iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100% Oxygen

Started by kenskip1, May 27, 2004, 12:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

OK,all of you that have modified saw owners. You all know who you are. A remedy for this illness is still in the research and  developmant stages by the AMA. Speeking of, has anyone ever tried running 100% pure oxygen in their saws? I have heard about burning Nitro, Alchol methane  and so on.A small bottle of 100% oxygen is rather inexpensive and could be turned on by the press of a button. As long as this spring triggered button would be depressed the engine would be getting it. (Litterally.) A small amount would do a lot for the horsepower. However you might have to richen it up just a tad.
Just thought that I wood pass this bit of information along.
How about feeding an engine some gunpowder? Might get blown away!!!  Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

jokers

Hey Ken,

Isn`t the normal atmospheric oxygen concentration somewhere between 19-21%? Seems like 100% oxygen would make it run way lean.

Russ

tony_marks

pardon my ignorance on the subject ... any saw cranked so that ti air in the mix is 100 percent oygen,,would be done at a safe distance ,by somebody else..just speculating understand..
 sounds to me like an explosion waitin to happen..jmo
  but try it an let us know,

Ianab

Interesting idea alright.
4 times the oxygen would need 4 times the fuel. Might have problems with pre-detonation.. or just detonation  :o
Sounds more like the design for an auxillary engine for a space shuttle ???
I suspect that attempting the mod on a standard saw engine would result in launching fragments of hot alloy in an un-controlled manner.
I'd still like to watch... from a safe distance. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

james

lets see a 60cc saw , pure oxy/mixed with gas should be about 20 cc of gas and for the best combustion mix then on the compression stroke would explode at about 15 psi with the force of a stick of dynamite or sow a suggested "safe watchingdistance to avoid the shrapnel would be about 75 ft or so! :o :o :o

Hunter

BOOM! :o

I would be a little hesiatnat to run and oxygen saw.

Still would be a neet idea. 8)

Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Mark M

To get an idea what this would be like - take a lit cigarette and hold a cutting torch up to the end you put in your mouth. Depress the lever and shoot a little oxygen (only) into the cigarette. It looks pretty much like a railroad flare, maybe a little more violent!

Oh yeah - it's not good to have reducing agents (gasoline, fuel oil, paint thinner, etc.) around oxidizers (02). That's why it says don't use oil on oxygen regulators. Redox reactions can be pretty spectacular! Same reaction as fuel oil and nitrate fertilizer.......BOOM

incognitive

Seems to me there was a bit of a problem with a highly pure oxygen environment in a space capsule once upon a time...

If you could get it safely lit, would you even need fuel with pure O2?

slowzuki

This would be the same approach as nitrous oxide ;D  just a little heavier on the O2.  It the saw held together, it would surely melt down soon after.  5 x the power = 5 x the amount of heat that needs to get rejected!

Ken

kenskip1

Well
 Like the while cyote said, "Back to the old drawing board"
 Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

Mark M

I know iron will burn in an oxygen rich atmosphere and imagine aluminum will too.

I like nitrous oxide, it's my favorite gas (and the only reason I go to the dentist). 8)

Helium is my second favorite. My dog goes nuts when I inhale a little helium from a balloon and then talk to her. ;D ;D

slowzuki

Have to get it to an elevated temperature first.  Temps in a 2 stroke combustion chamber are much higher than the melting temp of aluminum but a thin skim or boundary layer stays near the walls and insulates the engine.  When knock occurs the boundary layer is stripped off and you can melt pistons etc.

Hard to believe but the flame inside the engine burns at rates measured in inches per second (can't recall off hand any #'s) but the mixture is twisted and folded around so much the contents burn very quickly but it is an even rise in pressure.  During knock this spread of flame happens much too rapidly and the entire charge explodes at once.

QuoteI know iron will burn in an oxygen rich atmosphere and imagine aluminum will too.

LKasdorf

Umm...do you really need more power out of your chainsaw engine that badly? How about just buyng a bigger saw? Or a sharper chain?

I guess hopping up a chainsaw is just a wacky concept to me. It seems to me that everything is probably pretty well optimized on a well designed saw already.

Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about in this regard- just hypothesising.

Interesting thought experiment, though- the oxygen thing.

etat

I think it's a GREAT idea.  But get someone who can stand far away with a video camera.  I wanna see it when it blows!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Mark M

I'd rather just have somma dat nitrous oxide. 8)

kenskip1

OK
  All of you that have sent in your posts.My origional plan was to inject a very small amount of 100% oxygen into the engine. It seems as if things may have gotten out of hand.Just a small amount of this could help increase Horse power greatly. How about richining the mixture and injecting  propane?Extra oil would be required but this should be know problem.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

ehp

is this for fun or was this question for racing, first you are not allowed any pressure systems in racing, so no nitrous, no pressured fuel tanks , nothing , i know they took all the fun out of it, now i have seen on the drag strip a car that had a oxegen tank in the trunk hooked up to the air cleaner so the only air it could was from the tank , not sure on how much air pressure the car had but it worked , the guy said he knocked 4 sec. off his time, now on a 2 stroke it would work as long as you donot go to crazy on the pressure and you would have to modified your carb to put out more fuel as long as you keep the fuel to air  ratio it will work but i think i will pass on that one

Thank You Sponsors!