iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hard to start chain saw

Started by Rowerbeck, December 09, 2013, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowerbeck

I recently used two Husky saws. One brand new and the other relatively new. the brand new one was a Husky 440. It is hard to start and hard to keep running. The other saw is a Husky 346XP. It is great to start. Pull the choke, pull till it coughs, push choke in and next pull it is running, and after it is warmed up it starts on the first pull every time. Why the difference? I am in the market for a saw myself and would love to know why one saw is hard to start and another is great. I lean more toward Stihl myself, but more than brand, I want a saw that works well and starts well.

Brian

thecfarm

Rowerbeck,welcome to the forum. That brand new saw,take it back to the dealer,and tell them to fix it. Something is wrong with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chucker

! if it starts, use it... if it don't start, lose it!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

beenthere

Brian
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I'd suggest that the newer saw just needs the carb adjusted.. and for a few tanks of fuel run through it to get it broken in a bit. And non-ethanol fuel.
The older saw is broken in and has been adjusted to start and run right.

And not sayin that there can't be more things wrong with the new one from misuse or from EPA squeezing down on their rules against pollution, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andyshine77

beenthere is correct. The carb likely just needs a tweak. Every carb is set to a basic tune, a dealer is responsible to make sure it set properly at the time of sale. Keep in mind the carb settings need to be adjusted regularly, do to environmental changes, temperature, humidity altitude and so on.       
Andre.

ladylake

A lot of new saws are set too lean when new and need the limiter caps pulled and adjusted richer either by you or the dealer, some dealers wont do it.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jiles

I have 14 chainsaws. Each one requires a slightly different technique to start.
Like one of my Makita DCS520i--Nine out of Ten times, they will start on the FIRST pull but if they don't you have to release choke and it will crank on the Second or Third pull.
If I pull twice with choke on, it floods.
One reason for this is the "i" in the model number indicates it has an injector that injects gas into the carb instead of shutting off air.
I know neither of your saws have this type choke but even though you may have two identical saws, one may start easier then the other and one reason may be that it is in better tune then the other.
Satisfy needs before desires

ladylake

Not counting fuel injection saws will start easyier cold when the low adjuster is open farther which allow the choke to pull fuel into the engine easyier. Also make sure the choke is closing all the way.   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

clww

I agree with what thecfarm posted.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ladylake

I might take a brand new saw back to a dealer, would I trust them to do it right NO.  They already did it wrong if he got it home and it isn't working right, it should have been adjusted right befor taking it home.   Steve

Philbert

Same gas/mix in both saws?

In addition to the comments above, a little bit of moisture can make your life miserable.

The only saws I have that always start first try are my electrics!

(Welcome to the Forum).

Philbert

bandmiller2

As Steve says its most likely a carb adjust principally the low or idle screw,Madsons site has some very good adjust tips. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John R

Quote from: ladylake on December 10, 2013, 09:28:58 AM

A lot of new saws are set too lean when new and need the limiter caps pulled and adjusted richer either by you or the dealer, some dealers wont do it.    Steve
Then it's for sure time to find a different dealer.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

JohnG28

I thought most dealers won't pull the caps and retune due to regulations? Am I incorrect?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AdkStihl

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 20, 2013, 10:09:29 PM
I thought most dealers won't pull the caps and retune due to regulations? Am I incorrect?
Incorrect.
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

Quote from: AdkStihl on December 20, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: JohnG28 on December 20, 2013, 10:09:29 PM
Incorrect.

Oh, ok. I have never asked one to, have just done it myself. I thought EPA considerations kept them from doing so. Good to know.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jiles

I think it would void WARRANTY?????
Satisfy needs before desires

Andyshine77

Quote from: Jiles on December 20, 2013, 10:41:34 PM
I think it would void WARRANTY?????

No!!! Every dealer is supposed to adjust the saw "or any other OPE engine" for proper tune before it's given to the owner. Many dealers are however too lazy, or they simply don't know any better. The dealer however must reinstall the limiters so the owner can't turn the screws more than 1/4 of a full turn. Some carbs are fully adjustable, but require a spline or double D screwdriver. 
Andre.

ladylake

You hit the nail on the head, some dealer are to lazy and quite a few are incompetent as I've got quite a few saws straight from dealers  that were adjusted any where from burn up lean to pig rich.  It's best to learn and adjust yourself.   Steve

NCFarmboy

Quote from: ladylake on December 21, 2013, 06:33:22 AM
You hit the nail on the head, some dealer are to lazy and quite a few are incompetent as I've got quite a few saws straight from dealers  that were adjusted any where from burn up lean to pig rich.  It's best to learn and adjust yourself.   Steve
Agree w/Steve learn to do it yourself.  To address the OP's problem try turning L screw counter clockwise.  If it's allready on the stop Dealer time or the above.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Spike60

Well first off, the little Husky 440 has no limiter caps to remove. It is adjusted with the special splined tool. And like most saws it definitely needs to be adjusted by the dealer in order to run right. Both hi and lo settings will need some attention, but it is the lo speed setting that is causing the OP's hard start issue.

Dealers doing their job? I'd say half do and half don't. And of course NONE of the saws sold at Lowes, TSC and such are adjusted are they? Usually doesn't cause the saw to fry, but hard starting, poor acceleration and low power don't make for a happy ownership experience.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Andyshine77

People would be amazed how long and well a 100 dollar Poulan Wiled Thing will run with a properly tuned carb and fresh fuel.  :christmas:
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!