iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More hawks than crows..

Started by chain, December 01, 2013, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

..I've mentioned before of the disappearance of crows in this area. They used to winter here by the hundreds of thousands, crow shooting was quite a sport..after seasons. We had an old electronic caller, one tape was titled "Battlecry", crows fighting a owl. Very deadly as the crows would come diving and zig-zaging through the trees looking for a fight.

And if you had pecan trees, forget it, a flock of several hundred would fly in; they would crack them all up in a day or two leaving nothing but hulls.

But today, the hawks rule, red-tails especially, followed by several other hawk species. In a recent count, hawks out -numbered crows 10-1.

Seaman

I would say you are better off, unless you are a free-range chicken type. :o
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

Odd to hear you say by the hundreds of thousands of crows. If I see 10 at one time at my place that is alot. This summer I had a squawker here all summer. I would go outside and he would start letting the other know I was around. Hawks I have here,the small ones. Did not see too many this year. Only see 2 at the most at one time. I have see the hawks work the fields in the spring. Just about like a grid. They cover the whole field and fly about 10 feet high over it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

The hawks will probably have an effect on the rabbit population also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

We seem to have a growing overabundance of crows.  Please come and get a few if you feel the need.  I'll trade for you for your hawks.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

red oaks lumber

you must have a high owl population.owls prey on roosting crows.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

Crows have been hit real hard with the West Nile virus in certain areas, and pretty much wiping out some of the populations.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is good news for my Pecan crop.  Of course this year was a Pecan loss anyway, but I still hates crows.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

There seems to be no shortage of crows here, they are surprisingly intelligent and adapt well in urban areas. Like watching an aerial dog fight when a predator gets to close to the nest.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chain

The Conservation Department use to keep a public listing of crow roosts. Once, my brother and I were shooting one of the largest roosts in southern Missouri, it was almost dark, we had shot our last shells and the crows were still swarming in and alighting in thick oak cutover. They began to chatter and jabber unlike any crow call you would ordinarily hear. They talked to each other!

Years later, we had a sudden blizzard like storm late one evening, a 'white-out' I think they called the storm. The crows piled in to our cedars for the night, we could hear them jabbering also. At day break, away they all flew, back to the river to feed and water.

WildDog

I hate crows, unfortunately they are protected here. We are kidding at the moment and are losing a lot of kids to crows, they are annoying the doe as she kids and then disembowel the fresh kids from the rear end. :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!