iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Packaged firewood

Started by kwatvrider, December 10, 2013, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwatvrider

I have been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first post. I have been talking with my brother-in-law who owns a landscaping business. I have wanted to start a packaged firewood business for years now. He is also interested but does not have the time to mess with it. I can do this on the side with his investment in the packaging machine and work under his company insurance. I was looking for reccomendations on brands of equipment. I already have the chainsaws and splitter. Thanks for any comments.
Stihl 036 w/ 20" bar
Stihl MS180 w/ 16" bar

Firewoodjoe

I'm assuming u mean bundles. I've thought a about it but just sell bulk for now. And welcome. Maybe someonelse will chime in

Buck

BusyBeaverLumber has had success in this market. Check him out. He has it going on.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

kwatvrider

I guess bundles would be the correct term and thanks.
Stihl 036 w/ 20" bar
Stihl MS180 w/ 16" bar

NWP

I've got a Twister wood wrapper. It's wrapped a lot of wood and still works great. I'd say they are probably around $2,000 range.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

r.man

I rarely see bundles in my area, for some reason bagged wood is more popular. Not sure how expensive the bags are but the bagging racks?? don't look very complicated. They look a lot like the loading racks that are sold for bundlers but on a stand that allows them to tip to release wood and bag to be tied.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPpgqSOxZU
This video shows a bagger but should be watched with the sound off. Am I the only one who thinks that quiet is better than inane music.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

And for the other school of thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8y76uWrA
Same advice, mute before watching.

beenthere

QuoteAm I the only one who thinks that quiet is better than inane music.

No, you are not the only one. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

I wouldn't buy one of those bagger things unless they were really cheap, it just looks like too easy of a thing you could build cheap. my girlfriends dad had a business doing this for parks back before every park had fire wood it was kind of new then. if was pretty much seasonal work even as your own business. I guess during winter there would be a couple of people who just want a pretty fire in there fireplace once or twice a winter... I think you could make it doing this it would just take a while to build enough costumers.  live near a park and I have several neighbors (including a young cousin) who sells wood in bundles near the road with a drop box for money

CRThomas

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 10, 2013, 07:54:54 PM
I'm assuming u mean bundles. I've thought a about it but just sell bulk for now. And welcome. Maybe someonelse will chime in
I sell bundled firewood full time I should say my wife and I you go to raisin666@facebook.com and you can see our operation. We make between $50,000,00 to $60,000,00 a year and don't kill our selfs doing it we tried the bulk selling it. It became a seasonal thing bundled firewood is a year round business. I sell as much wood in the summer time as I do in the winter time.

CRThomas

Quote from: r.man on December 10, 2013, 10:26:25 PM
And for the other school of thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8y76uWrA
Same advice, mute before watching.
I tried the bagger I bagged 10 bags 2 years ago put them at one of my stores they have proble sold 3000 to 4000 bundles but the still have 3 of the bagged wood. The bag filler is setting out side the back of our shop does not work in my area. Just my input.

CRThomas

Quote from: NWP on December 10, 2013, 10:10:44 PM
I've got a Twister wood wrapper. It's wrapped a lot of wood and still works great. I'd say they are probably around $2,000 range.
I got a electric wrapper from Hudson I ended up taking the motor off and putting a crank handle on it and my nabor built me one like it. I was not crazy about the electric. I have bought the cheap one now the goes in the trailer receiver. I like it to. Built me a electric splitter 20 ton I have a 30 ton goes on the back of my tractor with a princes pump for hydrolic power.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: CRThomas on December 13, 2013, 01:14:43 AM
I sell bundled firewood full time I should say my wife and I you go to raisin666@facebook.com and you can see our operation. We make between $50,000,00 to $60,000,00 a year and don't kill our selfs doing it we tried the bulk selling it. It became a seasonal thing bundled firewood is a year round business. I sell as much wood in the summer time as I do in the winter time.

When I click on your link I get an e-mail not a web site....?

CRThomas

Quote from: kwatvrider on December 10, 2013, 07:17:02 PM
I have been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first post. I have been talking with my brother-in-law who owns a landscaping business. I have wanted to start a packaged firewood business for years now. He is also interested but does not have the time to mess with it. I can do this on the side with his investment in the packaging machine and work under his company insurance. I was looking for reccomendations on brands of equipment. I already have the chainsaws and splitter. Thanks for any comments.
When you go into the bundled and package firewood business you are going into a different deal alol to gether. When I deliver my firewood I take my work cloths off and dress nice you going into peoples homes that cost half a million you take off your shoes you place the bundles where they want them if the little lady wants you to take out here trash while your leaving  I do. Why do I do that I just delivered her 10 bundles at $10.00s a bundle thats a $100.00 bill in cash. If she wants you to talk for a little while I do. When I set up a store I build a rack to fit there location not a pallet and run. You will have a learning process good luck

kwatvrider

Thanks for the information. We are still just in the planning stages and not certain that we are doing this yet. I'm game but my brother-in-law isn't the most motivated person all the time. I would be doing most of the work though w/ this. We will see what happens I guess. ::)
Stihl 036 w/ 20" bar
Stihl MS180 w/ 16" bar

Okrafarmer

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering about several aspects of this topic.

