iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crosscuts

Started by Big timber little dozer, December 06, 2013, 08:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big timber little dozer

any one still use them regularly other than competition ???
Yep that's what I thought

Maine372

welcome to the forum!

trail maintenance crews in the white mountains of NH use them in areas where motorized tools are disallowed, or where lugging saw (plus gas, oil, tools, chains, etc) is too much hassle.

Ive done some demonstrations with vintage saws at museums, and one guy does a demo at the common ground fair.

is that your OC3 in kingfield?

thecfarm

OC3?? I have no idea what that is. Maybe I saw one in Kingfield too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

thecfarm, I was intrigued also...and bored...an OC3 is eveidently a '50's model Oliver dozer, believe they had both gas and diesel motors.

thecfarm

Not up on dozers. I might of seen it,but would not mean much to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quotebelieve they had both gas and diesel motors

Just gas.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

Like I said, I was bored. I'm still curios as to the OP's reported age of 14...hope he comes back to clarify.

Big timber little dozer

yes i have a gas job oc3 and yes i am 14 but it it is located in North Yarmoth ME not in kings field 

Big timber little dozer

Al_Smith

For those who don't know those little crawlers only weighed about 2 tons bare tractor minus blade winch or whatever .They used an IXKA Hercules flat head 4 cylinder gasoline engine of about 20 HP and aprox 120 cu inch.

Most of them had a straight 3 speed tranny .A few of them had another inline gear reducer that really geared them down .In low gear with a reducer I think a snail could go faster but those little crawlers although small didn't run out of power .

mad murdock

Welcome BigTimber little dozer!!  I have a healthy complement of crosscuts, 1 man and 2 man. All of mine are lance tooth saws optimized for cutting softwood. One of my 2 man saws I think was used as a topping saw, and has a single west coast style handle on it. The open end, though it could accept a file, by some of the wear on the end teeth, makes me believe this is so. It is a 4 1/2 footer. I recently acquired a longer 2 man about 6 1/2'. My one man style saws are a 3 footer and a 4'. Tuned up set and sharp, they can throw some nice chips!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thenorthman

Some of the amish still use em, (depends on their order...) Your national forest service and parks dept. still use them for trial maintenance on wilderness land.

I have several of them kinda know how to sharpen em, but chainsaws are more fun...

well that didn't work

Offthebeatenpath

I've got quite a collection of crosscuts too.  Probably more than twenty kicking around in the basement, but most need to be cleaned up and sharpened.  Mostly 48 and 60 inchers.  There's a nice Simonds #222 and 315... Mostly perforated lance tooth, but also some interesting Great American tooth, plain tooth, and M tooth patterns.  I actually still use them because I do trail work in the Wilderness areas of NH, as Maine 372 mentioned.

As long as there are areas that don't allow chainsaws (i.e. congressionally designated wilderness), there will be people using crosscuts and axes.  I hope that never changes...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!