iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I fought the log and the log won

Started by AnthonyW, November 29, 2013, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 30, 2013, 06:33:58 PM
NAPA b57 are not the same as WM b57. NAPA has a round face [ the face the blade rides on] WM are flat, and if you want your WM mill to work right buy WM parts. Dance with the one that brought you to the party. Right MagicMan. It's your old saying  8) 8) ;D

Yep. Also, the bands are not a tight fit on the wheels, they actually have some slack. That is by design, it let the belt shake off sawdust that get stuck on it.

AnthonyW

Why does NAPA carry belts 'compatible' with a sawmill? Did I get the right item?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Chuck White

Quote from: AnthonyW on November 30, 2013, 06:58:08 PM
Why does NAPA carry belts 'compatible' with a sawmill? Did I get the right item?

There is nothing special about the size of the belts, it's just the design, with the flat crown, vs the autoparts B-57 belts with the rounded crown!

The autoparts belts will get you out of a pinch, in-fact, a couple of years ago I had a belt get cut when a blade broke, so I picked up a B-57 from the autoparts and it got me going again, but at the same time I had a new pair on order from Wood-Mizer! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

AnthonyW

I have never seen an automotive belt with grooves on the outside. The belts that are on my mill have grooves on the blade side. Do they not do that anymore?

Magicman

There is no way to determine just what belts whoever had installed on the sawmill.  My suggestion is to use the proper B57 belts from WM.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Listen to these guys,Daddy knows.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I was poking around the WM site a couple of weeks ago and the belts were $11 and change. That's a good price anywhere, and it's the right part.

I keep my old belts, too, although I only keep the best couple of belts and toss the rest.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2013, 08:11:49 PM
There is no way to determine just what belts whoever had installed on the sawmill.  My suggestion is to use the proper B57 belts from WM.

Has anyone seen belts with grooves in them on any mill? On any woodmizer mill? The grooves follow the circumference like an automotive serpentine belt turned inside out. Not like the notched inside of an automotive V-belt.

The WM belts are on the way and I will use those. But I'm also interested in gathering as much information about the situation and the options while I'm in it. Nothing like learning while doing.

Dave Shepard

I've never seen a V belt with grooves anywhere on it. Only flat serpentine belts, like you have mentioned.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HaroldSiefke

You could go to your local auto parts store and buy some belts to get you by till your woodmizer belts come in. Then you could saw at your brothers house. 8)
Harold

LeeB

Anthony, what color are the belts you mention and are they a tight fit or loose fit? I think Suffolk offered a tight fitting belt that may have had grooves on the outside like a belt on a shop band saw.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

AnthonyW

Quote from: LeeB on November 30, 2013, 11:28:40 PM
Anthony, what color are the belts you mention and are they a tight fit or loose fit? I think Suffolk offered a tight fitting belt that may have had grooves on the outside like a belt on a shop band saw.

They are orange. Bingo. Suffolk Machinery offers them. They are right on their website. If you haven't seen belts with the grooved face, swing by and check them out. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/urethane-band-wheels.html

Magicman

OK, that makes sense now.  I tried the orange belts once and they proved unsatisfactory for me so I went back to WM B57's.  I should have known better, but it was a lesson learned.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coastlogger

For what its worth Ive never used anything but NAPA belts.13 yrs a few 100 ooo bd ft.Never had an issue that I could attribute to them. Reading this thread tho I think Ill try a set of WM belts,see how I like them.
If I was stuck for a belt and knew I could get one locally Id be headed down that road pronto.
clgr

Magicman

I seriously doubt that you will see/notice any difference sawing with the WM belt.

AnthonyW

After running a a bunch of extension cords and work lights, I found the mill. I changed the wheel bands. The old ones where in there tight. The new ones are a lot looser than I expected. I didn't even need a screwdriver to put them on. When pulled at a single point, there was a 1/2" gap between the inside of the band and the outside of the wheel. Not the inside of the band and the bottom of the wheel, but to the top of the wheel. I can stick my small finger between the band and wheel. Is that right? Is that how loose they are supposed to be?

Magicman

Yes that sounds about right.  One thing though, calling them bands is confusing because the blades are bands.  Those are belts.  It just helps when we all call them the same thing.   :)

AnthonyW

I'm already confused because on my vertical bandsaw they are called wheel bands or tires. When someone says belt, I think drive belt. Why can't they both be called the same thing on both machines?

Wow. I am very surprised they should be that loose. Will they shrink or tighten any? The same part on my vertical bandsaw is a stretch fit.

Dave Shepard

They will always be loose. I think the idea is that it helps to shake loose any sawdust or bark trapped behind the blade.

Rockn H

Just thought I'd throw in that I've always ran a Gates B57 belt from the parts store.  Never had a problem. 

5quarter

I agree with Peter regarding factory parts. but just for the record, crowned B-57s from NAPA tend to track better than a flat belt and seem to be less likely to throw a blade. I've used both and prefer the crowned belts over the flat ones. Just my experience. as Frank says, your mileage may vary.  ;)
BTW...If you do use the crowned belts, make sure they are American made. Stay away from any belts made in China.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

The requirement would be that the belt has even thickness and no "hump" where the top layer ends.  Uneven thickness would cause the blade to bump as it travels around the bandwheels.  Other than that, if it tracks properly, that is all that matters.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on November 30, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
Quote from: VT-Woodchuck on November 30, 2013, 06:03:48 PM
NAPA has the b57 belts around here. They ordered the first one for me and since then keep them in stock.

Price? Same as Woodmizer?
Make sure it is the RIGHT B57. Must be flat back! NOT crowned.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bandmill Bandit

I was told by Wood Mizer that Good Year is their belt supplier. I have used Gates wheel belts and they were good but I didn't get the wear life out them I do from the WM/goodyear belts. I'd say the difference is about 25%+/-.

Right now I have a set of goodyears on the mill and set MWs in the band box. MWs were cheaper by about 8 bucks last time I bought a set.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!