When we sell bundled wood, wholesale, what prices do we get? I constantly see the bundled wood outside grocery stores, gas stations, etc. They go for anywhere from $4-8 / bundle here, retail. How much do you sell them for wholesale when you deliver them?

Also, how do you select for species if you are in an area like here, where there are +/- 100 species of tree around? Do you sell only hard hardwoods (oak, hickory, etc), any and all hardwoods, or specify one type, such as hickory only, or oak?

And what about kiln drying? How does that affect your prices, and how expensive is it to kiln dry firewood in these bundles? Down here, kiln drying would be a pretty big deal, I think, because of all the bugs-- termites, cockroaches, ants, etc., not to mention mold, mildew, etc. that can form on firewood.

I can get firewood--even good firewood-- tree length / pulp length for free or nearly free. Has anyone sold their bundled firewood wholesale out of state? And how does this work regarding Emerald Ash Borer (which we don't have in our area yet, supposedly). If you kiln dry, can you transport the kiln dried firewood freely? Does someone have to inspect it or certify to let it move out of state?

Just wanting to know. Buried under firewood-worthy trees here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Corley5

I don't like bundles ;) :)  They're labor intensive and time consuming.  When I figure time, labor and wrap to make and deliver 160 bundles to the local gas station/party store I put about the same amount of money in my pocket  after the expenses as a bulk 5 face cord load of firewood.  It's the only account I've got at the moment.  I had another but he over bought wood from me for heating his home and is using the excess to make his own bundles for the fireplaces in his river rental cabins  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okrafarmer

In Michigan, bulk firewood may be in enough demand for this to easily be the case. The pricing may be different in warmer parts of the country.

So what kinds of prices do people typically get when they sell their bundles wholesale?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

glassman_48

kwatvrider,
twisters manual bundler sells for 400 bucks plus shipping, that one does 25 to 35 bundles per hour, the electric ones (twister and brute force) start out at about $1700 dollars plus shipping and they do 55 to 60 bundles per hour.  You can get up over 2 grand and they will do 80 to 100 bundles per hour with fast load trays.  Another thing to consider is restaraunts that would purchase wood for smoking meats.  I am looking into that right now.  I will post if I get any interest from restaraunts in the area and hopefully pictures of my bagging system that I will use.  Good luck

Corley5

55-60 bundles an hour ???  Sustainably ???

glassman_48

corley5,
I am just claiming what the claimers claimed to me ;D  I am 63 years old, so no not me, but someone half my age.  Hoping busy beaver will chime in, he does a bunch of bundles a year.  Is your twister a manual, or electric? 

r.man

As I have said in the past we don't have bundled firewood here, we have bagged firewood. Not sure why but I don't think I have ever seen bundled firewood anywhere I have traveled in Ontario. The bags are drawstring style similar to onion bags. Firewood is placed in a open topped tray, the bag is slipped over and the whole thing is tipped up so the bag and firewood slips off to be tied.

OH logger

Quote from: Corley5 on August 09, 2016, 09:09:11 PM
55-60 bundles an hour ???  Sustainably ???

not bragging buy ya. my 7 year old son and i do easily that many with no quick loaders, but we only have to make 60 or so at a time. i bought the twister used for 450 bucks(in great shape) and love it. heck of a time saver over the old manual way ;)
john

Corley5

It usually takes us 3.5 to 4 hours to make 160 bundles which includes stacking in the trailer.  We bundle right off the firewood processor.  I paid $65.00 for my Twister used at an auction about seven years ago.  Brought it home, sprayed some penetrating oil in the appropriate places, plugged it in and it worked  8)  I had to put a new motor on it last year.  That cost about $350.00 ;) ;D  I did buy one with higher RPMs.  That made a difference.  I guess it doesn't owe me anything   ;) ;D 8) :)

Okrafarmer

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess nobody really wants to talk about wholesale prices, and that's ok, 'cause I know how it is to talk about prices sometimes.

I just was wondering what the approximate margin is on this kind of enterprise. I can see what the retail prices are easily enough.

Around here, we usually deliver a Tacoma load of seasoned mixed hardwood firewood to local customers, and stack it at their place for around $125. This is loose, seasoned (not kiln-dried) firewood delivered to people's homes. I'd like to improve on that rate of return if possible.

Thank You Sponsors!