iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is Anyone having a problem with our sponsor?

Started by Ward Barnes, December 05, 2013, 08:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

I have tried working with Bailey's on a shipment problem without resolution.  Has anyone else been having problems lately?  I have always had great service until now.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Al_Smith

No actually contrary to that .I 've had great service and I don't buy much in a year .

Once for example I had ordered an odd driver length loop of square chisel chain for a cut down race bar for an 084 Stihl,they sent a standard length .A common mistake .I called them up,no problem .Got the correct loop in two days,no charge .

beenthere

And Ward, just a caution... we don't air out our laundry with a particular business whether they are a sponsor or not. ;) 
Hope you get it straightened out, whatever it is. We often would like to see everyone perfect and to our liking. Sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Hang in there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shootingarts

I had a question a few days ago, e-mailed Bailey's and got a prompt response. Put in an order yesterday and it seems to have shipped smoothly with no issues.

There isn't a company that doesn't have the occasional hick-up. My favorite supplier in another niche has a terrible reputation, he doesn't tolerate fools gladly or any other way.(not implying anything about anyone here!) When an order came to me short weighted and I contacted him, he made up the difference in what was missing and then doubled the order at no charge! He had said he was doing that in the e-mail he sent but I assumed a typo. Until the package arrived I had assumed he was just sending me the missing goods. Nope, sent the rest of my order then the same amount of a pricey item I had ordered, free! Some suppliers with sterling reputations I haven't had such good luck with.

Hu

nmurph

Baileys has an excellent reputation for taking care of the customer...once you get them on the ph. They are always very willing to make you happy if you let them know. OTH, their order system and shipping charges have been the subject of quite a few threads. But to their credit, I believe they have recently endeavored to improve these problems. I received a call out of the blue a couple of months ago regarding why I wasn't ordering as much from them as previously. I flat out told the guy that placing an order and not knowing an item wasn't available until after you have paid for it is simply unacceptable in todays POS environment. And also, the shipping charges were often way out of line for the value of the item. I do believe they have made some changes to the way they do business. I certainly hope so, as they were hemorrhaging customers to several of the upstart suppliers who were much more flexible in the service they provide.

Ljohnsaw

Funny to see this thread now.  I ordered a big yellow Logrite cant hook earlier this year.  After about a week, I get a small package stating my order was back ordered and did not know when it would be available to ship.  To make it "right", they sent me a 10' or so sample of some wicked weed wacker line.  Nice, but I don't have a weed wacker! :D  Then my cant hook showed up about a week later.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ward Barnes

Thanks for the replies.  In the past I have found Bailey's to be very responsive and a good company to do business with and will continue to order products from them.  It appears that this is just a glitch in their system.  Was just curious to know if anyone had problems lately.  Thanks again.

Ward.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

plt

Quote from: beenthere on December 05, 2013, 09:51:32 PM
And Ward, just a caution... we don't air out our laundry with a particular business whether they are a sponsor or not. ;) 
Hope you get it straightened out, whatever it is. We often would like to see everyone perfect and to our liking. Sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Hang in there.

Are you saying the rest of us can't even be warned of possibilities? I'm not saying dig into anybody, but just a possibility something could be amiss? That's pretty heavy censor don't you think?
Duty, the the sublimest word in our language.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E Lee.

Jeff

I have zero problems with someone making a post asking for help or information on the forum. What I do have a problem with, is if someone gets on to vent because they feel they were some how wronged or because they are just pithed off.  It doesn't matter if it is a sponsoring company or not.  If your mission is to seek help or advise on which way to go on something, that's what we are all here for. If its simply to lash out and poke someone in the eye for spite, then it ain't going to cut it.  That happens a lot. People thinking Hey! I'll get even by bad mouthing. Not here.  If I thought that was what was going on here, the topic would be either pulled or the original poster set straight on how we roll here.  I think its perfectly legitimate to ask if others have had any type of technical issues on a website order and that is what appears to be happening here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shootingarts

I think this thread has pretty much served is purpose, Bailey's is still a solid supplier and interested in solving anything that is making customers unhappy.

Shipping, particularly shipping and handling, charges are something we buyers are used to having subsidized and if we pay a fair price we tend to holler foul! We always pay for these things in the prices we pay for items when we get "free" or cut rate shipping, but we don't like seeing the charges sitting off by themselves. I'm sure that people that ship many orders a day are much faster but I typically spend thirty minutes to an hour to ship something, sometimes longer. The best way to speed up packaging is to buy packaging material so you have standard sizes to work with and don't waste time chasing padding and such or wadding up newspaper which may stop something from rattling long enough to get it to the shipper's counter but often collapses before the end of the trip giving basically zero protection. Of course going with packaging that you have to purchase costs money!

Business 101, your net is what decides if your business survives or not. Gross profit means nothing other than how it affects net.

