iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long awaited vintage saw project

Started by msjdgman, December 02, 2013, 05:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msjdgman

After having worked around this old saw out in one of our sheds for over 35 years, and then putting it in the front of an old storage trailer 14 years ago, I decided yesterday to dig this old girl out and start cleaning her up, in hopes of someday hearing it run again.  It rolls over and has compression, but that`s as far as I got with it yesterday.

Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Al_Smith

If it isn't stuck eventually it will run .Old Macs are tough to kill .

pineywoods

Oh Lordy, do I remember them things. I never used one, I was too puny. My job was to keep them running...Most guys who did use them developed back problems...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sshier

Hello looks like a fun project I have same saw and it has a story very similar to yours. My uncle was a faller in northern mi. I found it few years ago in the tool shed all coverd up so i started tearing into it and just got busy keeping my own saws, skidder, trucks,loader and everything else running still sitting on work bench. Maybe someday ill fix it or sell for someone else to enjoy. Good luck on you restoration

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

msjdgman

The one thing I regret about this saw is that I never asked anyone in the family about the hows and why we even had the darned thing, let alone the work (and stories) that was done with it.  I can only assume it was used for land clearing on the farm, since several tracts were purchased in the late forties and early fifties.  When I mentioned hearing it run again, I should clarify that I`ve never heard it run...it had been used by my dad, grand dad, and great grand dad, and I only saw it stored away in the shed up against the east wall for all of those years.  I will ask my uncle about it, he`s the only family member still alive, so perhaps he can shed some light on the subject.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

Thank You Sponsors!