iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice Storm!

Started by CCC4, December 05, 2013, 01:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Well, we're in for a bad one it looks like! I cut this morning through mostly rain then it went to bouncing off my helmet. Cut 2 loads and it started coming down and nasty! Got a Southern front that is going to screw us royally. Power companies are already calling homes and saying 6 days w/o power! Dangit! All I have is electric heat...but I have generator so maybe we won't freeze. Weather guessers are saying now that we could get up to an inch of ice and 10 inches of snow by Monday night. Ice is already forming on the trees.

Hope evyone stays safe and warm while alot of States deal with this Winter blast. Have a good day!

terry f

Looks to be almost country wide, cold here.

CX3

Snowing like crazy here in south missouri. Schools closing like crazy and I'm getting my hunting stuff together lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Yeh man, I'm near the Missouri line dead center in Arkansas, the weather map shows the State line being the seperation point between ice and snow. Ours have changed to sleet...come on sleet! Sleet won't tear limbs out and maybe our power will stay on...fingers crossed!

CX3, where are you located in S. Missouri? About as far North as we log is Gainsville. I used to do a bunch of riding up at Chadwick, do you know of Chadwick? Stay safe man!

shortlogger

Ice is building on the trees here in Scott county , I'm staring out the window dreading getting on that cold wet icy tractor to go put out hay .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

shortlogger

The lights are starting to flicker may not have power long !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

CCC4

Yeh, I heard Fayetteville was loosing power at noon today. Our roads were icing when I got out of the woods today. Dang I hope this doesn't get like '09! I have my fingers crossed for ya shortlogger! Hope yer power stays on!

duckslayingpro

Trees were starting to ice over pretty good here at around 130. Just came home and roads were getting slick here in Ripley co. Hope everyone's power stays on and this craps blows out of here.

CX3

Then you know where sparta is lol
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Ripley, Missouri or Indiana?

CCC4

Quote from: CX3 on December 05, 2013, 05:00:58 PM
Then you know where sparta is lol

Yup! Is that where you are? Man they have a really nice TT track up there! I think they were talking about opening it up for 2014 and have races again.

treeslayer2003

I feel for you guys. last I heard we spossed get mostly rain. you guys stay safe. stay home.

CCC4

Hey CX3, do you know "Hedgerow" from the other sites? He has that GTG "Hedgefest"?? I think I'm gonna hit that this coming Spring...April I think it will be.

CCC4

Hey there slayer Mike! You better believe I'm gonna sit at home! LOL! I haven't had a day off in like 3 weeks! I can't remember though! LOL!

thecfarm

The poor trees. We went through one years ago. I will take 2 feet of snow any day. Which we don't get 2 feet of snow at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

duckslayingpro

Ripley county Missouri around Doniphan, MO

CCC4

Quote from: thecfarm on December 05, 2013, 05:45:07 PM
The poor trees. We went through one years ago. I will take 2 feet of snow any day. Which we don't get 2 feet of snow at one time.

The '09 ice storm was devistating to the timber here. NFS claimed a loss of 32% of their timber. The best I remember we got 1/2 to 3/4 of ice on the trees! I cut stands of pine after that storm, I would say 65% of the pine lost their tops down to the first set of ring knots and 20% of the broken timber had broke 20 ft. up...snapped off clean. This timber was very nice, mostly 3 ft on stump. I lost ALOT of pine futers on my own property. That Spring I went hog hunting in my secret little knook of the NF, and what used to take a 1 1/2 hr hike ended up taking 2 1/2 hours. The steep slopes were mostly fine but the lower hollows had fell in on top of themselves. After that ice storm the wild hog population exploded and will be here for a long time to come!

CCC4

Quote from: duckslayingpro on December 05, 2013, 07:21:53 PM
Ripley county Missouri around Doniphan, MO

Heck man, your not far from me at all! I'm between Mtn. Home and Calico Rock.

ScottAR

Still rain here but small amounts of ice are building on the cars in the drive... The 09 storm hit us really hard as well.  Demolished the power grid and ruined a lot of timber too.  At least the power grid is new?  Fingers crossed. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

CCC4

Other than being absolutely bored out of my mind....the power is still on ! YEAH! Snow came in sometime around 3 am and put nearly 6" of snow and it is coming down in masses! We are now expected to get 12"  by tonight. Snw and ice isn't going anywhere for a while..gonna be -2 tonight!