Marketing 101, give the customers what they want to see. Charging a little more on items to help cover handling and shipping makes for happy customers. Breaking out full packaging and shipping costs often makes for unhappy customers.

Speaking of Bailey's in particular, they are pretty big. I don't know if they negotiate UPS prices or not. The big players do. A friend of mine runs a division of a company that does millions a year with UPS. He made UPS wine and dine him for a week each year when the contract came up for negotiation and battled for every penny which adds up over the course of a year. He passed the negotiations on to someone else now with strict instructions not to reach a deal with UPS without at least most of a week of wining and dining! Same thing with the phone company, they negotiate rates. All of these things means that the little players are at a disadvantage in pricing, they pay more for things than the big boys do.

There is a limit to what I will pay for a friendly voice and personal service but I usually don't mind paying a little extra to support the small players if they do offer quality and service. All we have to do is look at Wal-Mart's model to know we can be penny wise and pound foolish shopping for the very cheapest price. They come into a market, cut prices to squeeze out the competition, then up prices substantially. Should be illegal but they get away with it.

My shipping did seem a little high from Bailey's. Not unfair or ridiculous but I'm used to a little cheaper. On the plus side, Priority Mail cost me sixty-eight cents more than UPS ground. My opinion, UPS does make unreasonable demands on their workers, and some workers take out their unhappiness on packages and customers. UPS has never been quite the same since the strike many years ago. They are my last choice of shippers just because in my experience they are the most likely to damage or lose a package.

Total cost to our door is what should matter to us. Every supplier has to make a profit or disappear. How they market things may influence where we buy but one way or another we are going to pay a certain minimum price on every purchase including shipping to our door. If we don't the supplier will disappear.

Speaking of which, got to go check my mailbox. My goody box from Bailey's should be here today or tomorrow!

Hu

webgal

Quote from: Ward Barnes on December 05, 2013, 08:58:33 PM
I have tried working with Bailey's on a shipment problem without resolution.  Has anyone else been having problems lately?  I have always had great service until now.

Now a word from the Sponsor....

A shipment problem can be a myriad of things, from lost shipment, to getting the wrong item, to simply a delay or backorder.

I'd be glad to get cut through any confusion :snowball:. Give me a PM with your order number and details.

8)Cheerily,
Caprice Becker
Bailey's Inc.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

shootingarts

Quote from: webgal on December 06, 2013, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: Ward Barnes on December 05, 2013, 08:58:33 PM

Now a word from the Sponsor....

A shipment problem can be a myriad of things, from lost shipment, to getting the wrong item, to simply a delay or backorder.

I'd be glad to get cut through any confusion :snowball:. Give me a PM with your order number and details.

8)Cheerily,
Caprice Becker
Bailey's Inc.

This is what we like to see! Not my problem, but glad to see a company looking after a customer.

Hu

Rob5073

I've ordered two saws and several other products from them.  Never had an issue. 

turnkey

I've been a customer for several years, at least one order/yr.  Only once was there a problem, ordered two chains, one of them had a several link section with overwide drivers (would jam on the bar).  One call and they shipped a second chain no charge and would not even accept my offer to mail the bad one back for them to examine.

Harry K

Al_Smith

What I do miss is Gregg Grande not posting on the forums as much .I'm telling you that guy could find parts that nobody could locate .Whatever Baileys are paying him he's worth every penny and then some .

gologit

Al, Gregg isn't with Bailey's any more.  Check out Left Coast Supplies, a sponsor here.

And you're right...he always went the extra mile for anybody who needed help/
Semi-retired...life is good.

Ward Barnes

Quote from: gologit on December 07, 2013, 12:02:21 AM
Al, Gregg isn't with Bailey's any more.  Check out Left Coast Supplies, a sponsor here.

We can add Caprice to the list of folks who go the extra mile.  Bailey's have good people.  God Bless, Ward and Mary.

mikey517

Quote from: Ward Barnes on December 07, 2013, 02:36:55 AM
Quote from: gologit on December 07, 2013, 12:02:21 AM

We can add Caprice to the list of folks who go the extra mile.  Bailey's have good people.  God Bless, Ward and Mary.

+1 on Caprice! Very nice and tried to help.

shootingarts

With my package coming Priority Mail I thought they had given themselves a little room when intended delivery was the first part of next week. That part was good, as I kinda expected my package arrived today, early.

Unfortunately they sent me some wrong files. I guess I get to talk to the nice ladies Monday, maybe Tuesday, everybody hates Mondays!

Hu

barbender

I usually have one order per year, 24" skiptooth chains I can't get locally and other miscellaneous saw stuff. All my experiences with Bailey's have been positive, the shipping is expensive for sure but I don't know if they are worse than anyone else.
Too many irons in the fire

shootingarts

Quote from: barbender on December 07, 2013, 11:20:23 PM
I usually have one order per year, 24" skiptooth chains I can't get locally and other miscellaneous saw stuff. All my experiences with Bailey's have been positive, the shipping is expensive for sure but I don't know if they are worse than anyone else.

