iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1964 TJ - Struggling to bleed new fuel filters

Started by nurtons, December 08, 2013, 04:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurtons

1964 Timberjack with the ford super major diesel engine.  Just replaced two fuel filters and am struggling to get the fuel  air the fuel to flow through the filters now I did pre-fill the filter cartridges with fuel beforeSome air did bleed out of  to flow through the filter pair.  I did pre-fill each filter with fuel prior to full reassemply.  Then did try to bleed each filter cartridge individually with the one closest to the tank first.  But fuel will not come through the filter assembly.  The machine will run fine if the filter assembly is by passed.  Of note it was -4 degrees celcius when the filters were swaped, water maybe?  Rubber oring moved out of place......any ideas or suggestions to test?  Thank you in advance.

ABTS

For sure check the o-ring . can you manually prime or do you have to crank it over you could try ether just be careful .What kind of engine. Does it have a intake heater or glow plugs than do not use ether. Sounds like you have apossible air leak .

nurtons

The manual prime does not appear to be working at all, unfortunately.  I was cranking it over.  The engine is the four cylinder ford super major.  No glow plugs we use the heater hoses connected to the cooling system of pick up to warm up the engine before starting it, this makes it so much more easier for the engine to turn over.  Air leak in one of the gaskets or bolts that hold the cartridges on?  I will look at that and the orings --- Thank you !!

Upnorth

Hi Nurton,

I had a TJ 205 with the Ford diesel. Without fail, every fuel filter change caused grief with the first start. A 12V electric in line fuel pump helps, $90 or so at any auto parts store. Crack the injectors and keep cranking. There must be a better way, but always worked for me. Hated to work a starter like that, but it never let me down.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Thank You Sponsors!