iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough ground oak videos

Started by CCC4, December 02, 2013, 07:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Here is one from Sunday, working a bluff line at the top of a steep ground section. One tree had big kick back potential and the other was growing right up beside a bluff shelter. Pretty dangerous falls executed successfully. Thanks for viewing....I gotta go to work  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6pzs9EbhE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9D6vh_dvq4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

Maine logger88

Nice vid its cool too see other peoples techniques looks like that 660 (I'm assuming that its the same saw as in your other vids I don't know stihl very well) works great for big oak. do you round file or square file? And are you using a gopro?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

CCC4

Thanks man! The camera is a Contour 1080p, I like them better due to the mounting is on the side of my head as opposed to the GoPro mounts anywhere but side mount...easier to deal with the brush. Yes that is my 660...I have a screamer coming this week, I'm gonna leave it Left Coast setup and use it on bigger timber due to the full wrap that is coming with it.

I round file, I have used square filed and like it fine, but as far as touching up the cutters in the bush...I just run round filed. I am going to switch to full skip for my longer bars though.

Square filed is nice though, I just have some sort of mental block when it comes to hand filing square...and I refuse to pack like 10 loops and just change them out when they get dull.  ::)

Maine logger88

Yeh I have a gopro hero 3 I'm gonna just put a sticky mount on my helmit and try to make some vids soon I gotta get a laptop first tho I've just been borrowing one. I've heard good things about the contour tho. I have never tryed square filed I heard a lot of people like it but round has always worked good for me too
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

bluff shelter?? I just call them big rocks on my land.  :D 
I noticed you cut on each side of the tree with these trees. My Father showed me that and do I do that to just about every tree. Never had a barber chair. First time I saw a barber chair I was helping to clear brush for a nursing home. I had no idea what it was and how unsafe they are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

Who was watching you in the second clip?

CCC4

Quote from: 1270d on December 02, 2013, 08:26:38 PM
Who was watching you in the second clip?

My boss. We were cutting this section together. A little bit intimidating due to how good of a faller with 35 years experience in oak, standing there on that cut. Once in the cut I was on point and it wouldn't have mattered who was standing there.

CCC4

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2013, 07:53:35 PM
bluff shelter?? I just call them big rocks on my land.  :D 
I noticed you cut on each side of the tree with these trees. My Father showed me that and do I do that to just about every tree. Never had a barber chair. First time I saw a barber chair I was helping to clear brush for a nursing home. I had no idea what it was and how unsafe they are.

LOL! I call all over hangs bluff shelters. There is one on this place that is over hung about 25 ft. There is a bed spring outside of it that looks to me to be hand forged almost. Tons of rock walls here. I have a pile of pics of really neat stuff on this tract. Old still sites (furnace ring), a beautiful chimney with red clay as mortar...all kinds of stuff. There is a White oak about 4 1'2 to 5' on the stump...pretty sure it is a legit Indian pointer tree, going to photograph that for sure.

dboyt

With all those rocks, and you never tried to cut into one with the chain?  The tip of my bar has a rock magnet.  It there is a rock within 20' of the tree, I'll nick it, for sure! >:(  The trees are down and you're still standing, so was a success.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

CCC4

Quote from: dboyt on December 03, 2013, 09:35:24 AM
With all those rocks, and you never tried to cut into one with the chain?  The tip of my bar has a rock magnet.  It there is a rock within 20' of the tree, I'll nick it, for sure! >:(  The trees are down and you're still standing, so was a success.

Yes Sir, I'm still standing! LOL! Rocks don't bother me as much as the sand spray when cutting low. I made a few videos today, one of them I was falling a just super nice white oak...probably one of the finest quality I have ever cut...anyhow, I dismissed the saw cutting a little slow for the tree just being super hard...well I had tipped a gravel while facing, I should have shut her down and sharpened but my video was running so it took a little longer to get the tree down.

The tract where my latest pine videos came from, well it is solid mountain creek gravel! You have to pay really close attention when bucking...if you cut through...you have just graveled yer chain! Awesome! LOL!

Thanks!

clww

I liked that first video. 8) I also liked your Humbolt wedge you used. I'm the only guy in our crew that uses that technique, no matter how many times I tell the advantages of it..... ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Big timber little dozer

Hey mainelogger88 what Part from the vacationland are you located
Yep that's what I thought

thecfarm

Big timber little dozer,see where you have Maine under your user name? Look under his user name. Update yours,we won't bite.
And welcome to the forum. Are you 14 years old and working in the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Big timber little dozer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 06, 2013, 09:42:46 PM
Big timber little dozer,see where you have Maine under your user name? Look under his user name. Update yours,we won't bite.
And welcome to the forum. Are you 14 years old and working in the woods?
no the cfarm is scary
Yep that's what I thought

Redbark

Could you guys describe what you mean by Humbolt wedge? I couldn't tell from the video.

beenthere

First cut is straight (flat with the ground, or square with the butt log), with the angle cut up from below to meet at a point to form the wedge.

i.e. the angle is removed from the stump, not from the end of the butt log.
Humbolt is typically a Western way to not lose board length due to loss of wood in the butt log. When sawing softwood, lengths are in multiples of 2' so a 16'4" log with a miscut butt may only yield 14' lumber which cuts into the overrun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

Excellent explanation beenthere!!

Redbark, here is a video where you can see the Humbolt face a little bit better, on this tree I put a mild conventional "snipe" in to keep her on the stump just a little longer. The first wedge to come out was the Humbolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIyHOkoqWCk

Redbark

Got it. Thanks for the great video!!

Thank You Sponsors!