iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

coffee exploded

Started by trapper, December 01, 2013, 10:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Yesterday getting ready to visit kids I heated coffee in microwave in FF cup.  Went over to sink to pour it into a travel mug  As I started to pour the coffee either boiled over or something causes it to explode.  Soninlaw thinks it may have been caused by an air bubble in the coffee,  My thought is that the coffee was near boiling and as the container in a microwave gets hoter than the contents pouring may have caused the coffee to boil over. any other ideas?  Minor burn on my hand but worse my FF cup is cracked and a couple chips from inside making it useless.  Have to see if Jeff has more to sell.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

TimRB

clww

I heat mine in my FF mug every morning, then pour it into the travel mug, too. I've never had this happen, and I hope it doesn't.
Sorry about your hand and the mug.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Could have possibly been a piece of metal in the ceramic mixture that the mug was made of!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

The problem is super heating. Check out the link given on the section about microwaving.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Superheating is the cause. The water in the centre of the cup can actually get OVER boiling point, but it wont boil as it's not in contact with any solid surface for the bubbles to form. When you disturb it, often by adding coffee, it instantly starts to boil furiously, and spills out over your hand.  :o

It's a bit like opening an overheated radiator. In that case the pressure is keeping the water from actually boiling, release the pressure, the boiling point comes back to normal, and you instantly have a geyser. Not exactly the same mechanism, but the result is similar. Hot water all over your hand.  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DDDfarmer

Cooking some corn on the cob in the microwave one day and doing the second round of corn when the measuring cup of water exploded.  Ruined a good measuring cup but the microwave was ok.  I never re-use the same water now.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!