That's just ridiculous...70* to -2 in 48 hours! So this years extreme temps for Arkansas are 105* to -2! That's impressive really.

How's everyone holding up today?

RPowers

We avoided much ice here in central Madison Co. Got maybe 1/8" of ice then the changeover to sleet, now just snow. We live off grid with wood heat and propane for cooking, so I wouldn't know if the power went down anyways. Speaking of the 09 ice storm, I've seen some gorgeous mature timber just ruined by that mess. I lost some nice trees on my place as well, the tops broke down like a bunch of fingers 30-40' up.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

CCC4

I just opened the front door and see that we have 10 inches + of snow!

I sort of wish I lived off the grid and wasn't dependent on electricity as much. I need an outdoor wood burning stove really bad...but they are so so *DanG expensive!

duckslayingpro

No were not very far apart then. We made it through the ice here. Maybe 3/8 to 1/2 in but have around 8 inches of snow on the ground. Power has stayed on here.

ScottAR

The lights are still on here.  We got some snow but mostly sleet.  The roads are passable now, but darkness will make them worse quickly.  Coulda been a lot worse for sure. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

clww

We're supposed to see rain here at The Beach, but ice north-west of Richmond.
We had a record high of 80 degrees here today. It's still 76 outside now.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

clww send that nice stuff my way    got some ice sleet now its snowing like crazy hope all the guys in the south are ok  ;D

SPIKER

Probably around 25~28F out there now in Ohio, north center part, and at 9pm we had 1-3/4" on the pick-nick table.   I raked leaves in tea shirt Thursday mid day. 8)   I remember back in ~83 or so on x-mas break from school we played golf in shorts and tea shirts 78degrees in Ohio! :o 8) ;D   Not all that often anything like that happens tho...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

CX3

Yes I live in sparta. The racetrack is closed but have heard of it reopening.

I almost went to the gtg over in carthage last yr but all it did was rain and my pockets were empty lol.  Keep me posted on it I'd love to go. You could swing by and jump in with me.

duckpro I just went to doniphan for my pth training. I stayed at the lovely days inn lol.   
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Yeh we heard it was going to re-open. Man, I can't think of a couple guys names that are right in your area. I think the guys name is Buddy maybe..he is a motor head, kinda short guy and a little stocky, his Son has been racing TT and Flattrack for years. He said his back yard was Chadwick...you would almost have to know him.

Anyway, about the GTG, yeh I'd swing up through there I reckon. I want to go to that one, I know Hedge through another forum. Not to mention I will have a couple saws worth bringing along with me.  :)

shortlogger

Lost power Thursday about 6 pm still out now not sure when it will be back . Lots of fence down lots of tops out of trees all my young pines behind my house are down or busted , all my food from the freezer is outside on a table maybe the power will come back before it warms up and my elk and bear and deer meat ruin .
    But that being said it's still not as bad as the last big ice storm . I will have plenty of free timber to saw now already been offered some really nice big clear pines .

CCC4

Hate to hear you lost your power man! Hope they get it turned back on here pretty soon. I am going to try and cut Tuesday...crazy huh?! All big tall whippy pine...I bet most of it tops itself for me. I'm sure it's frozen. If the tops would just lose a little weight in ice ice would feel alot better about it.

Hang in there man, they will get that power straightened out soon I bet. Yeh, ya don't want to lose that bear meat! Good eating right there! Better than beef in some ways.

shortlogger

Hoping the power will be back on in the next day or two.
Watch out for those widow makers Tuesday !!!!!

shortlogger

Rpowers
I gotta hear more about the off the grid living , it's something I've thought a lot about myself for sometime now .

RPowers

shortlogger,

The off-grid thing(whatever you define that as) can be as simple or complex as a person wants. We have wood heat from a free-standing stove, no blowers or anything. We cook and heat our water with propane from a tank that we have filled 2x a  year, and our water is all gravity-fed pressure from rainwater cisterns on the top of our place. There are no pumps or anything, just a rain-catching barn  and 1/4 mile of water pipe dropping 150' in elevation down to our house. It gives me a static water pressure of 71 psi at the house. We had a pond dug a little uphill from our garden with a pipe through the dam, so we have gravity fed water for the garden/orchard, even though the pressure isn't much, but it works.

I just put in a few solar panels and 4 used 6v L16-class batteries for a little electric, the whole shebang there cost me under a grand. I'd like to get a higher pond for a better garden watering system, I think I could almost automate it with more pressure on the line. I'd also like to look into building a solar/wood hot water heating system to get us away from propane.

