iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm a Poor Wife

Started by Magicman, December 06, 2013, 08:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Since Pat's back surgery two weeks ago, I have done what I know how to do and what I have been told to do, but I am still a wreck, failure, or whatever else you would call being completely out of my comfort zone.

The church ladies have brought several meals, and there is Chinese take out, but I have not done well in the food department.  I am satisfied with sandwiches, but that will not work but just a few times.

Then there is dish washing.  I have learned to clean up immediately at the end of the meal, wipe off the table,  and put everything up.  No dirty dishes is a good thing.

The whites go in one washing load and the colored clothes go in another.  When the drier buzzer goes off, the clothes come out immediately or you will be fluffing them with a little more run time.

The beds hafta be changed.  Everything comes off and to the washer I go.  Meanwhile I gotta wrestle with putting the clean sheets, etc. on the bed.

Oh DanG, it is lunchtime and I have not even thought about lunch.  Chinese takeout will work only once.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sonofman

MM, that sounds like my life, as I am a bachelor.  :D :D All the good local restaurants know me by name now.
Located due west of Due West.

firecord

MM you beat my first wife by a mile!  If I didn't already have numder 2, i might have gave you a shot.  those are fine qualitys in a woman.  Just kiddin. cant wait to meet you mon or tuesday ill be in rusk one of those days.  your wife has a good man.  there are few left. as my moma says

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Magic....where were you when I had the Flu?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Sounds like devotion to me, Lynn.  :-*
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pigman

I know where you are coming from Lynn. It is hard for us old dogs to learn new tricks. I have been doing the house work for the last six months. I would rather saw dry hickory than do house work.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pineywoods

Lynn, I know exactly where you are coming from. I tend to put the dirty dishes right in the dishwasher, without scrubbing them in the sink, the wash water from from the dishwasher goes right into the pipe under the sink. When I need clean socks or underwear, get them out of the drier where they are left after drying....both completely un-acceptable. You didn't mention dusting, vacuuming and mopping, which have to be done in a certain sequence and time frame. Why does the bed have to be made up all spiffy when it will get all tumbled up again in a few hours ?  Men make lousy house keepers, especially when supervised by the woman of the house....Nelda and I have more or less come to grips with most of the difficulties after 14 years, but I'll have to admit, I'm a pretty bad housewife
;D You have company....
ps   having a sawmill and logs in the back yard don't make it any easier....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DR_Buck

Quote from: pigman on December 06, 2013, 08:40:40 PM
I know where you are coming from Lynn. It is hard for us old dogs to learn new tricks. I have been doing the house work for the last six months. I would rather saw dry hickory than do house work.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

You've been away from the sawmill to long Bob.   Otherwise you know what you said is not true.   ;D ;D ;D

Hickory ?  smiley_furious3
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thecfarm

It takes two,to run a house. My wife has been laid up for a few weeks at a time. And than when summer gets here,I'm outside alot more and not helping out inside. She misses the little things that I do. She does most of the inside work and I do most of the outside work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: pineywoods on December 06, 2013, 08:45:56 PMYou didn't mention dusting, vacuuming and mopping, which have to be done in a certain sequence and time frame.
Yup, I did forget to mention that.  I am/was not complaining, just sorta running through the things that she does every day that I never think about.  I would make a very poor wife.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ST Ranch

It is interesting how in many of our relationships [lives/marrages, etc] we take on various roles and activites associated with day to day living, and forget what our partners do to keep our joint lives on track. 
My wife is just recovering from 6 weeks of rehab following a horse riding accident.
I can relate to all the posts above about how much work our partners do for us [and us in return].
I had surgery last spring and my wife took on all my extra chores and now that I have done hers in return for a few weeks I really appreciate what she has done for me over the last 30 years.
In my opinion, I believe [we all] need to remeber to do something a little special every once in a while [for both of us] to celebrate life with the special friends/people so dear to us.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

drobertson

Amen, just asked when the sheets were going on, " I have already put them on" she said,  :)
Love every minute with her,  be lost without her,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Howdy

Don't forget a clean floor gets you brownie points.
When cleaning the bathroom, always be sure to dry the seat,
otherwise someone might be surprised and then you will loose
the brownie points! 

It is good to help out once in a while, a good husband will
always try to pick up his shoes when the wife is vacuuming.
Sounds like a lot of trouble but it's better than having them
thrown at him.

Sixacresand

It seems that Pat has a pretty good husband.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Farmerjw

Like the others have said, I know what you are talking about.  My wife's ovarian cancer surgery then 3 years ago she got her foot crushed at work.  She is still using a cane to get around on.  We are thankful every day.  I am really thankful both of our girls would stop by and help, the youngest did the washing, the oldest did the shopping.  It is easy to take their work for granted until you have to add it to your list of things to do.  I am shocked at the number of men that don't or won't step up.  Prayers for your wife's health improving. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

sandhills

First of all please tell Pat we wish her a quick recovery, and so far it sounds like you make a way better wife than I ever would!  ;)

Ianab

From a current "house husband".

