iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dreams of a cabin

Started by Jeff, December 04, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

We went through a bunch of that stuff and adhesive caulk building the cabin at the Billarosa.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

The Loggers are getting ready to move out in the next couple days, so moved my cedar up to the front of my property where I can easily get to it. No sign of spring yet there. In fact they have had about another foot of snow since this photo was taken by Lou  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

That is a very nice & well stacked whack.  I know that you are anxious to start on your project.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Our little cabin, from local cedar and a little help from our Woodmizer. Note the dog ramp for our many beloved mutts. A work in progress....

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

5quarter

If I owned your house and that cabin, I'd rent out the house and live in the cabin. ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

I just returned after a week up on my property. I wanted to be there just as the huge snow pac from this year was gone but it was still draining to see where water was and was not on my property.  Good news is the high ground could not be dryer. We got a 2 inch rain storm that flooded the cabin yard while Burlkraft and I was there, so we went down to my property to check that. Not a puddle. :)   Weird though, we have a Mallard Hen nesting about 50 feet from where Steve and I built our composting outhouse. Its only about a 20 second flight to 400 acre Carlton lake though.  I took a video clip of the nest before leaving this morning and while waiting the for the inspector from the electric company to show up on my request to get power in. That's a whole other story. The big City has come to the U.P. when it comes to code. >:(

http://youtu.be/ZU7Z4jic4OE

Jeff

This is a walk into our new property and future cabin site. Our previous property, just across and down the road still had snow in the driveway. This demonstrates just how much dryer the new ground is.
http://youtu.be/SfvfQML5xC4

Magicman

I know that you are excited about the prospects of getting this project underway. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jeff

Phase one is almost completed. The outhouse.  We used the bug killed tamarack Burlkraft and I sawed out I think 3 years ago now. We used Butt and Pass to build it. Paul_H thought that was highly appropriate. :D

This is going to be a composting outhouse, so, no hole.

The river had several freighters stacked up at the mouth. 7 when I took this picture, but only got part of them in the shot.  The ice flow was to thick and dangerous that morning for the pilot boat to get out to them, so they had to sit until it could. I should have taken a picture of the pilot boat. I walked around it so I wouldn't get it in the shot.

Ljohnsaw

Jeff,

I like the outhouse.  I'm thinking that will be the first building I will put up as well.  It may just be temporary.  I have my well and septic in so it will be a flush toilet.  How did you attach your "logs" together?  Rebar spikes or "nail" spikes?  Two per wall/log? What are you planning for the roof finish?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

The outhouse is just one of them first essentials.  :) Nice little shack. ;D

Is the back of the lot on water front?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The outhouse is now open and ready to do your business. :)

ellmoe

Do you need an appointment? ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

Nice view,of the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

And I don't see a single mosquito, gnat or black fly in the photos!   8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

You also don't see me in the photo covered in mosquito bites, black fly bites and the occasional tick!  They are horrible, and I'm starting to look like hamburger. I really screwed up three nights ago. I left the cabin at 4pm and worked on the well until dark. To my horror, I found when I returned I had some how had a brain fart and never pulled the front door shut.  That was the night from hell.

SwampDonkey

I think he spray bombed the outhouse. :D Not fun, them things will lug you off drop by drop. :D

Deer flies just started here and it's in the 80's the last couple days. No ticks around here, and don't want any. The hot sun will stop the mosquitoes around here and the black flies back down some to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Had a visitor up here last night. The mud is pretty firm so hard to see the track with the camera, and Bears don't tend to leave to many tracks, even a big bear like this one. Hard to see, but the toes are up by my toes, and the back of his heel is about two thirds back on my foot., So his track is around 9 inches long

WmFritz

And you thought the Skeeter's and flies where a pest.
Wouldn't want to come to the front door open
and find a bruin sittin in your Lazy-Boy!   :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

I to found a bear track up by the woodlot. And yesterday I saw a track and later a dung pile in the middle of a trail at work. The hunters have bated the area in the past, I see old pales around that were used for cooking grease.

Jeff

To bad building a cabin wasn't as easy as it is with photoshop.  :)

Corley5

Put the chimney higher on the peak so the snow doesn't take it off.  If you're going with metal roofing  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Thats just a random photo I stuck in there. :)

luvmexfood

Didn't read the entire post but from experience here is what I found. Once you go to the cabin and it has not been heated for several days everything inside will be equal with the average outside temp. So you start heating and all the walls, furniture etc. or still at outside temp except for the surface area. Takes awhile to get warm but once you do it takes a lot less heat to keep it warm.

As far as commode and water traps no need to buy expensive RV antifreeze. Just get the good grade of windshill washer fluid that is rated 20 below or something like that. When you put in commode tank be sure and flush so it can migrate thru the connection at bottom of tank.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!