iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old man with a sawmill

Started by Jimmy Mc, December 09, 2013, 10:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Mc

So the adventure begins. Here in southern Indiana we had an infestation of poplar scales that killed all my poplar trees. After contacting a forestry management guy. The decision to log the woods and sale the poplar and ash was made. I was going to lose them no matter what, so they are gone.
     The logging left a lot of wood that is big enough to saw. My brother in law has a Woodmizer mill, and would help me cut some of the wood that is left. The problem is he works out of state 5 days a week. Once I started looking at mills the price was out of my budget. Then I found the HF mill, with the 25% off coupon it only cost $1523 shipped to my house. That is within my budget. If it doesn't workout for me Ok, I have spent more on less that didn't work out as planned.
     Con-Way trucking called me on Dec. 2 and said my mill would be delivered Dec.5. The weather went south and the mill got hung up somewhere between LA Ca. and St. Louis Mo. It arrived in St. Louis on the Dec.9. Con-Way called me this morning and said they would deliver it tomorrow about noonish. Just so happens I have to take a friend to the hospital in the morning and will not be here. So I am going to pick it up after I get home.
     I am going to post pictures of the mill, puting it together, the trailer I am building to put it on, and any mods done to it. This will be the first mill I have ever ran or even seen run, other than on here and youtube.  To say I have no idea is an under statement. The only thing for sure is it is going to be fun.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

Brucer

I don't get the "old man" part :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DanG

Yes, you are in for an adventure for sure, Jimmy!  And welcome to the forum, by the way. :)  I will be interested to read about it and see some pics.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Nomad

Jimmy you're in for a few challenges, a little head scratching, and a lot of fun!  You'll only feel like an old man the morning after a particularly hard day on the mill. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

chickenchaser

Quote from: Jimmy Mc on December 09, 2013, 10:49:11 PM
  To say I have no idea is an under statement. The only thing for sure is it is going to be fun.

Welcome, Jimmy.

I could have written your post one year ago. I'm 51 and not a big fellow - 5'7" and 160ish. When I started telling people I was getting a sawmill, their reaction was somewhere between   ::)  and   :o 
One very close friend even made the comment  "Who is he going to get to run it?"

I was TOLD things and observed a lot from the sawyer I bought my mill from, but you will find the log to be the best teacher. The saw as well, but the variables, surprises, TESTS....that is usually in the log.

Fun? Maybe that will be your "understatement".   8)

Take care and the very best on your start up.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

ancjr

Howdy neighbor!  The scale only got a couple of my poplar, but EAB has devastated my ash!  Good luck with the new mill!

thecfarm

A sawmill? Lucky you. Yes,it is fun at times. But sometimes it's not. That's what burn piles are for.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Happycamper

jimmy,
Well today is your lucky day as you have found someone that will gladly change places with you. Enjoy the new mill ,I know you will.
                             Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cguignard

Quote from: thecfarm on December 10, 2013, 09:02:21 AM
That's what burn piles are for.  ;D
They are fun 8) until the fire dept. shows up arg-smiley and they never bring hotdogs!
smiley_clapping Congratulations on the new mill, let the learning begin. Don't forget the pictures.

hunterbuild

From one old man to another, the HF mill is still working for me. Get some good blades. I have been using Cooks and they have done well for me. I ordered 10 the first time and then 20 more. I'm using their re-sharp too. I have a skid steer so I get by with no hydraulics. I work alone for the most part, but I like it when I do get some help. I'm cutting mostly pine and western cedar power poles. I made new track so I can cut up to 18ft long trees. I can load it on to my trailer and haul it all if I want.  There is nothing like seeing that lumber come of that mill. I bet I'm older than you.

thecfarm

Cguignard,you can't burn down there in the big city?  :D  I'm out in the country. I just get a burn permit and off it goes. Most of my mistakes go into the OWB. I can remember when we did not need a permit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HaroldSiefke

Hunter build I like to see some pictures of your set up. I have a woodland mill I think the two are a little comparable. Happy sawing.
Harold

Sixacresand

Congratulations on the new mill.  Everyday milling will an adventure.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

kensfarm

You'll have the best holidays ever..  happy sawing! 

Brucer

Someone told me that my friend, John, was planning to retire. I sharpen John's blades for him and he hadn't mentioned it to me. So I asked him. "Not for a few years yet", he told me, "not until I start to feel old."

John has a contract with the local smelter, sawing 2x6 dunnage to keep the zinc ingots from shifting in the boxcars. Considering that they manufacture 900 tonnes per day of zinc, that's a pretty respectable amount of dunnage.

John turned 80 this year ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

chickenchaser

Quote from: Brucer on December 11, 2013, 12:54:53 AM
Someone told me that my friend, John, was planning to retire...
.... "Not for a few years yet", he told me, "not until I start to feel old."
John turned 80 this year ;D.

And now, everybody thinks they have the "right" to retire at - well -  a LOT younger than that.  ::)

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Jimmy Mc

Thanks for all the comments. It is great to see people even older than me still getting out everyday and doing something. You are from all over the country, even have a neighbor close enough to visit, and another HF mill owner.
     I picked up my mill last night, but got home too late to get anything done. Today I got it unpacked and started the build. The bed is on the trailer ready to be permanently mounted.  I am going to make my trailer longer to extend the bed so I can mill a 16 ft. log. We are having a cold spell here and while it is nasty out I am going to make a couple of changes to the mill. It will be a week or two before it is going to be up and running.
I took a lot of pictures, but I have not been able to find the cord that hooks the camera to the computer. Cheryl 'my wife' said if she doesn't find it tomorrow, she will get a new one. Should have pictures up tomorrow.
     If anyone has one of these mills would you post some pictures of you setup. Anything would help. The Woodland mill is similar and pictures of how your setup is would be nice too.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slingshot

Jimmy,
         You should be able to take the card out of the camera and
insert into a card slot in the computer to manage pictures without
using a cord to connect the camera. (if you have this option)

Jimmy Mc

Quote from: Slingshot on December 12, 2013, 08:38:22 AM

Jimmy,
         You should be able to take the card out of the camera and
insert into a card slot in the computer to manage pictures without
using a cord to connect the camera. (if you have this option)

My $1.95 computer doesn't have the option. And Cheryl didn't find a cord today. Going to go the the place she bought the camera and see if they have one. If not will have to order it.

beenthere

QuoteMy $1.95 computer doesn't have the option. And Cheryl didn't find a cord today. Going to go the the place she bought the camera and see if they have one. If not will have to order it.

The computer doesn't have an SD card slot? or the camera doesn't have an SD card, or any removable memory card?

Because for a few bucks, an adapter can be purchased that goes into the USB port that will take the memory cards.
The card reader on computer went belly up, and I use this adapter to interface through one of the USB ports.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

Quote from: beenthere on December 12, 2013, 06:49:13 PMBecause for a few bucks, an adapter can be purchased that goes into the USB port that will take the memory cards.
The card reader on computer went belly up, and I use this adapter to interface through one of the USB ports.

+1.  USB card readers are a great deal, and even let you store files on it like a thumb drive.  Easiest way I've found to transfer images.  The card just comes up like another drive on the computer.  Open a folder, copy them onto the desired location on the hard drive, and you're good to to.  Anything I think I'll post goes onto my --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- account.  It is the easiest way I know of to get the photo onto the forum.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jimmy Mc

Some pics of my mill

The trailer it goes on

setting on the trailer

relocated the bush bar and throttle.

Magicman

I know that you are anxious for sawdust.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!