iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building floating shed on frozen ground

Started by thechknhwk, December 10, 2013, 02:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I bought a tractor which I loathe to leave outside all winter.  I could store it off site, but I use it almost everyday that I'm home from work, so not really a viable option either.  I also was unable to clear and level a spot before the ground went rock solid frozen.  I intend this to be a temporary structure that I will take apart and move since my house is for sale.

My idea is that I lay down a 2' or so wide bed of pea gravel about 4-6" thick and level it out, then lay down some treated 4x4's and then build 4' section stud walls and bolt them together for easy disassembly.  Probably side with B&B all screwed on for easy removal.  I have a couple cable and screw in anchor setups to put in to hold it down.

I'm just wondering if it will shift considerably enough to cause a problem in the spring if I have to stay there that long.  My thinking is that it should function like a floating slab...

This is my theory, poke away.

dustyjay

THe gravel on frozen ground is a common practice in Alaska. Nearly all buildings I saw in Glennallen we're build that way. Gravel base surrounding piers, buildings 2-3 feet off the ground.

They do it to stay out of the permafrost, the gravel stays pretty level. If your building shifts, it sounds small enough you could shim it to keep level.
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

Gary_C

The only problem I see with your thinking is a way to keep it from blowing away. We get some pretty fierce winds here and it would not stay in place long.

And flying buildings are frowned upon.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dave VH

what's your ground? sand, rock, clay?

I'm assuming it's sand, that what most of northern mi seems to be.  with that being the case, your plan should work just fine.  I would consider some helical anchors to help prevent any uplift.  Or perhaps just bury a couple of railroad ties under where your tractor parks and fasten the walls to that.  Using the weight of the tractor to help hold down the barn in an extreme case of high winds.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thehardway

good theory.  Time to put it in practice 8)
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

thechknhwk

2 sawmill jobs, 12 face cord of firewood later, plus my regular job, and I still haven't started.

Dave VH

sure you have, researching and having a good plan is the best start that you could have.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!