iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser Engraver - Pics

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, November 16, 2013, 07:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

New Epilog Laser is installed and up and running. All vented outside the house and hooked up to its own air compressor as well. Installed new cabinet and counter top for it in the wife's work shop. Exhaust blower and small air compressor are in cabinet below laser engraver. Nice and neat and orderly. Countertop area to right of machine is for laptop that will run the laser.

I imagine Mrs. Beaver will be running the machine most of the time. Went to store and picked up a bunch of inexpensive glasses ( wine, champagne, ect) to practice on with rotary axis as well since we can now offer glass engraving as well.

Ordered about $4000 worth of blank product that we can laser engrave on to get us up and running. Orders should be here Christmas week. Mrs. Beaver is very excited to get going with this machine.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Farmerjw

Man that is looking good!!  Sometime between Christmas and New Year's hope to get a chance to meet you and Mrs. BB.  Will pm you later today.   Man that is a sweet set up.  Okay, pictures of something you have run so far please!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Leigh Family Farm

I am looking forward to seeing these wine glass demos. Also, I owe you a phone call. I'll reach out after the New Year. Best of luck in running the new gear!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Laser Engraver is up and running and I finally learned enough CorelDraw to be dangerous.

Mrs. Beaver and I engraved this a few minutes ago into some thin cherry we had laying around. Learning a lot about how the print driver for the laser deals with colors. If you could physically feel the sample you would find that where the image on the screen was a darker color, the laser engraved darker and deeper into the wood. For instance the shirt on the rabbit was A rather dark red and is somewhat deeper than say the lighter color area on the feet which was sort of beige in color in the image. Did the " F & K Designs" and Phone number in bold and got real good penetration into the cherry. There is no defect in the engraving in the small "a" in Kristina. There was actually a small knot in the wood in that area.

I am very satisfied with the outcome and cant wait to do more. Sorry for crummy image. Took with cell phone camera. Looks much better than what image shows.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

clww

Nice investment, er tool you purchased. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Does it just engrave, or can it also cut out stuff?

Super cool, BTW. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I think that "crummy image" is awesome.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Very nice indeed.
The shop where I worked had one and made jigs so they could do multiple parts at a time that would work great for your pens and bottle stoppers.
I know nothing about the things, but they could cut plexi glass for displays and jigs plus cardboard for making boxes.

Allan

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thanks for the praise Guys.

This image is 5 inches wide and 3 inches tall. It took just over a minute to engrave it. That image is done in 400 DPI ( Dots per Inch ) resolution. I can go as low as 75 DPI or as High as 1200 DPI. At 75 DPI it would have probably been done engraving in about 30 seconds, at 1200 DPI probably closer to 3 min.

That laser head moves super fast. Wife put a video of it cutting on our facebook page. Will post link down the road.

To those that asked, yes it will cut at well up to about 1/4 thick material. The head moves at a slower speed and you turn the power all the way up when cutting.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

SawyerBrown

A friend of mine cut out router templates in 1/8" material using a similar machine when I was doing an inlay on a desk.  He made 5 -- nominal, +.005", +.010", -.005", and -.010", starting with the inlay itself, and then adding router guide dimensions.  Man was that think accurate and made a near-perfect inlay!

Cool toy!!  Sorry ... investment!!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

mesquite buckeye

A machine like this could really simplify marquetry. Seems like eventually you could do full carvings with this technology. Will it cut steel?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Busy Beaver Lumber

SawyerBrown

You can actually cut the pocket and cut the insert using the laser. There is a video on youtube showing an Epilog laser doing a star cutout and a star insert.

For the area to be cutout, you do an inside the line cut, for the insert, you do an outside the line cut. The two pieces then fit together perfectly. There is also some examples on epilogs website of someone doing a script writing corian insert into a piece of solid oak that looks just awesome

Mesquite - you can in fact do full relief carving with the laser.  The unit i have will not cut steel. You need one with about 10 times the power of this one to do that and at about 10 times the cost as well.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

SawyerBrown

Aw, nice!   8)  I know where to go next time!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!