iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flint vs Forge vs Nomad vs Archer 2

Started by wmrussel, December 01, 2013, 09:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmrussel

I'm looking at buying a couple of new data loggers.  I currently have a Nomad and love it.  One drawback: No quality internal GPS is available for this unit.  I'm looking at the Flint & Forge as possible new units.  Anyone have any experience with either of these?  What about Juniper's Archer 2? ???
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

celliott

I've done some contract cruising for Landvest. This summer they bought new Flint's, not sure what they were using before.
My only cruising\data logging experience has been with these Flint units FWIW.
The units were GPS capable, however the software was not purchased (we used handheld garmin's)
Landvest had their own data recording program which is what we used on the Flints.
Some errors early on, getting kinks worked out of their program, but no issues with the unit itself.
Had it out in pretty wet conditions, rain, snow, hot, cold, never skipped a beat. Battery life was good enough for two solid days of cruising, although I generally charged it every day.
I know the units are capable of much more program and app wise, but I've only used them with the LV cruise program.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

wmrussel

Thanks for the info, Chris.  I'm thinking of sticking with my Nomad and an external antennae.  Works great with bluetooth.  Just checking to see what else is out there.

celliott

No problem.
I can see how having GPS on the data recorder would be handy, so you wouldn't have to carry a handheld dedicated GPS unit.
I got pretty used to, and comfortable with the garmin unit along with the flint.
What type of forestry work do you do, wmrussel? Have your own consulting business?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

wmrussel

I do contract timber cruising, working for myself.  My business is Russell Precision Mapping.  Depending on how busy I am, I have 1 to 4 guys subcontracting on jobs for me.  I'm looking to get the new units for some of the subs who don't have their own.  Not to give, but to loan. 

Thank You Sponsors!