iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sucker rods

Started by LeeB, February 05, 2002, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Really breaking my record here. Two replys and a whole new thread in just two days. All this typing makes my head hurt. Does any one know what type of wod was used for windmill sucker rods? Got the windmill, old well not currently in use, and sucker rods. The rods I have are quite old and dry rotted. Thought I would cut the ends off and make new ones, just don't have a clue what wood to use. Thanx, LeeB :P
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

I'm not too experienced with windmills.  What is a sucker rod?  Maybe we can work from what it is supposed to do and figure from there.

If you could post a picture of a rod, that would help greatly.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I was under the impression it was the rod that went down the wel casing that had the pump leathers on it, with the other end attaching to the windmill mechanics (cam?)

Do I win?  I would think the wood wood have to be supple, durable and strong plus rot resistant.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

LeeB, your over my head.  Are you talking about the rod that reaches from the fan axle to the well and runs up and down in the well?   Grandad used a piece of quarter or three eights iron rod on his, as I remember.  Some were brazed to length and some had  piece of pipe with bolts in the sides that were used for a sleeve to tie the rod together for the right length. Pieces of metal can be brazed cross-wise on the rod to keep and errant piece from falling into the well if something comes loose.  Is This what you are talking about or is a sucker rod something else? :-/

Kevin

Tom

Wow !  Leave it to Kevin

Brought home the bacon again  ! !        8)

my 1000th post

Kevin

Hey, that was tough!

LeeB

Thanks Kevin. Not only did you answer mw question, you did a good job of answering everyone elses. Boy!!! Wooden rods are expensive. With me already having the ends  it should be a snap to make my own. Now I just need to find white ash around here. Not much hope of that. A yard tree would be about the only chance and I dont see many that tall. MAybe some other wood would work? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

Locust?
Kevin, didn't your mama tell you your face might get stuck like that :D.

Kevin

Yes Don, she did.
But not until it was too late!

DanG

Lee, I've got an old wooden sucker rod in my barn, right here in the north of Florida. I'll try to take a look tomorrow, and see if I can tell what it is.  I've got a feeling that it's heart pine, just like everything else around this place. The old boy that used to farm here wasn't likely to order them from Monkey Ward, rest their pore dead souls.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

I would think white oak will work just fine. Just be DanG sure it is white oak and not red oak. Red oak is full of straws and will rot on yah faster than you can stick it down the well. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

I imagine you could also use cypress or osage orange for rot resistance.  But, the reason for using ash wasn't for its durability as ash will rot rather quickly.  It was for its ability to bend.  

Similar species for bending strength includes:  beech, dogwood, rock elm, honeylocust, hickory, hard maple, black locust, oak, persimmon, and walnut.  Similar softwoods would include:  longleaf pine and slash pine.

I'd opt for the hickory.  Makes great handles and bentwood rockers.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I've got some 16' white ash in the barn that Grandpa Bob sawed for Grandpa Whittaker just for well rods.  It never got used because the next time the old well quit he had a 4" with a submersible put in.  We had a set of rods which came out Grandpa Bob's old well(185'), that he made out of ash.  He pulled them when he had his new well put down, they were still very good and the auctioneer couldn't even get a bid on them at Grandpa's estate sale.  We threw 'em in the dumpster.  We also sold an Aeromotor windmill at the sale.  I was really surprised to see they still make them and they are pretty much unchanged.  The motor looks identical.  Cool site Kevin, I even requested a catalog.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Kevin did you add the link to our directory?

Kevin

Art said he would, he didn`t ?

L. Wakefield

I'd heard the term in use in connection with the oil wells in WV. They had a maintenance process they did every so often called 'swabbing the well', and they'd bring out a bunch of lengths of sucker rod to join together to do it. I don't know if it was just for oil wells or for gas wells that also had some oil production and would get gummed up if the thicker crude were not removed. Most likely the latter.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

QuoteArt said he would, he didn`t ?

Dunno, Art gets pretty busy. :) Thought you would do it for him.

Kevin

There`s no "What Have You"
Where would you like it placed?

Jeff

Are you talking about a length of sucker rod? Or the Link?

Kevin

Now that`s funny!   :D

Jeff

https://forestryforum.com/directory/Forest_Products_Misc_.shtml
I would title it windmill wooden sucker rods so if someone else ever has a need for it in this lifetime it comes up in a search  :D

Kevin

I see

• chainsaw mills
  • bandsaw mills
  • circ mills
but no wind mills  :-/

Frank_Pender

When I first saw this thread I began to think more in the literal sense than the figurative sense.  My thread of thinking began down an old skid road of fishing and luring some poor fish onto a hook.  The fish I felt was going to be some critter like myself that was going all the way, hook, line and sinker.  However, I soon came to realise that it was a truth fact that there is such an object as a "sucker rod" and I was not going to be the sucker on the end of someones fishing pole and line. Thanks a "whack" for the good bit of learnin, folks. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!