iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Socially And Technically Correct Nomenclature

Started by YellowHammer, December 02, 2013, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

This weekend I was sawing a customer's pecan log and after the customary "No, there can't be any metal in it" I got down to about the third board and the saw blade started zinging with the sound we all know and hate.  There were so many nails that I could have sold the log for scrap iron. 
So I called the customer to describe how many nails were in his log and all I could come up with were a few technically accurate but certainly socially incorrect terms.  ;D.  So I checked the FF dictionary and came up empty (or at least I couldn't find anything).
Questions is: what is the technically correct and socially acceptable nomenclature for a large quantity of nails in a log? Not just one or two nails, but so many nails it looks like somebody was given a hammer for their birthday?
Herd?  School? Flock? Gaggle? Nest?  Bucket full?  Junkyard?
Thanks for your help,
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

It depends on who owns the nails. If they belong to your customer, you have found "An Inconvenience" of nails. If they belong to you, they are "An Aggravation" of nails.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

YH Maybe an old school carpenter,"if one nail is good, then a bunch would be better!" So put on a new blade and saw saw saw. Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

samandothers

It it was a butt log you could indicate a butt load of nails!

drobertson

You could bet a barrel of nails that is was a "Butt Load of Nails"!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Barrel?  Keg?

All these nails could drive a man to drink  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mikeb1079

sounds like some walnut logs i sawed awhile back....they were absolutely infested with nails.   ::) :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

If I found that many nails, I would forget about the "Socially Correct" part.

Nails are bad enough, but nails and Pecan ( smiley_devil), that is just not fair  :'( >:(

An infestation?  I like it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

There was definitely  ;D some socially unacceptable cussing going on, as this log topped off an otherwise bad day.  Bama had just lost THE game and I had been wanting to get this little bitty nasty looking pecan log done for a customer, so figured I'd do something productive and work my frustrations out.  I put a new blade on, cut the very first slab and it popped sideways out of the board return and dismounted the running blade in a screech of metal.  Put a new blade on, made a couple of cuts and then ran into the "____" of nails.  One log, two blades, 3 boards and I was done for the day...
YH
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Brucer

I'm afraid I don't have a suitable adjective. However ... sometimes a phrase will convey a concept much better than an adjective. When a customer asked why I hadn't sawn her log, I told her I ran my metal detector over it and "it sounded like a geiger counter at Three Mile Island". (substitute Chernobyl or Fukushimi, depending on the customer's age ;D)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Brad_bb

Not to add salt to the wound, but seriously want to know whether you ran a metal detector over it first?  If so, did it pick up the metal or not.  I don't have much experience here, so I'm just trying to find out.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

highleadtimber16

Timber from the mountain has it's benefits   :)
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

WDH

Tom L

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 02, 2013, 09:48:53 PM
A "hardware store ". ?

I like this one, ^^^^

"that log has more nails than a hardware store"

YellowHammer

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 03, 2013, 12:44:43 AM
Not to add salt to the wound, but seriously want to know whether you ran a metal detector over it first?  If so, did it pick up the metal or not.
Well, to add a little more snakebite to the day, I have two metal detectors, a wand and a coil.  When I got ready to saw the log I checked it with the wand but found the battery was dead. So I grabbed the coil and swept it and came up with nothing. My wife commented that I had remarked earlier that I didn't trust the coil detector so why not wait until we went to the store to buy a battery for the wand?  Well, me being impatient, said the famous last words "I don't want to wait, how bad can it be?'  I suppose I found out.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Deese

YH--If you would have taken an "extra second" to go get those batteries, you could have avoided the frustration  ;D

Sorry I couldn't help myself ;D  ;D

WAR EAGLE!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

PC-Urban-Sawyer

YH,

Now let me get this straight...

You tried to scan with a wand which works well when it has fresh batteries but found the batteries were dead, so...

You scanned with a coil, which you had previously informed your wife was in your opinion untrustworthy...

And the coil said it was clean...

And your wife (being the intelligent creature she must be to have married you...) asked if it wouldn't be a good idea to wait until you could get fresh batteries for the wand because you said you didn't trust the coil...

And you said, to misquote one of my Naval heros: "DanG the nails, full speed ahead!" since after all, how bad could it be?

Boy, I be you've been ate up with "I told you so"s from that intelligent lady.

:D :D :D :D

Herb

chickenchaser

Quote from: Deese on December 03, 2013, 09:31:01 AM

Sorry I couldn't help myself ;D  ;D

WAR EAGLE!

Mr. Moderator - we shouldn't have to tolerate actions such as this! This poster needs  ban_smiley....

;)

WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

chickenchaser

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2013, 08:47:42 AM
I have two metal detectors, a wand and a coil...
...I had remarked earlier that I didn't trust the coil detector

I've read differing opinions on each. Is the lack of trust due to something related to your particular coil detector or would you prefer the wand regardless?

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Sixacresand

It would be tempting to just say "you owe the cost of a band if it can't be sharpened". As Postonlt40hd posted recently,  you will find more metal with a blade than with a metal detector. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!