain codes help chain id What chain fits my chainsaw?

Tropical Sawyer

All of the Stihl chains I have are stamped with pitch and gauge. This website should allow you to determine the pitch and gauge of your Stihl chains from the numbers:

Saw Chain Identification | STIHL USA

I have an Oregon chain with 72 stamped on the drive links, lxskllr is correct, its 3/8, 0.050 gauge.

Every chain I own has the brand name on the chain somewhere. It should be easy to identify the makers of your chains if you look for the brand names.
Woodland Mills HM130, Stihl ms310 and ms660, Granberg chainsaw mill, 3 ton Kobelco excavator, 1 ton Chinese front-end loader.
New to sawmilling but have been chainsawing for a few years.

mrcaptainbob

I'm throwin' in the towel. It's not like I don't appreciate all your help with these great charts. But for some reason I can't get a grip on chain description. Along with my (preferred) MS310, I have an Olympik, Wards, and a few Poulans. The Olympik is set up with Stihl chain and that was done by the Stihl dealer. I'm taking the others in just as I did that Olympik and he can match up what's needed. But, I WILL make myself a chart with each saw and it's bar info and chain info for my future needs.

mike_belben

Do you understand pitch and guage?
Praise The Lord

lxskllr

You may be overthinking it. Pitch, gauge, and drive link count are the only really hard numbers. The rest is up to preference. If you're sure the saws haven't been modified from factory conditions, you should be able to look them up online to see what chain they take. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in what specific brands call their various chain models. It's a confusing mess of numbers. Decide what brand you want, and search from that brand.

Mad Professor

Quote from: lxskllr on December 09, 2018, 08:07:45 AM
You may be overthinking it. Pitch, gauge, and drive link count are the only really hard numbers. The rest is up to preference. If you're sure the saws haven't been modified from factory conditions, you should be able to look them up online to see what chain they take. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in what specific brands call their various chain models. It's a confusing mess of numbers. Decide what brand you want, and search from that brand.
Don't forget that 3/8 picco/lo pro is different than regular 3/8 chain, even though it may have the same pitch, gauge, and link count.  The chassis are different, and the drivers won't engage the sprockets correctly.

mrcaptainbob

I do understand the chain makeup. Sideplate, top plate, etc., and the pitch, gauge and drive link count. It's the bar descriptions that are baffling me.
Poalan 306A  bar reads: 44 198 AG  20 3/8  (20" chain with 3/8 pitch, I presume)
Ward's TMY 240884A bar reads: Pro AM AB27080  200SFDH003 (70 drivers)
Poulan Pro 0624 bar reads: 71-36598 NQ      18   91  (Oregon chain 62 drivers)
   Craftsman 18"]
   D300162        ]}side plate
   04:41            ]
Poulan Pro Micro XXV bar reads:  Oregon 26011 RR91
 And I have a chain here in my hands with no identifiers excpet the drivers are all stamped 370.
And the safety links are labeled R on one side and L on the other. Well, at least I figured out which is the left side of the chain and which is the right. So far I gots THAT much figird out!
 Sometimes I just leave stuff to those who understand stuff better.

HolmenTree

Sounds like you need to have a yard sale and sell some of that stuff off.

That 370 chain you have there sounds like the old  Mac 3/8" Lo profile chain. Another confusing chain as it's not the smaller 3/8" LoProfile Stihl Picco or Oregon 91 series.
Good to use that 370 up as it fits a standard .050 3/8" drive sprocket and sprocket nose bar.
Posting pics of your stuff would give alot more information 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Don't feel so all alone because I never paid much attention to numbers myself and I've been at it for a long time .Words like chisel,semi chisel and chipper make more sense .If I need a number I've got a very fast computer and a very fast internet connection and Google can find just about anything . 8)

mrcaptainbob

Set the chains on the counter and the guy said "yeah. I can make up a new set. Poulan, huh?"
Hmmm....glad I took it to someone who knows what they're doing.
He did mention that once you grasp the different manufacturer's description it all 'falls in place'.
Glad he ( and you people...) understand.
I'm happy now.
Thanks again for all your great help.

Bob.

Thank You Sponsors!