iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FF members in MI and ME without power

Started by Jim_Rogers, December 25, 2013, 11:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

The weather channel says there are over 100,000 customers in ME and some in MI still without power.

I personally saw a convoy of power company trucks heading up RT95 from MA through NH to ME last night. At least 20 trucks including tree trimmer trucks, lineman trucks, 6-wheel support trucks and pickup trucks.

These men have volunteered to go to ME to help the families up there that have lost power due to the ice storm.

They have said some won't get power back until Saturday.

I hope we can hear from some of our FF members in ME and MI and let us know how they are doing, and if they are ok.

Thinking of them on this Christmas day.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

I only lost power for 2 hours,very,very lucky. Temps was down in the single numbers last and tonight too.  :o  Hard for those with no power. I would expect there are some people in thier home with sweatshirts on. I had a hard time with my internet service. Poor me.  ::) The hill is in sight of my back door,but no power to it. I just got it back about an hour ago. I have family in the Augusta area. They got hit hard. The family members just got power on at 3:30 this morning.There is someone I know about 10 minutes from me that live on a dead end dirt road and he had no power last night. I think Waldo County got hit hard too. We went into town yesterday and 10 minutes from here we saw less ice on the trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you're ok.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Warbird

Glad you guys are alright thecfarm.  Hope everyone else is too.

snowstorm

power went out here monday am just came on. it is a mess here. one of the town officials followed me cutting trees so i could sand roads. i told him i didnt like the way he cut wood. a tree that was 30' tall if the last 10' was in the rd that was all he cut. i would think the other 20' would go upright at high speed. them when more ice formed the same tree was in the road again. i keep telling him its just a grey birch nothing but a weed and its in the rd right of way 

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on December 25, 2013, 06:28:05 PM
I only lost power for 2 hours,very,very lucky. Temps was down in the single numbers last and tonight too.  :o  Hard for those with no power. I would expect there are some people in thier home with sweatshirts on. I had a hard time with my internet service. Poor me.  ::) The hill is in sight of my back door,but no power to it. I just got it back about an hour ago. I have family in the Augusta area. They got hit hard. The family members just got power on at 3:30 this morning.There is someone I know about 10 minutes from me that live on a dead end dirt road and he had no power last night. I think Waldo County got hit hard too. We went into town yesterday and 10 minutes from here we saw less ice on the trees.
waldo county got hit real hard. almost all were without power.

thecfarm

snowstorm,That is too bad. As I said I was very lucky. Most times I would be like Augusta area or Waldo.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MrPete

I was one of the lucky ones.  There was power lost all around me to some degree but I never lost it at all.  By the sound of the news tonight most everyone will be back on tomorrow.  But by looks of things on the national news Michigan got it alot worse than we did.

samandothers

Sorry to hear of the tough times.  It is amazing to learn how much we depend on electricity until it is gone. 

Thanks to the folks that are responding and though part of the job are giving up family time at Christmas.

WmFritz

A brother of mine has been without power since Sunday a.m. He's kept the gas furnace going with the generator, but couldn't power the well. He had to rough it by dipping water from the hot tub to flush the toilet.  :D 
By Monday he decided enough of that and went hunting for a couple 220v plugs and 12-3 wire. He struck out on both. Everyplace he checked was sold out. Tuesday morning he called me about 6:30 and told me of his luck. He was on his way back into town to try again and scored at his nearest Menards that had gotten some in overnight.

His generator has ran for 90+ hrs  now and burned around 24 gallons of fuel, but he's not complaining. The power company is not sure if power will be restored by Saturday.   :-\
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thechknhwk

We have thankfully survived the power outages.  Others to our south have not been so fortunate.  There has been news of warming shelters open in flint to house those without heat and the like.

MIsawyer

We still have alot of folks with out power here just north of lansing but expecting it back soon. I want to stress the importance of safe use of generators weve had one casualtie and many more hospitalized due to carbon monoxide exposure. Be safe people never run run generator in an enclosed building or even in a garage.

thecfarm

I saw this on local news tonight.This was a controlled test.They had a generator at the opening of a garage door. The garage door was open.They had one of those carbon monoxide sensor next to it. In less than 20 seconds that sensor was getting so high readings it could not read it. They was kept repeating,at least 20 feet from any open door or window.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just saw this on the news again. Power companies working as hard as they can go.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Seem like we are down to 2000 without power. That is good!!

WmFritz

As of Friday morning; about 52,000 homes in Michigan still without power. Temperatures are expected to  get above freezing this weekend and cause further problems from ice on the lines thawing.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

JohnM

We lost power Mon (23rd) around noon and got it back Wed around 1pm.  Lost it again yesterday (28th) for about 5hrs.  Have friends in Winterport that lost it Mon to Fri but they had a generator at least, our woodstoves got us through it.  There are still people out in Hancock county and the snow tonight isn't going to help and deep freeze to follow. :(

Few pics of our world during the outage...

Outside the dining room window.

I'm not a coffee drinker but I wasn't going without my tea. ;D ::)  Broke out the backpacking stove.

Melting water for the toilets. wait_smiley

I had moved the Lucas out of the back field and put the powerhead in the garage and the rest in a back room of the house...all but the long rails. :(

This trail is normally completely open.

Went down to the pond yesterday after the power went out again and cut a hole in the ice.  No more melting snow on the stove! >:(

Pam making sure we can still talk to Grandma. :)

Hoping to get through this next storm and cold snap with power but especially hope that those that are still down get it back ASAP!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Stephen1

I did not lose power for very long, 1hr tops. 300,000 lost power in the city, Toronto, the last of them will get it back today. Hydro predicts the clean up costs for the city at 10,000,000$. 1 million per day for all the crews brought in.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!