Slow Cooker is your friend.  Throw all the fixings in in the morning, and just forget it. Dinner time comes around and there is a big bowl of Stew / Curry / Chilli all ready to go. We have a "go to" with a Coconut curry chicken, with the veges and potatoes all mixed in.

As for the intricacies of laundry... You are on your own there   :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ken

Like many men I can comfortably live in clutter.  My wife has had to help out with her family in Vermont 3 separate times over the past year.  During the week or so when she is away the house gets a bit messy.  I have to take several hours to "tidy up" before she gets home.  This topic reminds me that I need to tell her later today how much I appreciate coming home to a clean house.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Seaman

You might make a poor wife, but are a great husband for trying so hard!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Roxie

It certainly is an eye opener when half the team goes down.   :D  A few years ago, Cowboy Bob had a major surgery that put him down for 3 weeks, and on limited duty for another three afterward. 

In addition to bringing in the wood, and keeping the fire going, there was the critters to feed and grass to mow.  I did his hauling work for three weeks, with an Amish teen helping load the calves and cows.  Even though I'd been with him hundreds of times, I never had to set up the route and handle the paper work alone.  I had to reject a calf and listen to the farmer tell me I didn't know what I was doing, just like Bob puts up with everyday. 

The upswing was that although I thought I knew how he felt at the end of the day, I got an education in the difference between riding along, and being in charge.  No one was happier than I was when he went out there and swung himself back up in that truck! 

Magic, I'll bet Pat thinks you're the best wife she's ever had.   :)
Say when

samandothers

As stated you are a great husband/person for doing all you do for Pat and others!  I hope she recovers quickly.  As for the domestic duties I am usually in charge of the outside stuff.  Inside stuff I may help with a few items but not much.  My dad stated many times over his life he is glad he was not born a woman and I must agree with him!   It was not a derogatory comment but meant how hard it was for him when he tried to do the things mom did.

Windy_Acres

MM its a learning curve.. like anything else.

Ive never been married, spent more than a decade as a bachelor, and another decade on the road full time. I was also a caretaker for a very ill girl friend for about 8 years (that was couch/bed ridden). Being a bachelor first, really rounded me out, because about the only "domestic" duty I didnt conquer was sewing. Otherwise, I can handle all the domestic chores with ease, and care taking as well. I will mention, Im a mechanic, so this is a bit off from my core skills set.

I have a very accommodating girl friend right now, that enjoys the domestic chores and is a world class chef, but for no reason yesterday, I did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, 3 loads of laundry, vacuumed the house, mostly because it was 12 degrees with a 20+mph wind, and I really didnt "feel" like working outside.

I could have done other things, and not really even sure what got me started, old habits, Im used to being self sufficient ?

LaneC

Just a little secret Magic Man. You can put all of the colors and whites in 1 load. Just put some fabric softener in the load and they all smell good. Hope she gets better.
Man makes plans and God smiles

SPIKER

Like Windy Acres, was young and mom was not much of housekeeper more of a hoarder (ok 100% hoarder) which I guess I'm starting to become too. :-[

As a kid I did all my own housework kept my own room clean and did my own cooking often even made family meals regularly.   Made first Thanksgiving feast at 14yr old from turkey, stuffing to taters and gravy! 8)   But I also spent a lot of time in there as a kid with my older sister who schooled me on finer art of cooking grub.   Military also kept ya sharp on the cleaning aspect of life from barracks to my own room.   Got married but my wife was not much of a cleaner either so did most of that but eventually got tired of doing it all & went back to bachelor life ;).   Have long time live in GF (her house but I keep my own pad just in case ;) ::)

This week was more house work for me than Home work for school or Farm Work in woods or on cars.   Spent much of Thursday doing chores outside house and inside house.   Did some work for school too but most of the day was dog bathing, laundry, dishes, cleaning kitchen, making dinner etc.   Friday was school day and cold snowy but after school on way home picked up woman, went shopping and then some down time.

Anyhow got finals for this schooling stuff again so got to get on some studying to keep up the GPA.

Keep up good work MM it gets easier.   Though I did just start a new load of laundry in this new fangled washer, glad I have an engineering degree  ::) :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Farmerjw on December 06, 2013, 11:10:28 PM
>>snip>>
I am shocked at the number of men that don't or won't step up.  Prayers for your wife's health improving.

When my wife was being treated for breast cancer, the check-in nurse at the Oncology department said something like "Its nice to see you still with her" after we had been going to treatments for a couple of years.  I asked her what she meant and she said, most men will leave their wives in such cases :-[  To hear such a thing made me very angry - My vows were for better or worse.  Granted it was terminal, but that doesn't make a real man not love his partner any less :o

MM,
Your a man of MANY talents - I think most of us strive to be a fraction of them! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!