iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine longevity

Started by LaneC, December 01, 2013, 12:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello. A new-b here. I was wondering if there is an approximate life span with normal use, of both gas and diesel engines on saw mills. If one has alot more longevity than the other? I know alot of variables exist, however I am wondering about normal use with normal maintenance performed on each, if there is a noticeable difference in one or the other, assuming the horsepower is not undersized on the machine.
Man makes plans and God smiles

barbender

If all else is equal, a diesel will outlive a gas by quite a bit. I hope I get 4000-5000 hours out of the 40 HP diesel on my mill. It only has 1300 now, and it was abused by the previous owner so we'll see.
Too many irons in the fire

Jimmy Mc

If given the option go diesel. If you are looking at 30hp and above I would go diesel for sure. The fuel savings  really start showing about there. Most of the smaller gas commercial engines will last around 2500 hrs. if given the proper maintenance. The diesels are going to last quite a lot more. Even in the small hp engines the fuel savings are a big factor.
I have a little 5hp diesel that burns maybe a pint and a half an hour. A 10hp that may burn a quart an hour. They burn so little I pay no attention to how much they burn an hour.

Jimmy
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

highleadtimber16

I have a 35 HP Yanmar Diesel on my mill, and love it! The fuel usage is incredibly low. Diesel is also cheaper than gas. Gas engines will not last as long and are prone to problems, especially if you live in a damp climate like me. To me diesels are much simpler, not to mention more powerful! My engine has 580 hours on it. I do an oil change every 250 hours. It's worth the $40 to do it regularly.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

hackberry jake

I have a 20hp honda gas motor on my mill and if I had the chance to exchange it for a 15hp diesel tomorrow, I would jump on it. Carbureted engines are trying to be phased out by ethanol. Or at least, thats how it seems to me. I am pretty good at carb rebuilds but I would rather not have to do it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WellandportRob

I have a 20 hp Honda with over a million bdf on it and it is still going strong. (knock on wood)
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

bandmiller2

Engine life gas or diesel is tough to nail down,some seem to run on forever outhers die early.Air cleaner maintenance and blowing sawdust away from cooling parts will add life.I'am a believer in synthetic oil after an engine is broken in on dyno oil.If you can plug a diesel in when its cold and allow it to warm up some before a load.Lugging is not good for any engine keep your RPM's up during a cut.Any engine will last longer out of the weather,do this and with a little luck you should get many productive hours. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LaneC

Thanks for all of the input. I am taking all responses into consideration and appreciate the feed back. So far it sounds as though diesel may be the best choice. Thanks everyone.

barbender

It isn't all sunshine for diesels. I wouldn't call them simpler, and you will probably fight with a diesel more in the cold. There are times when I would probably fire my mill up if it had a gas engine rather than the diesel, and diesel is not cheaper on this side of the border. However, overall your costs per board foot will be less with a diesel engine.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I am amazed at how much easier my new engine is to start in cold weather.  Makes me  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

I know of a diesel that has over 10,000 hrs on a mill and is running strong.  I do know of another diesel on a mill (different engine manufacturer) that gave up the ghost after 2000 hrs.  Go figure. :-\
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

ladylake

I've got 4500 hours on my Isuzu hoping for 10000, get the diesel on just fuel savings alone. In 4500 hours I've saved around $8500 over a gas engine.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sealark37

The diesel lives and dies on clean fuel and clean air.  A diesel needs it's oil and filter changed at the recommended interval.  With proper maintenance, a diesel should last at least twice as long as a gas engine.  Just my experience.  Regards, Clark

Firewoodjoe

I've thought about engine life a few times. This probably won't help on the question at hand but we change our oils at 250 hours. Seems 200-300 is the norm. My wife had a chevy cruze and it showed an average speed of 42mph. Well at 250 hours at 40mph is 10,000 miles!!! (If that Diesel engine were in a truck) And yet we change our cars 3,000-5,000 miles! Seems as though we should change our oils sooner then 250 hours? Am I missing something?

Magicman

My sawmill Diesel is turning 3K RPM when sawing, which is more than wide open for an automobile.  My manual says 250 hrs with full synthetic and 125 hrs with non synthetic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SAWMILL BUDDY

I have gas but I change my oil every 100 hrs. My diesel truck I change every 3000 miles

LaneC

Thanks everyone. That fuel figure about the amount of money saved, I think just made my decision a little easier. I knew it was a good bit but I didn't realize that much. If I wind up doing this I am pretty sure I will use the diesel. Thanks for the input.

ancjr

Coming from the lawncare buisness... the 20-30HP twins are depreciated to $0 @ around 2000 hours.  Even so, they can easily double or triple that if it's a good engine and is well maintained.

highleadtimber16

Diesel is the way to go! The only gas engines I like are two strokes. Specifically on dirt bikes and my chainsaws.  :)
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

RALFF

The 1994 LT40 hydraulic I own originally had a 24hp Onan engine that lasted through 2 owners and 5000 hours of use before it died. The second owner replaced the Onan with a 25hp Kohler just a few weeks before I bought the mill. The mill now has over 6800 hours on it and runs well every time I use it, which is typically 3-5 days a week. It uses about 5 gallons of gasoline in a day of sawing. If the present engine lasts anywhere near the same number of hours as the original I will be well satisfied and it will most likely outlast me!

Stephen1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 01, 2013, 05:32:16 PM
I've thought about engine life a few times. This probably won't help on the question at hand but we change our oils at 250 hours. Seems 200-300 is the norm. My wife had a chevy cruze and it showed an average speed of 42mph. Well at 250 hours at 40mph is 10,000 miles!!! (If that Diesel engine were in a truck) And yet we change our cars 3,000-5,000 miles! Seems as though we should change our oils sooner then 250 hours? Am I missing something?
I believe and it is just my belief,  that the oil and auto industries are in cahoots in North America.
I think we change our oil way to much. Any auto from Europe is 10-15000 miles for oil changes. The oils of today are just far superior that 50 years years ago.
I change my oil twice a year in my truck, spring and fall.vI put on 30,000 miles a year on average sometimes more, mostly highway.  I have done this for all my vehicles for the last 20 years, never had an engine failure yet.
Now my little 24 ohnan calls for 50 hrs oil change, and I do abide by that. This little motor works hard.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Gasawyer

I am happy with my V-4 Wisconsin except with fuel consumption.  The diesel mills are much more fuel efficient than my gas engine to the tune of 1gal of diesel =4-5 gal gas for me. The expected life for a v-4 is 4-6000hrs. then rebuild and do it again. The reason I picked that engine is we run them on other equipment and know how to repair them.  Maintenance is the key which ever way you go!! Good luck on your search!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

LaneC

Thanks everyone. I also think we change the oil in our vehicles way too much. I have never blown an engine yet and I probably change my oil in my truck(gas) about every 10,000 miles. It is not the engine that messes up but everything else. Alternator, brakes etc. I have a farm truck with 236,000(Nissan 4wd) and the engine is fine. I agree also about if one runs under a big load then yes change it more, but if not, the oils today are very good. Thanks for the input

beenthere

My '09 Chevy Trailblazer recommends every 10,000 miles for oil change.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

How an engine is used also matter. Be it vehicle or machinery.

On a sawmill the engine tends to run most of the day, the engine is warm, and you clock up those hours in a relatively short time, maybe a few months.

If an engine is not used regularly, or does a lot of shorter (cold) runs the oil deteriorates faster. If you only run an engine for 25 hours over the course of a year, it's probably due for an oil change anyway... Running it for maybe 4 hours a day, 250 hours comes up in a few months, and the oil is still "OK".

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!