iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another reason why New Zealand is a great place to live

Started by Ernie, December 02, 2013, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

On Saturday, Jan and I attended a farewell party at the local town hall (Uruti).  Our neighbour, almost 40 years ago had sold the farm and was moving to Waiheke Island to spend his days lying in the sun and fishing. 

This is a small rural area of real down to earth people.  There were around 200 people in attendance which is almost the total area population, everyone from the oldies on their last legs to babes in arms.  As usual, every one brought a plate of goodies.

We spent hours reminiscing about the old days and remembering those who had passed and celebrating those who are new to the area and their families.  Keith, like me, is 72 and, also like me, his wife is 65  old enough to have had enough of farming and young enough to enjoy the outdoors and fishing, from the shore, in his boat or from his sea kayak.

I know of very few places in this world where the whole community turns out for occasions such as this with no arguments or ill will only bright cheer and good will.  No one drank too much, everyone ate too much and laughter echoed through whole place.

It felt good!!

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Ernie! A really good story. Something like this is few and far between.
Thanks for sharing.  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Food,fun and laughter. Food is the top of my list.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

That is what it is all about...family and friends!  My sister and brother in-law spent 2 years in New Zealand during their 12 year sailing 'vacation'.  They absolutely loved it there.  Met lots of good people and made some great friends.  They are still talking about it!  Hope to visit some day.   Thanks for sharing.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

justallan1

Thanks for sharing your story, Ernie.
It reminds me of my little hometown county fair. Good times indeed.

Allan

Hilltop366

Sounds like a great time.

There are a few communities like that around here in south west Nova Scotia but they are getting thinned out of young people, many move to Halifax or to the Alberta oil patch.

Hmmmm... Ernie didn't I read that you are originally from the maritimes?

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ernie

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 03, 2013, 09:51:33 AM
Hmmmm... Ernie didn't I read that you are originally from the maritimes?

Nope, sorry, born and raised in Toronto, left when I was 28, been back a few times but only in the summertime.  Jan, a kiwi, asked for years "Why don't we go live in Canada?"  A couple of years ago, SIL was doing a fellowship at Sick kids Hospital in Toronto so I sent Jan over in February for a couple of weeks, She now knows why we live here. although she did enjoy skiing the Blue Mountains. ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Sixacresand

Enjoyed the story, Ernie.  I wish we could enjoy the company of others more often. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 03, 2013, 07:13:40 PM
Sounds just like the West Palm Beach area. :D

It sure does....but in WPB, there would be 1 person who would wreck a party like Ernies.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!