The challenge is having your family adapt and live on more  limited resources, 100 percent of the time. It can take more work, and definitely takes more thought. I like it though. I'm not opposed to using grid resources, I'm just opposed to being dead when they fail, which they will, given enough time.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

shortlogger

I already live on a farm and cook with propane and am making plans for a add-on to the house that will include a wood heater/cook stove with oven and hopefully in the spring I will be getting a pond dug above my garden for gravity feed irrigation . So it sounds like I'm already working in your direction . I don't plan to shut the power off anytime real soon but am hoping to be set up to the point to where if need be I can live without it with very little discomfort . I wouldn't mind doing totally away with it but my wife says NO WAY !!! She needs her tv. And I kind of need it for my power tools for wood work .
But I want to be ready in case things get bad just trying to work out the details in my head on the little stuff  . Sounds like you have it pretty we'll worked out .

CCC4

Round #2 on deck.... you fellas stay safe out there...the 21st is supposed to make this last ice storm look like a baby! Let us just hope our power stays on for everyone! Cheers!

beenthere

CCC4
Where are you picking up this forecast?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Local news stations around here are giving us the same forecast. Probably the same stations CCC4 watches.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CCC4

Yep, "KY3 is the place to be"!

Your just down the road about an hour from me LeeB, that's pretty close for the internet! LOL! How much snow did you folks get up in the hills? Syllamore NF area got 13 1/2, I got 10 and my high ground set I am cutting had 11" Tuesday when I got there. All the snow was setting on 3" of sleet/ice. I heard today that a possible 150 buildings in Mtn. Home collapsed...but nothing official....well Henderson boat dock was flattened like a pancake, I saw the pictures of it.

LeeB

I never actually measured it, but we got 8-10 inches. I'll be glad when it's all gone. The lean to on the side of my shop collapsed and a small open shed also. Having a heck of a time getting up the driveway. I use 4wd most of the time even when it's dry. The snow itself wasn't too bad until it packed down after a couple of trips up and down. Like greased glass after that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ScottAR

I was in Mountain View on Friday for work.  You guys got a lot more storm than we did.  There was still a lot of snow/ice cover on the ground.  Hoping the next one is an easy one. 
Scott
[Magicman]

CCC4

Just  little piece up from Mtn. View they got 13 1/2 inches plus 3 inches of sleet and ice. A chicken house near me collapsed at 11:30 yesterday...that rain we got didn't melt the snow, it soaked up like a sponge. The snow it leaving us now thankfully, but man it seems to be hanging around a bit.

coxy

if you miss it I would be more then willing to send you some :D :D :D :D

timberlinetree

Yesturday my wife and  me were down in Connecticut on interstate 91 and saw a lot of  tree/utility trucks heading north. I used to do that song & dance so I knew a storm was somewhere. I checked the radar this morning lots of freezing rain to the north. Hope everyone is doing alright upthere. Stay safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

must have a 1\2" or more of ice. freezing rain at 26degrees. been out sandings roads since 3am. it takes about 30min and its froze over the sand salt

RayMO

Got about a half inch of ice/freezing rain on the trees here in SW Mo yesterday/last night . Roads are clear but lots of trees loosing limbs. Down to 8 tonight and 2 degrees tomorrow night so the ice will be on for a spell. Very hard on the birds and other wildlife .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

thecfarm

snowstorm,I'll stay home today,so I won't be in your way.  :D
We have about an inch of sleet. A light mist out as I post. Who knows what will happen here by night fall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ga jones

We had that last week. 19 degrees and raining. Now it's 64! Won't be warm enough to melt the 10 inches of snow in the woods but the fields are melted.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

timberlinetree

Ice never made it here actually kinda of a switch a roo. Drove to top of mountain for church yesterday and surprise no snow! Most times it's raining at the bottom of the mountain and a blizzard at the top.good luck to everyone!

snowstorm

finally its over and the power just came on. it wasnt 98 all over again but it was bad enought. 1.5" of ice. now its cold with snow coming

thecfarm

I really have no way of knowing,but think my area got less than an inch of ice. We drove about 10 minutes from here and wondered what happened to the ice.  :o  There was that much of a diffeance from one area to another. One of my friends lives about 20 minutes from me and he said the same thing. I have family in Augusta area and thay got hit hard.

