iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Leased Land

Started by Magicman, December 06, 2013, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In addition to my Tree Farm property I lease an additional 500 acres for recreational purposes.  This property was leased by my Dad for farming/cattle over 60 years ago, and I have maintained that lease.  It works well for both families and they are confidant with me being their caretaker.

My property is outlined in Red and 200 acres of the leased land is outlined in Yellow.  The other 300 acres are about 2 miles away and not shown on the map.

The timber on the leased land has been marked on a very "select cut" basis and sold .  It is 100% hardwood and only the mature trees will be removed.  Logging operations will begin next week.

This is our absolute best hunting time because of the rut before Christmas and major breeding the week after Christmas.  Since this property borders me on two sides and very much affects our hunting, it will be interesting to see how the deer react.  Normally, they just move aside and then check things out at night.

Of course, this will vastly increase the deer activity for the next few years because of the underbrush bloom that it will create.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Looks nice,  and I have noticed that although logging does affect the normal activities, it should not run them out, as you mentioned, it promotes good browse in the spring,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

When I had my land cut the first time I would walk around and see deer as the logger came out with the wood. Seem like the skidder would come out and the deer would be right behind it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: thecfarm on December 06, 2013, 09:28:03 AM
Seem like the skidder would come out and the deer would be right behind it.

That's the way it is UP here if your cutting near a deer yard in the winter time. Those buggers know the sound of the skidder and come to investigate and eat the buds off the tops just about as soon as they are on the ground.

ET

Magicman, with all your personal land, and now your newly leased land responsibilities, its hard to imagine you have the time to take on outside sawing jobs as you do. I thought you were retired?  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

Quote from: ET on December 06, 2013, 06:49:04 PMI thought you were retired?  Ernie
I may be retired or even tired, but I ain't quitting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

That is the secret to a long and healthy life. keep moving  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stinny

Magicman... you are quite an inspiration! I look for your posts every time I log in here. Thank you.

Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2013, 08:58:20 PM
Quote from: ET on December 06, 2013, 06:49:04 PMI thought you were retired?  Ernie
I may be retired or even tired, but I ain't quitting.   ;D

My sentiments exactly..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Autocar

I agree with Stinny your a inspiration to all of us. Keep it up  ;).
Bill

RynSmith

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 06, 2013, 10:07:22 AM
and eat the buds off the tops just about as soon as they are on the ground.

That's what I've seen - free, head-high salad bar!

beenthere

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 07, 2013, 06:43:49 AM
That is the secret to a long and healthy life. keep moving  ;D

As we sit here at the computer....   ;D

But I agree.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Got to share our secrets to a long and healthy life.  :D

I talk about cutting the bog off for fire wood. Nothing of any size,I know it takes longer to cut a cord in the bog than on my good land. But the deer enjoy it. I haul out a cedar tree for them and they really enjoy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

okmulch

I just leased 640 acres from the state of Oklahoma right next to where I live also. Plan on doing hunting, four wheeling and just whatever I desire. Oh yeah, and the best part is over 250 acres in cedar! Which I get to harvest and they are going to pay me to do most of it.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

chain

I'm guessing that's mostly oak in your select-cut, this thinning should really help the mast production. From what I've seen in Mississippi woods, there seems to be a very thick under-story of small trees, vines, and shrubs. I don't know how you'd get all the deer out anyways unless you dogged them out.

terry f

thecfarm

What is this leased land? Probably one leased is diffeant than another? Or it can be wrote up how the land owner on what can be done on it and not be done on it?

okmulch

The state of Oklahoma owns many sections of land through out the state. They are called school lands and run by a commission. It is called school lands because the money raised in the auctions goes to help the public school systems.  Every year the commission has an auction open to anyone that wants to bid on the leases. The leases run for 5 years. Some are agricultural some are grazing some are hunting, just depends on where the leases are located through out the state. There are rules that must be abided by depending on what type of land is up for lease.  The one thing in common is that most require cedars be removed being that the cedars are taking over the state.

So in my case it is a win, win. I get to utilize cedars and some land to play on, and the state gets money for schools and rid of the cedars at a next to nothing cost to them.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Magicman

Quote from: chain on December 08, 2013, 02:33:38 PMFrom what I've seen in Mississippi woods, there seems to be a very thick under-story of small trees, vines, and shrubs. I don't know how you'd get all the deer out anyways unless you dogged them out. 
This is very open woods.  The mature trees, etc.  will be taken out,  many of which are 36"++ trees.  Of course if a 36" tree is growing well it may be left.  As I said, this is a select cut, not one that depends upon tree size.  The last cut was in 1995.

Removing some of the canopy will allow briers an other ground cover to flourish for a few years.  It will be a deer haven.

chain

Interesting of the large timber harvest. Was the bid lump-sum or per thousand bf over the scale, what?

Magicman

The forester Doyle scaled and marked each tree for removal and the buyers were allowed to make their inspection before submitting their bids.

Magicman

The logger has moved in and started the logging operation.

I was on the JD today and was within 100 yards of an operating dozer and there was a feller with a chainsaw and a skidder to my right also within 100 yards.  I nice buck passed between us, not really spooked, but just moving along.  I saw fresh scrapes all along the woods road that I was on.  It will be interesting to see how the logging affects the deer, and hopefully I will get to hunt.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thecfarm on December 06, 2013, 09:28:03 AM
When I had my land cut the first time I would walk around and see deer as the logger came out with the wood. Seem like the skidder would come out and the deer would be right behind it.

That's what we see in the woods in Missouri. We cut a logging route through the woods or just drag out some logs. Deer use the route the first night. Easy walking, no brambles, maybe some fresh acorns. Yum!
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Hopefully I will be able to go back tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!