iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractors

Started by Onthesauk, December 09, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Quite amazing!

A 850 H.P. John Deere diesel vs. a steam tractor rated 18 H.P?

It's all about torque and traction...  enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=FLQhvruimfs
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

stamper

nice...people underestimate the power of steam....the steam engine has power on both sides of the piston.
The expansion rate is 1700 to 1 if I remember correctly
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

chevytaHOE5674

The steam engine also lots more weight than the JD tractor.

thecfarm

Them steam engine had some weight,16-18-20 ton??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDDfarmer

cool video, will have to show the kids.

Would be nice to see the same pull with a comparable weight tractor.  read someplace about a horse-pull where they had a 40 hp tractor and it had a hard time moving some of the sleds that the heavy horses were pulling.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

Looks to me that the soil is pretty light too.
I agree that weight has a lot to do with it as well as low speed torque.
That JD must be hopped up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Corley5

The steamer's got a real advantage with the higher hitch point too  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JJ

HP can be miss-leading as it is function of work/time.
faster engine (higher RPM) gives higher HP rating.
seemed the steam tractor needed to stop, to allow steam pressure to rebuild, lowering its HP rating as takes longer to cover same distance.
I agree, torque and weight win in pull-off, but I would want the diesel if I had back forty to plow, so I would have time for few beers after.
Great Video!!

JJ

dail_h

I never did think Moline Green n Yellow were all that anyway> Need runnin for cover icon
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

stamper

The steamer has  full steam the whole time, The plume of steam behind the stack is the pressure relief valve.
The valve is open through the whole video. I think the engineer was taking it easy with the engine.
I agree that he also has a weight advantage and the hitch point is also in his favor.
-Tom Petty

thecfarm

How many hp was the big steam one putting out? I thought those did not put out many hp? Maybe 20-30?? But the weight was the key thing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

That is why, at tractor pulls, they are classified by weight.   :)
Say when

SawyerBrown

You've all hit the nail on the head with the fact that the old steamer has a lot more weight and traction, so if it has enough "power" then it's going to win every time.  As Roxie pointed out, that's why tractor pulls are classified by weight, not power.

What you all missed, though, was the power/torque side.  It all comes down to "rim pull", which is a combination of engine torque (not power, since power is a function of torque and speed) and torque reduction/amplification through the transmission.  The Deere is rooster-tailing dirt everywhere, which is impressive for a tractor pull, but not the right direction for producing rim pull.  The old steamer wheels are barely turning, which means that there is a huge gear reduction from engine to wheels and producing a ton of rim pull.  That's why you use low gears when pulling something rather than high gears ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

maple flats

I'll bet if the steam powered tractor was pulling from lower than the "Deere" it would still win. It's the same with some workers now, they go fast but get less done than the experienced worker does at his "slow" pace. As for a team of horses out pulling a 40 HP tractor, same thing. Those horses are bigger, don't get stuck and if a foot slips, they just move it if necessary. That's the same relationship it had with by brothers logging back in the late 80's and early '90's, I had a fancy 20 hp 4x4 diesel with 12 speeds forward, but a single horse could out pull the tractor by a large margin. We also had another advantage with the horse, once he knew where to go, he pulled without a driver while U felled and bucket into logs and my brother blocked them up and loaded the 1 ton stake dump at the landing. My tractor would have gotten in trouble in a hurry drying to drive itself.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

stamper

steam engine appears to be a 2 cylinder, a high pressure cylinder [small] and a low pressure cylinder [big]
steam  goes into the small one first, and then exhausts in to the big one. [more efficient I think]
I know there is a way to put full pressure in both...to get some big increase in HP.
Some of this might be wrong..I'm a fan of steam not an owner
This is called a cross compound I think
-Tom Petty

Thank You Sponsors!