iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello all

Started by Rachiano, December 02, 2013, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachiano

Hi All,
I have been reading the FF for more than 2 years now. Now I created an account and finally joined the FF. I came accross a lot of usefull information on this site even before I bought my WM LT70 DCS. The machine is now 2 years old. Haven't been working for 4 months now. I was buying logs at someones concession's landing and sawing to lumber to sell. For 4 months they refuse to sell me logs...but that's the case if you are tight up with one supplier.
I am in the process of moving to a new site to buy logs from various suppliers.
Will post some pics of the progress and past operation.
We saw hard and softwoods targeting the construction market.
I know for sure I will get a lot of help on this site.

Great forum.

Rachiano.
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
Werklust WG25 Wheel loader
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

m wood

welcome ranchiano to the forum.  You will certainly find good company here.  You're not the first member from south America and I wish you well on the log supply search.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Ranchiano.
I've figured out anything you can't find here might not have happened yet. ;D
A great bunch of folks willing to share.

Allan

Magicman

Hello Rachiano, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Howdy Rachiano, hope all goes well for you next step forward in log acquisition, It can be a struggle when competing with other mills and loggers,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Rachiano.welcome to the forum. Good luck to you.  Change is good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rachiano.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Welcome and good luck. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Rachiano

Many thanks for the warm welcome....
Below some pics regarding moving....
Need to look up some old milling pics to post.

She is covered from the humid weather

Breaking up the old site

Stressed loading loading loading....

Burning everything we can at the old site

Very heavy 6 foot ext. for the lt70 dcs

That truck helps a lot

Prepping the new site

What a ladder....it worked

Scary up there

Chow Chow enjoying her new playground

All 2x4's in place

Starting to cover

So far so good
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I like that sawshed!  smiley_thumbsup  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Great pics.
I'd say that ladder was someone's challenge alright and amazing it worked so well. Gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. And wish for good luck.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Hope we can continue to see and hear about your progress.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Welcome Rachiano and thanks for the photo's!

Best of success to you with your new location.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Papa1stuff

Don't think I would like to climb your ladder ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

21incher

Welcome Rachiano. Good luck in your new location. Looks like you are not afraid of hard work or shaky ladders so I am sure you will succeed.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

arnold113

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rachiano. Thanks for the pictures.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

jmouton

howdy   rachiano   and welcome ,,  nice pics  too
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Bill Gaiche

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. How wide is the span between post on the shelter?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Rachiano

Hi Customsawyer,
In length the space between the posts is 5 meters and in widht it's 11 meters...11 meters wide.
When finished the sawshed will be 30 meters long. Height is around 6 to 7 meters. A lot of room to move around...sun is very hot...around 34 degrees celcius. Good to have that much shade.
I hope the space will be enough for the coming 2 years.....having plans to grow...adding edgers..and material handling equipment in the near future....depends on how business will evolve.

Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Rachiano.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Rachiano

Hi Guys,
It has been a long time since I am logging into FF again.
Have been bussy setting up the new sawing site and starting with work.
Thought to share some pics of the new operation....because without pics it never happened... :)

Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

sprucebunny

Thanks for the great pictures  8)

Looks like things are going well at your new location.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

Looks like "busy" is an understatement.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Rachiano
Thanks for the new pics. Sawing some great looking lumber, and your crew looks like they are proud of their work too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Great photos - thanks!

One question - how do you debark your logs?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Rachiano

Hi scsmith42,
Most bark we remove with the help of a "crowbar" (if it's called so), A small axe and a cutlass.
The logs in the pics were standing like 6 months on the suppliers landing, that's why most of the bark felt off.
I am planning to create a seperate log deck and add a pressure washer to the operation to clean the logs before they are added to the sawmills log deck. I know it will add up cost to the operation, but I will win time in cleaning logs. Will definitely increase production. Currently we clean the logs with a broom and wire brush but sometimes the logs get very dirty and it's a pita to clean them. I have a debarker on the LT70, but haven't used it since it didn't work from the beginning. Have to troubleshoot it...may be  faulty silenoid switch.
Ultimately having a morbark debarker to clean the logs upfront would be nice.
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

clww

Great pictures you shared.
Looks like the job is working out for you. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dblair

nice pictures , welcome aboard, like that shed . it's got plenty of room .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

Puzzles me a bit how anyone can use that wheelbarrow with the handles bent up like that.  ???

Appears to be very awkward compared to handles running straight out from the wheel axle, but maybe not.
south central Wisconsin

James MacDonald

Rachiano,

Impressed, I think you may have the biggest sawmill shed of any member!
I can not see what happens to the log side slabs?  Maybe photo 17 shows them spread on the ground? Can you make charcoal out of the by-products?
Love your mill Dog.
Jimmy Mac
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

Rachiano

Hi James,
Thanks for the compliments.
With the log side slabs we make the ground around the mill somewhat stable by laying them
side by side and pouring sawdust over them. The sand is savanna sand...like beach sand...so trucks can get stuck very fast in the sand.
We can sure make charcoal out of the by products...but I am piling them up now for a future plan.
At our sawmill we have no electricity...when it's needed we run a generator. I have been looking into "gasifiers" stuff lately and will build one if the time is right, so I can run the gen from burned wood. Even sawdust can be made to pellets and burned in a gasifier to run a generator. That's what my plan is...so no burning of waste material for now....letteing them dry in the 34 degrees celcius sun everyday... :D

More info on gasifiers can be found online....see youtube for some vids and All Power Labs makes some interesting stuff....see thear website http://www.gekgasifier.com/
Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

customsawyer

If the debarker hasn't worked since the beginning could it be as simple as the breaker switch needs reset?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!