iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms362c-m Engine Power

Started by Higgins, December 05, 2013, 10:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Higgins

There seems to be a slight discrepancy pertaining to the published engine power for the new ms362c-m. Albeit an extremely slight difference, Stihl's website indicates 4.6 hp (3.4kW) http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362cm whereas the instruction manual that came with the saw states 4.7 bhp (3.5kW).

Is this a common occurrence for Stihl?  I just find it interesting they would understate the published power on a new product. Typically, even minor improvements are heralded with pomp and circumstance!

AdkStihl

And the fact of the matter is, that saw ACTUALLY probably only puts out about 4.1bhp
J.Miller Photography

ladylake

No matter what the hp rating most good 60cc saws will cut real close to each other.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

The MS362c-m is rated ar 3.5 kW on this side of the pond.
Information collector.

Higgins

Quote from: SawTroll on December 05, 2013, 12:34:44 PM

Perhaps the Stihl marketing gods were simply reckless with "cut and paste" (from the standard ms362) in their excitement to post specs to the USA site.  ???

bullet20

hmm   dyno them lol   and here we go just like the mower engines a few years ago and bring on the  cc's  label on them

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nmurph

Quote from: Higgins on December 05, 2013, 12:45:49 PM

Perhaps the Stihl marketing gods were simply reckless with "cut and paste" (from the standard ms362) in their excitement to post specs to the USA site.  ???

Stihl usually does a much better job of keeping their website up-to-date than Husqvarna.

Andyshine77

Quote from: nmurph on December 06, 2013, 12:24:11 AM

Stihl usually does a much better job of keeping their website up-to-date than Husqvarna.

I agree, and both site could be a lot better IMHO. From simple timing cuts, I know the 441-CM  makes more power than the non CM 441, so I'd say it's likely the 362-CM makes a bit more power as well. I think that is likely where the confusion different numbers come from.   
Andre.

beenthere

Easier to update websites than to make a change to a manual. Nothing here to get too excited about.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Something like that, most likely!   :D

The alternative would be that the US version actually makes a little less power (which wouldn't be new at all with Stihl), but I highly doubt that in this case.
Information collector.

Higgins

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 05, 2013, 09:51:50 PM
How does it run?

So far so good! Easy to start, decent amount of power for a 60cc, handles well. There is a bit of "fun factor" with this one. I suppose time will tell, as it always does.

Quote from: beenthere on December 06, 2013, 01:10:32 AM
Easier to update websites than to make a change to a manual. Nothing here to get too excited about.

Agreed.  I'm not exactly wetting myself, here.  Rather, I am curious to see if this update will bring credibility to the 362 platform after what would seem somewhat of a lackluster migration from the 361. Personally, I like the 362.  Much like its predecessor it is dependable and hard working. But, such qualities alone do not necessarily bring the "ladies" out in droves on "prom night".

pwheel

Quote from: Higgins on December 06, 2013, 04:39:12 AM
...Personally, I like the 362.  Much like its predecessor it is dependable and hard working. But, such qualities alone do not necessarily bring the "ladies" out in droves on "prom night".

LOL. I rented a 362 a few times from the local Stihl dealer. Easy to start hot or cold; ran hard. It says something that these saws can take the rental abuse. Adding M-Tronic allows the timing to advance at higher rpm's, I believe, and should give this model some added mojo that may well make the "ladies'" socks roll up and down. We'll see. :-)
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

JohnG28

Quote from: Higgins on December 06, 2013, 04:39:12 AM
How does it run?

So far so good! Easy to start, decent amount of power for a 60cc, handles well. There is a bit of "fun factor" with this one. I suppose time will tell, as it always does.

Let us know how it keeps up and if it gets better in time. Have you run non cm 362 to compare?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Higgins

Let us know how it keeps up and if it gets better in time. Have you run non cm 362 to compare?

I certainly will. So far, it has done well. It starts on the second pull every time. I fired it up last week in -26 degrees to do a bit of work--it sprung to life on the second pull. I plan to order a couple mid size saws this year and like to give the prospect(s) a decent workout before making a decision. Currently, we are running the standard 362  which are well broken-in, whereas the CM is only on its 4th tank. I want to say the CM has more "pep", but that may just be placebo effect. Besides, "pep" can be difficult to quantify, particularly in the field. Nonetheless, it is a fun saw!

ND rancher

I have a question to ask about this saw.We have a 361 (love it_ 25") and are looking at another saw. Also have a 038  that is getting tired and a 041 that we don't use(2 heavy and slow and its my FIL's). Considering the 291 and 362. The 291 has to be kitted to use 3/8 chain,so all chains are the same,which makes it cost more, it is the weight that attracts me.20" bar is what would be on them. A little feedback from users would be helpful as to pros and cons of the 2.By the way we are not everyday users just when needed. Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

sawguy21

I have not run this new model but judging by my experience with the 290 3/8 chain with a 20" bar might be be pushing the limits of a 291. JMHO, your mileage may vary.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Higgins

Quote from: ND rancher on December 11, 2013, 08:41:43 AM
I have a question to ask about this saw.We have a 361 (love it_ 25") and are looking at another saw. Also have a 038  that is getting tired and a 041 that we don't use(2 heavy and slow and its my FIL's). Considering the 291 and 362. The 291 has to be kitted to use 3/8 chain,so all chains are the same,which makes it cost more, it is the weight that attracts me.20" bar is what would be on them. A little feedback from users would be helpful as to pros and cons of the 2.By the way we are not everyday users just when needed. Keith

Based on the information you've provided, I would steer you to the ms261. It will drive a 20" chain without adding the increased weight (and cost) of the 362; nor does it require to be kitted to use a 3/8 chain like the 291. The 261 is a Pro saw and is available with m-tronic, if you so desire. Comparably, Husky has the 550xp and 555 (the latter being my preference of these two Husky's) which are fine saws. Personally, I like the handling and ergonomics of the ms261 better. YMMV. I'd suggest you try them on for size. Each will get the job done!

7sleeper

Based on the echo on this side of the lake the new m tronic version is the way to go! Because the difference is felt.

JohnG28

I believe the 261 comes set up in .325 usually. I would have thought the 291 would come set up with 3/8" though.  ??? Depends on what you are going to do with it I suppose as to what is the best saw for you.

Lanternguy

i've got the older 361 and we just chopped a bunch of dry maple logs i got for free and this saw is a treat to work.  I'm really starting to see why so many people really love the 36X series as a great overall saw.   
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Higgins

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 12, 2013, 09:14:09 AM
I believe the 261 comes set up in .325 usually. I would have thought the 291 would come set up with 3/8" though.  ??? Depends on what you are going to do with it I suppose as to what is the best saw for you.

John, you're right.  According to Stihl the MS261 comes with a 26RM3 chain. Therefore, it is, indeed, a .325.  I apologize for any confusion.  :-\

SawTroll

Quote from: Lanternguy on December 12, 2013, 11:15:39 AM
i've got the older 361 and we just chopped a bunch of dry maple logs i got for free and this saw is a treat to work.  I'm really starting to see why so many people really love the 36X series as a great overall saw.

The MS361 is by far the best of that "breed"!  ;)
Information collector.

ND rancher

Thanks Guys,I guess I'll do some checking when I go to town. When we talked on the phone the 291 was a special order and would cost more than the 362.I defiantly want to stay with 3/8 chain so there won't be any mix ups.If I get a 362 I could always put another 25 on it.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

SawTroll

The situation is that the MS362 is a rather unattractive model to anyone but die hard Stihl fans. The c-m may help some, but they really need to start from scratch.... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!