iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 025 & MS390 repair & parts help

Started by TLSTWIN, December 09, 2013, 10:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLSTWIN

Ladies & Gentlemen,
I have a 11 or 12 yr old 025 and a 10yr old 390 that both "died" on me.

I need parts for the saws or advice as to if I should waste my time fixing them. I have found used, new, & aftermarket, parts to fix both saws for about $450. At what point is it better to buy new? it doesn't seem there are a lot of parts to replace & get 10 or more years out of them.

I should say I don't want to spend the money on two new saws to replace these two saws.

Here is what I need:
025~ cylinder & piston

390 cylinder & piston, flywheel (don't ask why :-X), coil (don't ask why :-X)

I have been told to stay away from aftermarket cylinders & pistons, but no one gives me a good reason or personal experience, just hearsay whore stories.
Thanks in advance for the help

jhellwig

Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

ladylake

If your going with OEM parts you may as well buy a new saw or saws, OEM Stihl is way to expensive.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TLSTWIN

Quote from: ladylake on December 10, 2013, 06:23:08 PM
If your going with OEM parts you may as well buy a new saw or saws, OEM Stihl is way to expensive.   Steve

So, are you saying aftermarket parts aren't a bad idea? Have you used them? Do they last as long?

TLSTWIN

thecfarm

I have heard them critters really go fast with no oil.  :o
TLSTWIN,welcome to the forum
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Unless you have sentimental feelings for those things you have to ask yourself something .Even in good running condtion are both of those saws collectively worth 450 bucks ?Some might say yes but my money is that the majority will say no .

Knute

I would buy a new saw of the size you use most and a used saw from a reputable dealer to fill my other needs.

TLSTWIN

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 10, 2013, 09:42:13 PM
Unless you have sentimental feelings for those things you have to ask yourself something .Even in good running condtion are both of those saws collectively worth 450 bucks ?Some might say yes but my money is that the majority will say no .
My thought process was, spending $450 to fix 2 saws, which would essentially make them almost new, is worth it since the motor is the only thing wrong, which is cheaper than two new saws.

I just didn't know if aftermarket parts are reliable. Also wondered if the the new MS362 and/ or MS391 is that much better than the MS390.. Make since?

TLSTWIN

Quote from: Knute on December 10, 2013, 09:58:35 PM
I would buy a new saw of the size you use most

I thought about just this too....

brettl

Are you doing the work yourself? If not, does that $450 include labor? If you're having a shop do it, the labor may be a deal-breaker. I wouldn't rule out a good used saw such as an older 036 Pro. It's a lighter saw than your big one and not much heavier than the small one and will outcut either. I watch Craigslist and sometimes see them in very good shape for around $300. 

deerslayer

I just put together an 039 out of parts I got from Asia. It's the second one I've done and have been very pleased with the results. I think you could probably get one of your saws going for less than $100 and then you can make your own determination as to whether aftermarket parts were a good idea. Is your flywheel junk or just has an issue?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

TLSTWIN

Quote from: brettl on December 12, 2013, 10:27:12 PM
Are you doing the work yourself? If not, does that $450 include labor? If you're having a shop do it, the labor may be a deal-breaker. I wouldn't rule out a good used saw such as an older 036 Pro. It's a lighter saw than your big one and not much heavier than the small one and will outcut either. I watch Craigslist and sometimes see them in very good shape for around $300.
Yep, doing the work myself

TLSTWIN

Quote from: deerslayer on December 12, 2013, 10:51:02 PM
I just put together an 039 out of parts I got from Asia. It's the second one I've done and have been very pleased with the results. I think you could probably get one of your saws going for less than $100 and then you can make your own determination as to whether aftermarket parts were a good idea. Is your flywheel junk or just has an issue?
I broke one of the fins when I was tearing the saw apart. not a big one, but am wooried about it throwing it out of balance & scraping the crank & bearings.

celliott

Don't rule out used OEM parts either, not nearly as pricey as new Stihl parts.

<------------     Sponsor Chainsawr, contact him, he's got lots of parts.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Al_Smith

There's all kinds of options rather than new OEM parts .

One is surfing a dealers dead pile .Find a couple saws with compression and part them out .They end up coming in for repairs which cost more than the saw is worth .The dealers end up with them and usually sell them relatively cheap .Oh some of them I'm certain try to get top dollar prices .Depends on the dealer .They don't rule market place though because there must be a Stihl dealer every ten square miles .If one won't deal chances are the next one will .

GDinMaine

Considering that a new MS390 (391) is around $550 it would be a tough decision to spend $450 on the 10-year-old saw.  That said.  I have a 390 that is about the same age and it is a very reliable saw, tho it's a gas hog.  So. I understand why you are considering to fix it.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

hawkins111

You certainly can not repair either saw with OEM Stihl parts for a reasonable price. If you need a cylinder and piston for either a 025 or MS390, OEM parts are going to cost as much as a new saw. There is a choice however. You can buy a complete motor for a MS390 for $160 from one of the sponsors of this site. It is a bolt in complete engine all sealed up and ready to go. I did also see a brand new complete engine for a MS250 being offered on a auction site for $150 that will fit your 025. That is also a bolt in, ready to go complete engine. Both of these series of saws are easy to work on when it comes to replacing the engine. While you are at it you might as well replace the carb manifold, impulse line and fuel line while the saw is opened up.

Tom

H 2 H

Doesn't feel good to repair something with your own two hands ?

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

beenthere

Quote from: H 2 H on December 15, 2013, 11:34:00 AM

I usually do feel good when repairing something myself. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GDinMaine

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Al_Smith

Quote from: GDinMaine on December 15, 2013, 09:25:33 AM
Considering that a new MS390 (391) is around $550 it would be a tough decision to spend $450 on the 10-year-old saw. 
Good golly miss Molly ,that much ?My Lawd I can remember when you could buy an 066 for just a tad more than that clam shell thing .Wow!

I guess I'm blessed with the ability to turn a wrench .For that amount of money I could shake together 3 or 4 from a hodge podge of parts .Might take a while to round up all the parts though .

TLSTWIN

Quote from: hawkins111 on December 15, 2013, 10:35:47 AM
You certainly can not repair either saw with OEM Stihl parts for a reasonable price. If you need a cylinder and piston for either a 025 or MS390, OEM parts are going to cost as much as a new saw. There is a choice however. You can buy a complete motor for a MS390 for $160 from one of the sponsors of this site. It is a bolt in complete engine all sealed up and ready to go. I did also see a brand new complete engine for a MS250 being offered on a auction site for $150 that will fit your 025. That is also a bolt in, ready to go complete engine. Both of these series of saws are easy to work on when it comes to replacing the engine. While you are at it you might as well replace the carb manifold, impulse line and fuel line while the saw is opened up.

Tom
I would be interested in who has the ms390 engine. I can get a complete oem ms250 stihl engine for $150

TLSTWIN

Quote from: H 2 H on December 15, 2013, 11:34:00 AM
Yep, I was a helicopter mechanic in the army, did the performance mods on the camaro in my avatar, built a wrecked bike for a track bike.

H 2 H

Here is a MS 390

And here is a MS 250 motor

Both saws are easy to work on
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Thank You Sponsors!