iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dreams of a cabin

Started by Jeff, December 04, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

You should definitely stay away from trenches Lynn. You would fall in and mangle your other wing.  ::)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Autocar

I understand we must have rules but pretty darn sad when you can't build on your own land. When we built our house I sawed all the lumber and poured the cement foundation. Only thing they required was a building permit and a inspection on the septic system.
Bill

submarinesailor

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on April 11, 2017, 10:49:02 AM
In West Virginia, Morgan County where I am building my retirement home they inspect the septic installation and the electric company inspects the electrical connection to the house. Beyond that the licensed contractor is responsible for the stability of the structure. Strange but true.

Jon

Jon - If I understand it correctly, it is the same way over in Marion County (Fairmont area) too.  A buddy of mine is TRYING to build a combo workshop and house all on one slab.  The only thing the county requires is the septic.  The electric company decides if they will hook up to you system or not.

Bruce

CJennings

The code, especially the portions on graded lumber, have a lot more to do with protecting big business than protecting people. In my own state (Vermont) almost half of the housing stock was built before 1950. Houses are not routinely falling down on people here. There is still no statewide code so it's always been buyer beware when buying a house. Who buys a house without getting an inspection done anyways. The argument that the next person to own it needs protection via codes doesn't hold water. The town I own land in doesn't have zoning yet. I haven't drawn a single permit for my cabin. If I ever put plumbing in it, I would need a state septic permit. That's it. If the state ever adopts that code I'd still build what I want and tell them to go pound sand and bring an army to stop me, I'm no one's cash cow. But I can understand you not wanting to deal with that Jeff.

Dave Shepard

I don't buy the "to protect the next owner" bit. If the code is to protect people, it should also protect the original builder, too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!