iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sketchup housings

Started by rmack, December 07, 2013, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

I think this is probably the right place for this question as it relates to a problem that involves putting housings/mortises in timbers.

this is a file showing the two skid beams that form the base for a shed I am going to build, they will be tied together using hss cross bracing and 1/2 x 4" plates bolted to the beams.

some how, I lost a face on one side of the timber, when I try replace it I loose sight of the pockets on that side, if I delete the surface over the pocket I lose the whole side again... any ideas how to fix this?

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Ljohnsaw

Can you save it back to a version 8 file?  It says you have version 13 (which I cannot load) and I don't see a way to upgrade my purchased version.  They came out with the new version right after I bought mine and wanted more money to upgrade at the beginning of 2013.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

dukndog

rmack,

I believe you may not have created it as a component before editing the cut out's for the 1/2" plates. I re-drew it for ya.
Now, I know you ask how to fix it and this was just easier for me to do.
1. Created a 11"x11"x18' timber, notched at each end 5 1/2"x 5 1/2".
2. Created it as a component.
3. Edited timber in component mode to measurements taken off of original. Did push in for 1/2" for plate recess. Did push for 1/4"r (1/2") hole for bolts.
4. Choose timber by just making outline blue, did move while holding down ctrl key, which makes a copy of the original. Moved it to equal 6' on outside edges.

Hope this helps!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

giant splinter

Dukndog,
I dont think that helps the guys with the old version, the file increased in size 161.2 kb. to 229.4 kb. and at least in my case its still asking me to sign up for version 13.
roll with it

rmack

Quote from: dukndog on December 07, 2013, 04:54:33 PM
rmack,

I believe you may not have created it as a component before editing the cut out's for the 1/2" plates. I re-drew it for ya.
Now, I know you ask how to fix it and this was just easier for me to do.
1. Created a 11"x11"x18' timber, notched at each end 5 1/2"x 5 1/2".
2. Created it as a component.
3. Edited timber in component mode to measurements taken off of original. Did push in for 1/2" for plate recess. Did push for 1/4"r (1/2") hole for bolts.
4. Choose timber by just making outline blue, did move while holding down ctrl key, which makes a copy of the original. Moved it to equal 6' on outside edges.

Hope this helps!

Rich Miller

thanks, that does the trick. btw, did you make a component out of the pockets and holes and then move them along the beam that way? I think it was during that process that the one side disappeared.

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 07, 2013, 04:03:54 PM
Can you save it back to a version 8 file?  It says you have version 13 (which I cannot load) and I don't see a way to upgrade my purchased version.  They came out with the new version right after I bought mine and wanted more money to upgrade at the beginning of 2013.
Quote from: giant splinter on December 07, 2013, 06:03:16 PM
Dukndog,
I dont think that helps the guys with the old version, the file increased in size 161.2 kb. to 229.4 kb. and at least in my case its still asking me to sign up for version 13.

mine is sketchup 2013 make (free) version. I think you can upgrade any pro version for about $100.00. they also have a path where you can upgrade no charge if a newer pro version comes out within a year of purchasing yours. I think I'll stick with the free version until I get a few more miles under my belt.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

dukndog

File size increase was due to more data in the plan. I kept rmack's original sketch and added to it.

As for SU2013, it is free and I installed it in a separate folder from SU8. I use both since most of my plans are still in SU8.

Rmack, I made the beam a component, then edited it and added the cutouts. They are not separate components.

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

rmack

Quote from: dukndog on December 08, 2013, 08:33:40 AM
Rmack, I made the beam a component, then edited it and added the cutouts. They are not separate components.

Rich Miller

thanks Rich, I saved my beams to a different file and built on yours, this is what I have so far.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

rmack

I had another crack at drawing those beams today, made a dedicated component object for the pocket/hole assembly and it went together good. File size dropped to 142k

this software is a hoot once you start getting the better of it.  :)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!