iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Self grafted oak tree?

Started by Delawhere Jack, December 03, 2013, 04:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

After a milling job today, the client gave me a tour of his woods. He pointed out this "self grafted" oak tree. The two stems are from a common stump and they've grafted themselves together about 12' up. I've never seen anything like this. Is this a candidate for Ripley's Believe It or Not?

thecfarm

I have a white pine like that. It is rare. I have seen a white pine limb that grew back into the tree,like a handle.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It happens.  Here are two examples.

There are a couple more of these in my neighbor's yard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

Super cool. Never seen anything like that
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Deese

That's very interesting. Think I'll do a little research on the topic  :P
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

jdonovan

have a few oaks on my farm that have done it. Thought it was unique until I found the 2nd, and 3rd examples on the same parcel.

coxy

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 03, 2013, 04:55:32 PM
After a milling job today, the client gave me a tour of his woods. He pointed out this "self grafted" oak tree. The two stems are from a common stump and they've grafted themselves together about 12' up. I've never seen anything like this. Is this a candidate for Ripley's Believe It or Not?

what a nice table that would be ;D

1270d

I came across two hard maples grown together like that.   I cut out the "h" section and brought ithome since iits the first letter of my last name.  Thought it might make a cool sign on the beginning of my drive.

mesquite buckeye

We had a black oak grafted to a bur oak. We called them The Lovers. Both trees have since died. Guess it didn't work out. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!