iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

super hybrid loblolly pines

Started by jmo, December 01, 2013, 02:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmo

new to this site and thanks,

i need to plant some  trees on my property .  want just a few (maybe 14) for shade and privacy.  found some of the hybrid loblollies on the net claiming extraordinary fast growth.

are these claims real?  2 year old pines 14 feet high?  3year old 18feet?
would  georgia giant from GFC grow just as fast if i kept them watered?
yard is mostly clay with a little topsoil.

brendonv

Do you have a link to said website?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

curdog

I've never dealt with these hybrids or loblolly from the Georgia nursery, but 14 foot tall in two years is screaming if you are planting one year old seedlings. When I plant open fields we look at approximately trees that are 3- 5 feet at the end of the second growing season. Most of our ground is a sandy clay with site index of 79-80 on average for loblolly on a fifty year base. If you have better soils you can expect quicker height growth, but you have to remember that the tree should use the first year to develop a root system, with a little height growth. I'd say the root system would have a hard time keeping up with a tree that was growing 14 feet in two years.
Maybe someone on here will have experience with these particular trees, but our premium family select lobs aren't putting on that kind of growth ( at least from what I've seen)
But I would expect a good privacy screen after 4-5 years, with no maintenance.

jmo

my yard is hard clay.   talked to a guy i know with some landscaping experience and he said the key to any tree is to keep the water to it.  planted stands would not get the same care as a yard tree.

chain

What about ice-storm resiliency of those fast growing Lobs?

jmo

chain

By the way, welcome to the Forum! I asked the question about the Ice because here in Mizzou a few have tried the loblolly and have had severe damage from the storms. For that matter , we have native Short-leafed pine that usually can handle icing, but do have damage from the major storms with high winds.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jmo

thanks for the welcome

i have researched loblollies, growth rate, replanting, transplanting from a container, soils, etc. on the net and as all of you know you can find ANYTHING on the net (no requirement whatsoever that it be true).

i like integrity and there seems to be a good bit of it here

RynSmith

Hi jmo - I'm skeptical, but more to the point, I'd be surprised if they would have their best growth on clay.  Have you consulted your local soil survey?  There's a good chance it would have a Site Index for regular loblolly on your soil type(s).

Claybraker

Not so fast. I remember the Great Blizzard of '89. We got a full 1" of snow, with drifts as high as 2" in places. Sorta looked like somebody dumped a huge bowl of grits on the world.

I'd also be interested to know if anybody has some experience with the Arborgen super trees.

WDH

I would expect fast growth, but not 14 feet in two years.  Maybe 14 feet in three - four years.  I have some third generation loblolly that is at 20 feet in 5 years, but not quite on average across the stand, but close.  The mass control pollinated trees (CMP) that Arbor-gen grows do great, but 14 feet of height in two years is not reasonable to expect except in the most perfect of conditions. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I would be interested in subsoiling as deeply as possible to break the clay pan.  This will help, but it is no miracle.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jmo.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmo

too tired now, will give more info tomorrow.  had to go to doctor in savannah, stopped on the way home at arbor gen site outside of claxton, ga.  man i talked to last week was not there, but saw some planted trees the secretary pointed me to by the highway.   she was not sure their age, but i will try to find out tomorrow.

jmo

Called today..he said 5-6 years.  They were at least 20 ft. probably more.  I have pics, if you were interested I could e mail them

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

I heard about those Arborgen seedlings.  Have never seen them at 5-6 years old.  We planted about 50 acres of the Georgia Giant this year.  Where in SE GA are you?  And welcome

Thank You Sponsors!