The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: I'm a Poor Wife  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
I'm a Poor Wife
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:11:27 pm »
Since Pat's back surgery two weeks ago, I have done what I know how to do and what I have been told to do, but I am still a wreck, failure, or whatever else you would call being completely out of my comfort zone.

The church ladies have brought several meals, and there is Chinese take out, but I have not done well in the food department.  I am satisfied with sandwiches, but that will not work but just a few times.

Then there is dish washing.  I have learned to clean up immediately at the end of the meal, wipe off the table,  and put everything up.  No dirty dishes is a good thing.

The whites go in one washing load and the colored clothes go in another.  When the drier buzzer goes off, the clothes come out immediately or you will be fluffing them with a little more run time.

The beds hafta be changed.  Everything comes off and to the washer I go.  Meanwhile I gotta wrestle with putting the clean sheets, etc. on the bed.

Oh DanG, it is lunchtime and I have not even thought about lunch.  Chinese takeout will work only once.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Sonofman

Re: I'm a Poor Wife
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:14:03 pm »
MM, that sounds like my life, as I am a bachelor.  :D :D All the good local restaurants know me by name now.
Located due west of Due West.

Offline firecord

• Full Member x2
  • I'll try anything once
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »
MM you beat my first wife by a mile!  If I didn't already have numder 2, i might have gave you a shot.  those are fine qualitys in a woman.  Just kiddin. cant wait to meet you mon or tuesday ill be in rusk one of those days.  your wife has a good man.  there are few left. as my moma says

Offline POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • G29
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:59 pm »
DanG Magic….where were you when I had the Flu?
I'm thinking......

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »
Sounds like devotion to me, Lynn.  :-*
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:40 pm »
I know where you are coming from Lynn. It is hard for us old dogs to learn new tricks. I have been doing the house work for the last six months. I would rather saw dry hickory than do house work.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
Lynn, I know exactly where you are coming from. I tend to put the dirty dishes right in the dishwasher, without scrubbing them in the sink, the wash water from from the dishwasher goes right into the pipe under the sink. When I need clean socks or underwear, get them out of the drier where they are left after drying....both completely un-acceptable. You didn't mention dusting, vacuuming and mopping, which have to be done in a certain sequence and time frame. Why does the bed have to be made up all spiffy when it will get all tumbled up again in a few hours ?  Men make lousy house keepers, especially when supervised by the woman of the house....Nelda and I have more or less come to grips with most of the difficulties after 14 years, but I'll have to admit, I'm a pretty bad housewife
 ;D You have company....
ps   having a sawmill and logs in the back yard don't make it any easier....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »
I know where you are coming from Lynn. It is hard for us old dogs to learn new tricks. I have been doing the house work for the last six months. I would rather saw dry hickory than do house work.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

You've been away from the sawmill to long Bob.   Otherwise you know what you said is not true.   ;D ;D ;D

Hickory ?  smiley_furious3
Hidden Acres Farm
I got a shotgun, a shovel backhoe and 57 acres!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:49 pm »
It takes two,to run a house. My wife has been laid up for a few weeks at a time. And than when summer gets here,I'm outside alot more and not helping out inside. She misses the little things that I do. She does most of the inside work and I do most of the outside work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »
You didn't mention dusting, vacuuming and mopping, which have to be done in a certain sequence and time frame.
Yup, I did forget to mention that.  I am/was not complaining, just sorta running through the things that she does every day that I never think about.  I would make a very poor wife.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ST Ranch

• Full Member x2
  • Outside of a horse is good for the inside of man
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:38 pm »
It is interesting how in many of our relationships [lives/marrages, etc] we take on various roles and activites associated with day to day living, and forget what our partners do to keep our joint lives on track. 
My wife is just recovering from 6 weeks of rehab following a horse riding accident.
I can relate to all the posts above about how much work our partners do for us [and us in return].
I had surgery last spring and my wife took on all my extra chores and now that I have done hers in return for a few weeks I really appreciate what she has done for me over the last 30 years.
In my opinion, I believe [we all] need to remeber to do something a little special every once in a while [for both of us] to celebrate life with the special friends/people so dear to us.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »
Amen, just asked when the sheets were going on, " I have already put them on" she said,  :)
Love every minute with her,  be lost without her,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Howdy

• Full Member x2
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:05 pm »
Don't forget a clean floor gets you brownie points.
When cleaning the bathroom, always be sure to dry the seat,
otherwise someone might be surprised and then you will loose
the brownie points! 

It is good to help out once in a while, a good husband will
always try to pick up his shoes when the wife is vacuuming.
Sounds like a lot of trouble but it's better than having them
thrown at him.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »
It seems that Pat has a pretty good husband.

Offline Farmerjw

• I'm so far behind I think I am in first place.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:10:28 pm »
Like the others have said, I know what you are talking about.  My wife's ovarian cancer surgery then 3 years ago she got her foot crushed at work.  She is still using a cane to get around on.  We are thankful every day.  I am really thankful both of our girls would stop by and help, the youngest did the washing, the oldest did the shopping.  It is easy to take their work for granted until you have to add it to your list of things to do.  I am shocked at the number of men that don't or won't step up.  Prayers for your wife's health improving. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:18 am »
First of all please tell Pat we wish her a quick recovery, and so far it sounds like you make a way better wife than I ever would!  ;)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 03:40:40 am »
From a current "house husband".

Slow Cooker is your friend.  Throw all the fixings in in the morning, and just forget it. Dinner time comes around and there is a big bowl of Stew / Curry / Chilli all ready to go. We have a "go to" with a Coconut curry chicken, with the veges and potatoes all mixed in.

As for the intricacies of laundry... You are on your own there   :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 05:32:51 am »
Like many men I can comfortably live in clutter.  My wife has had to help out with her family in Vermont 3 separate times over the past year.  During the week or so when she is away the house gets a bit messy.  I have to take several hours to "tidy up" before she gets home.  This topic reminds me that I need to tell her later today how much I appreciate coming home to a clean house.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline Seaman

• Still learning as hard as I can go.
    • Uniquewoodcuts.com
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 05:50:32 am »
You might make a poor wife, but are a great husband for trying so hard!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:46 am »
It certainly is an eye opener when half the team goes down.   :D  A few years ago, Cowboy Bob had a major surgery that put him down for 3 weeks, and on limited duty for another three afterward. 

In addition to bringing in the wood, and keeping the fire going, there was the critters to feed and grass to mow.  I did his hauling work for three weeks, with an Amish teen helping load the calves and cows.  Even though I'd been with him hundreds of times, I never had to set up the route and handle the paper work alone.  I had to reject a calf and listen to the farmer tell me I didn't know what I was doing, just like Bob puts up with everyday. 

The upswing was that although I thought I knew how he felt at the end of the day, I got an education in the difference between riding along, and being in charge.  No one was happier than I was when he went out there and swung himself back up in that truck! 

Magic, I'll bet Pat thinks you're the best wife she's ever had.   :)
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.