iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy looking at a Jonsered 111s

Started by rockbottom, December 03, 2013, 12:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockbottom

Hi folks,

I'm new on the board, but I've been lurking for a while. As the title would suggest, I'm looking at a Jonsered 111s online. I'd post a link but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. Buying anything, especially something like a saw, sight unseen makes me uncomfortable.

I have a couple of saws, and I've been running saws on the folks' place since I was 10 or 11 (with supervision, obviously). I'd like to get a big saw. Dad and I have wanted to try chainsaw milling for as long as I can remember. We've got cottonwoods and elms that are 5' plus diameter and over 100' tall. This saw would have to drop them, buck them, and mill them. There are lots of saws that would do what I need, but I don't have a ton of money to spend.

So, the Jonsered. The ad doesn't say whether the chain is 3/8 or .404. I suppose it could be either, but I assumed one that large would be .404. The only bars baileys has are short, 3/8 pitch. I don't think I have a preference. But If I did need to change the pitch someday, where would I get a new sprocket / drum for it? Are parts for something of that age still available? I do have a dealer relatively close by. The seller calls the saw a 1101, but the model is a 111s. I don't know what that's about either. Every manufacturer had some real hits and some total dogs. Were these dogs, or just kinda average.
How much is too much for a running 111s that needs an ignition switch?

If not this Jonsered, what other saws would you all suggest?

If there's anything I'm missing don't be afraid to call me out on it.

Thanks for your time,
rockbottom
1960's Homelite Super Xl Automatic and a Wen lumberjack that somebody left at the dump

beenthere

rockbottom
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Problem and risk you might run into here, is telling what you found for sale, and someone else being alerted to it and buy it out from under you.

Asking about the model is less risky on your part. Am sure there will be several who can help you out with your decision. Myself, and buying used, I wouldn't expect it to be a top running saw and may as well plan on doing some work on it to get it to run good. Not always true, but there is a reason the seller is 'selling' the item.

Your projects making lumber with a chainsaw sound very interesting. A lot of work, but always have to start somewhere.

Hope you keep us posted on how things are going. What length bar are you going after?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rockbottom

Hi beenthere,

Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying about telling everybody too much. I reworded it a little.

It comes with a 28" which would work for a lot of what it would be cutting. We don't drop those really big trees unless they are in danger of falling on a house, shop, or similar. I'd most likely end up with a 36-48" bar.
1960's Homelite Super Xl Automatic and a Wen lumberjack that somebody left at the dump

AdkStihl

The 111s is the holy grail for Jonsereds enthusiasts / collectors.
Parts are mostly NLA (no longer available) and pricey when you do find them.
It would be against many chainsaw religions to mill with a 111s in this current day and age.
But if the shoe fits.......wear it.
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!