iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage Instument values?

Started by Jeff, December 05, 2013, 01:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Anybody out there know anything about valuing or finding out the value of a vintage instrument?
From some previous research I believe the Gibson Mandolin dates around 1911. I'm considering the possibility of selling it in order to help fund a cabin foundation this next year. Although it has some sentimental value to me, it has been in a closet for the last 20 years and probably would stay that way until I died, as I an not a mandolin player. Then it would probably just get sold off as no one else would have any greater attachment to it than I. Its to fine iof an instrument to just be hidden away for ever.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Man....that is so pretty Jeff.
I have no idea how to assist but hopefully WDH might can point you in a direction to where you can get some info. He hangs around a bunch of pickers.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Wenrich

I think you'll find that one was mfg in 1909 with an estimated shipping date of 1910.  It looks to be a model A. 

You can get the bluebook value of it here:

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Mandolin_Values/Manufacturers/Gibson/Categories/Symmetrical_Models_(A_Series)?id=Gibson_Symmetrical_Models_A_Series

Looks to cost $2.95 to find out. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Radar67

Here is a start for you, it is an A model from 1909 and from the looks of it, it is in almost mint condition. The link is to one with serial number 9501.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/9501
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Radar67

The guy who runs this site may be able to help you. There are a few fairly valuable instruments listed here.

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/instruments.html#39gibsona1_eg2460
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Larry

Can you find something close that actually sold in eBay completed auctions?  It seems they are usually the high priced venue for many old items.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DonT

ok I have no idea the  worth but was a Gibson mandolin not one of the items on a pawn star episode lately.

SPIKER

I have no idea how to value it either other than do some searches for similar items for sale and see what they are asking.   It sure looks to be a fine instrument tho! 8)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Peter Drouin

Just bring it to an instrument shop . I'm sure they will tell you how much. They might want to buy it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

Instrument shops will give you the price they're willing to pay for it, which will be about 1/2 its value...unless you pay them an appraisal fee, in which case they will give you the fair market/ replacement value for the mandolin. Don't know about the mandolin, but I have seen several Gibson guitars of that era sell for 5 figures. The condition is crucial and it looks like yours is nearly pristine. good luck.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

So, I got the mandolin out today and tuned it up. I really, really could use some cash right now, but after holding it in my hands, and pretending to try and pick it a little, I could see it in the hands of my dad, and I realized I just can't sell it. Maybe I'll teach myself to play it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you sold it...you'd be kicking yourself from now on.......just saying Boss.

OneWithWood

Learn to play if Jeff, and you will have wealth beyond measure.
Maybe no dinero, but definitely wealth of the more precious kind.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Ive been working on it. I pick it up a couple times every day since I got it out. I'm getting to where I can pic a tune or two on it.  :)

Jeff

So here I am, a month into trying to teach myself the mandolin. Flubs and all, as I can't play much yet without flubs. I have moments though... :D

http://youtu.be/--dyP__lbF4

OneWithWood

Feels good, don't it?

The mandolin definitely has a nice tone!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

Grandpa's mandolin is in good hands. smiley_thumbsup  Stacy will be proud.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Well, now we know what the entertainment's gonna be at next years piggy roast!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff,,,,you are ready to go on stage with WDH and the boy's at the Georgia Sycamore Project. 8)
I haven't seen a finger move that fast since I pulled out in front of that lady this morning.  :D

Magicman

Maybe Simon & Garfunkel need to do a re-make.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bert

Im 99% sure I saw the exact same thing on pawn stars not too long ago. Sorry I have no idea what the offer was on it but someone took one to sell. I remember them being interested in it.
Saw you tomorrow!

hardtailjohn

You're doing fine Jeff!! I'm glad to see you keep it and learn to play!  I haven't taken mine out of the case for a long time.... now you've got me thinking.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!