snowstorm

we went thru camden today. 15 miles towards the coast very little ice there. but they got 16"on snow out of the last storm. got 8" here

CCC4

The radio said over 500,000 people w/o electric as of Tuesday evening due to the ice storm that hit the NE. Man that has got to be tough! I hope for them that power gets restored soon! All we got was rain and a dusting of snow Tuesday.

timberlinetree

Here's a funny one was cutting for the power company when we came across an uprooted red maple covered with ice. The tree was down a steep bank and fell across the road and onto wires. Took a quick assement of the situation and decided to undercut it. As I started to undercut it the tree shook alittle bit the ice load fell off pinching my saw and then stood up. There was the saw about 30' up the tree running. Everyone was laughing except me. Happens so fast it startled me plus I had to go down the bank and fell the tree slowly.me and the saw lived. :D

clww

That sounded scary to me, too. :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

snowstorm

Quote from: timberlinetree on December 28, 2013, 07:12:51 AM
Here's a funny one was cutting for the power company when we came across an uprooted red maple covered with ice. The tree was down a steep bank and fell across the road and onto wires. Took a quick assement of the situation and decided to undercut it. As I started to undercut it the tree shook alittle bit the ice load fell off pinching my saw and then stood up. There was the saw about 30' up the tree running. Everyone was laughing except me. Happens so fast it startled me plus I had to go down the bank and fell the tree slowly.me and the saw lived. :D
you cut just the top that was in the road? they have been doing that here. then we got more ice and the rest of the tree bends down. i gave one of the town officals a fine tuning over doing that. i told him it was only a matter of time before he gets hit by the tree coming upright at a high rate of speed. there has got to be a lot of engery stored in that 8" tree

Maine372

ive been on 17hr shifts all week and we are already scheduled for an early start to Monday, once the snow piles up on the already iced over trees.

Cfarm, I turned around at the end of your road Christmas day. made a mess by the boat launch on norcross pond.

worst part is I haven't been home in daylight. ive seen all the destruction, but have no idea what the ice did to my own trees!

thecfarm

I was sleding down my road from about 11 to 1 on Christmas day. Sorry I missed ya.Was a lot of grey birch tree bowed over from my road to norcross. Good thing no power on that stretch of the road. Very little damage,that I could see, just driving down my woods road on my tractor. Maybe once I get out there I might see more.

timberlinetree

We had a loader behind us clearing the trees we cut. Is the storm as bad as 98 ice storm? Worked that one in northern vt and Maine. Stay safe.

walterkilo

These photos are from Stanstead, Québec; a mile or so from the Vermont border...

Where you see the sky, there was a groomed red pine plantation...

Almost total destruction. A big pile toothpicks...

Dominik
Dominik aka Walterkilo
Boucherville/Stanstead, Quebec.

sawguy21

timberlinetree, I bet that got your attention in a hurry. :o Good way to get killed. We have been watching the news, people in Toronto are dumping on the mayor because of the wait for power. As if he didn't have enough problems. :D Now they are worried about a thaw with falling ice taking out more lines. I was off work Friday, I expect we are sold out of generators at our Toronto warehouse for the second time in a week.  You guys stay safe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maine372

timberlinetree, its not as bad as 98. a lot more tree work has been done prior to the storm. the damage is less wide spread as well. whats going to kill us is the 6-10" inches of heavy wet snow tonight. the coast could get another 0.25" of ice as well.

timberlinetree

Gotta love winter :-\ugh. Hope things smooth out for all of  you up north. Stay safe!

snowstorm

we got sleet and freezing rain changing to snow. about 8". it was a quick storm they were predicting 1to2" per hr and we got that. more trees down and the town went dark again. 3 of the roads i plow had trees across then. i called the town selectman at 2 am    he didnt answer. did have a little mishap with a downed power line. covered with snow didnt see it at first. then there it was one end broke off the other still on the pole. it got cot on the trip edge on the plow. a little later i stopped to talk with a guy from the power co. he says you have a wire cot on your truck     looks like ours   where did you find it

Maine372

14" of fluff here, no power loss for miles around. still working on hazards created by the ice. kinda hard with the roads still sloppy.

CCC4

Dang, hope everyones power gets turned on soon! I just caught the end of the weather and it sounded like it was going to get really bad up North! Hope everything works out for all you guys that are dealing with this ice and frigid temps! Stay safe!

Thank You Sponsors!