iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identity the year model of a 230TJ

Started by riverlogger, December 07, 2013, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverlogger

I'm looking at a fixer upper 230 timberjack. The serial number is 7915xx. Can someone help me pinpoint the year model of this machine. Thanks

lynde37avery

call up a timberjack repair place. "Swinton equipment" in NY state. not far from western MA "my area" they get all our timberjack parts, and they know them very well. or our other old timer TJ parts guy would know "Francis Brown" he is listed on yellow pages as well I think. I have seen all his TJ manuals, and its all hes ever done. he would know for sure by serial #
Detroit WHAT?

nedly05

Swinton's are awesome, they can help you out no doubt. They've done work for us over the years, they definitely know they're stuff!

riverlogger

Ken

My 1980 TJ has a serial # that is 801881 so I suspect yours may be a 79 given the start of the serial #.  I do know however that those numbers did not all correspond that way so I could be wrong.  A picture would help
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Neilo

It is probably around 1977-78. Serial No. doesn't relate to year directly. This is from what I can sort out with the parts manual 0722-11

riverlogger

I just tried to download a pic of the machine but the photo process on the forum is over my head.

riverlogger

One of the not working issues with the machine is the EATON 220508 winch. I'm not familiar with this winch. Is it a relatively reliable part. Also the planetary covers look like the ones from a 1980 665 Clark I owned years ago as opposed to the ones I have always seen on small 200 series TJ's. I appreciate all of your knowledge and input. This site is awesome!

thecfarm

riverlogger,welcome to the forum.
have you seen this for posting pictures?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

read it,don't miss a step. If you can run a computer,you can put pictures on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

The planatarys are most likely Rockwell if they look similar to the ones on a 665 cause the Eatons didn't have the bolts going around the cover I think they switched to eaton in the 230s around 76 but not sure it may have more to do with how it was ordered though
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Neilo

What model No. is the skidder? If it is a 230gse or 230gseew, it is telling you it has Eaton Axles. I think the move to Eaton axles on the 230 was all machines after no. 787062  and then the Eaton WR31 axle from No. 790430. The move to Eaton axles on the 225 was a factory option.

What is the problem with the winch?

Neilo

riverlogger

The vin plate doesn't give a model it just says 230 so I assumed it was an A model. It has an AT540 auto transmission in it. The owner stated that the winch only needs a small hose replaced as it was working perfectly when parked but now will not retrieve the cable. It also says that it is unit # 5276 on the vin plate. Thanks

Maine logger88

An A model would be an 84 or newer I think maybe 83 and they would have a sloped hood as opposed to a flat hood on the D and E models

Neilo

The powershift was introduced as model at serial no. 788872. They were called the 230gpe which became the 230gaeew and there was a 230gpec and 230gaeen with a narrow butt pan. These were the only pre-A series with a at540 in them. I don't have any material late enough to cover the A series.

When you try and winch in, the 'small hose' should have hydraulic pressure (both brake and clutch) so if it is a hose failure, you should have a decent fluid leek. Check under the right side of the winch when control is in the winch in position. You should see fluid either from the hose, or the clutch pack cylinder if that is the problem.

If you don't have a leak there, either there is no pressure on that side of the winch control valve, or the clutch won't engage. Also make sure the drive shaft to the winch is rotating when transfer case in neutral and transmission in gear.

Neilo

riverlogger

I finally got a new device that will still use adobe flash player so I can download pics. Yahoo!!!!!!! If anyone out there that is a tj expert has the time could you tell me approx what year model and series model machine I have here. thanks

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

lynde37avery

230D late 70's. it looks just like one we run. and its a 1978.

Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

I would say 78 or 79 my 79 225 looks just like that except that one has Eaton rear ends

riverlogger

I appreciate all the input and info. How can I  know what series it is if its not listed on the vin plate. What can you guys that run these machines tell me about these old tractors? What do I need to look for and watch out for? I know that the engine must be rebuilt immediately before anything else can be diagnosed but if you know of any tricks and shortcuts to help me get her running quicker I would greatly appreciate it.

David-L

That is a 78 or up D model. Those are the good planetaries and as far as the winch, look for oil leaks and take a bar to see if the drum moves at all( bearings ) and that clutch piston is somewhat pricey. could be just the line going to it, some have a swivel fitting and can leak there. the brake cylinder is easy to rebuild. looks like a nice jack and good luck in getting it. Imo it is the cheapest machine to run in the woods daily and they are workhorses for sure.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

River logger , where are you located. I might have a line on an ok 353 that could be swapped out if it is still available.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

riverlogger

Thanks David. I am located in Northwest Georgia so I am pretty far removed from most of the regulars on the forum. I have been logging for (on/off between grading and land clearing) over 25 years. I owned one cable skidder years ago that was a clark 665 and I have regretted selling it ever since. I have ran many many many log skidders in my time but never a 200 series Jack. I really look forward to getting her up and running and seeing what she can do. Thanks for all of your help.

Neilo

I am sticking to it being about a '77-78 230GPE (D Series). Have a look for stamped numbers on the pumpkins. S17469A indicates an early Eaton W3127 axle. S22990 indicates the Eaton WR31 axle. I think yours will have the WR31.

As well as what has been suggested, check for float in the transfer case inputs and outputs. Simple to rebuild but often bearings worn due to input running but machine left stationary. Other than that, check fluids. If they are low, obviously they have probably been leaking when it ran.

Neilo

Thank You Sponsors!