I suspect it is a trade-off. They do seem to charge handling fees, my invoice shows P&H. As I talked about earlier in the thread, everybody charges you for the labor and packaging materials, it is just often hidden in the price of the items. Having a handful of fairly similar packages shipped this week, shipping ran $8.00, $12.00, and $12.50. I paid $14.67 to have the package shipped from Baileys. Looks like I paid roughly $2.00 or $2.50 for handling.

Considering salary, and the real costs of an employee I would guess a person has to get out eight or ten packages an hour to break even and that isn't including materials. Of course handling can include gathering up the items too. Far from outrageous, we are just used to having the handling hidden instead of the more candid way of laying it out in the open. We pay either way, so the total to my door is all that matters to me. I am expecting a little free shipping Monday or Tuesday, not my mistake.

Hu

webgal

The price of shipping gets complicated. I was looking into things and having some discussions with the gal that pays those bills for us. I wish is was straight forward, but rest assured Bailey's is looking into better ways in this fluctuating economy to satisfy everyone. Or at least most.

Gregg and I were in the same work area at Bailey's. I enjoyed his humor, wit and wisdom. He passed along a wealth of not only information, but how to mine it from all the resources that are available to me. I've been the FAQ gal for sometime at Bailey's and have to field a myriad of questions and concerns.

Though I'm not a wrench turner like Gregg, I hope that I've got plenty of uncommon sense and tenacity to help out where I can.  : pc_smiley. I do enjoy woodworking and live on 20 acres (half wooded) with my Hubby and Mom. Thanks for the welcome!
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

shootingarts

Quote from: webgal on December 09, 2013, 01:12:30 PMThough I'm not a wrench turner like Gregg, I hope that I've got plenty of uncommon sense and tenacity to help out where I can.  : pc_smiley. I do enjoy woodworking and live on 20 acres (half wooded) with my Hubby and Mom. Thanks for the welcome!

Caprice,

My wife handled the front desk at my body shop and often was drafted to chase parts. She was later often on the front desk at my auto salvage between getting the children off to school and picking them up in the afternoons. Woe betide the employee or customer that tried to give her a song and dance! Which is just to say I have every confidence you can handle your position and do it well.

I just got a package in my mailbox, an item shipped after I won an auction on e-bay. They knew the model number on the one they posted the picture of, this one has the only identifying label removed. It is an inferior model to both the one advertised in the auction and a new in the package other model I have already purchased. Oh yeah, packing was newspaper and a pasteboard Cherio's cereal box! Not a happy camper and it was all I could do to give them twenty-four hours before I post a negative feedback that will peel paint!

Figured I might as well call Bailey's about my smooth cut files that came in along with the dozen standard files that were more standard files. A very short wait for a Monday and I was speaking to a gentleman. I think he said his name but I have forgotten it. Still steaming from the dispute I opened on e-bay, my first in the I think thirteen years I have been there. Anyway, I explained the problem, Bailey's is shipping me the right files. Prompt, courteous, and efficient! If you know who the man is or inquire who talked to a customer ranting about a cereal box in the mail, give him an attaboy for me, he did good!

Hu

webgal

:D We get piles of customers ranting about getting an order from Ebay that was shipped in a Cheerios Box!

If I knew the order number I could look it up and give the fella a pat on the back for good service to you.

About your wife: One of my early duties with Bailey's was working in receiving. We'd get a big box of chain parts and a ticket to match items with. It was a great way to learn. I had helped my Dad work on cars and do ranch maintenance, so I think I enjoyed that part of the learning curve. Girls do like shiny things...  ;D. Bill did have me do counter duty for another learning curve and in the day with good eyesight I could tell the pitches with just looking at the cutter size. I probably still could, but need glasses nowadays.

I did have an argument with a customer about the correct chain for his saw.  I got him the chain and he said that wasn't right. I told him that when he got it home and put it on it would fit and if I sold him what he asked for he'd be back to exchange it. I can't recall if I got him what he insisted, or he took what I recommended, but I did get a phone call saying I was right.

Bill told me to always get the customer the right stuff as it is their livelihood. I send a guy out with the wrong chain, as Bill warned, that fella will remember my name all during his hike back out of the hole in the woods. Then I would have the pleasure of speaking with him face to face at the counter. That put the fear in me!

Thanks for your confidence all. I will do my best to see that your livelihoods and pastimes aren't held up.

thecfarm

webgirl,you sound like the woman at the NH dealer. She knew her stuff. She no longer works there.  :( 
Welcome to the forum. Seem like most of us can only remember the wrong part not the many times we got the right parts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!