iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Bell is Ringing

Started by Magicman, November 29, 2013, 01:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The Salvation Army bell is ringing.  I make a commitment each year to never pass by without at least putting in something.

We are subjected to weather related events nearly every year, and they are always there helping with the recovery.  During my years with the telephone industry, they furnished me many cups of coffee and hot chocolate while we were restoring service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I was walking into one of our Stores and recognized a familiar face swinging the bell.  It was one of our Store Managers from another location.  When I asked him why.  He mentioned how the Salvation Army had helped his Mom through a rough patch when he was a young boy so he repays every year by volunteering.

wwsjr

I donate by check and kettles each year. First on site after tornado in Smithville, MS in 2011. Provided meals, coffee, water, temp shelter for victims and disaster relief workers. In my opinion, number one charity in our area with low overhead expenses.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

thecfarm

They will be all over the place here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

submarinesailor

Did you guys hear about their DC office?  They had a break in and about $10K was taken.

Bruce

Magicman

That is sad, and it could have been an "inside job".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

SA is our favorite Christmas charity.

WmFritz

I cant pass a bell ringer without dropping something in the kettle. I figure if they can be selfless enough to stand out in the cold and weather, the least I can do is give a couple bucks.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

I make it a point to always thank the ringer.  Everyone needs to feel appreciated.

SPIKER

I worked with a guy who's wife ran the local YMCA, SA youth hangout place just a big ole combination department sharing expenses and building floor.   They did a lot of bell ringing and had one local guy (homeless by choice) everyone called him mountain man (Grizzle Adams look a like.)   The guy was always top Donation pot amount.   They gave $ to the one who brought in the most, tho no ever keeps it goes back into the pot ;)   Anyway the local city Board told them they could not let him ring the bell (two or three years ago now) as he was unstable ::) This after 5 or 6 seasons of him doing it and bringing in almost 2X the next highest ringer.   The guy played guitar, sang pretty good and generally put on a show 2 or 3 shifts since he was not "Working" and lived in the "Woods" without taking handouts from "Government" he had to be too unstable to be around a charity??? ??? ::) >:(

I have not seen the guy around but heck lately I kind of resemble him stopped shaving & not cut my hair since I lost the job in Feb  :D  Feels pretty good to not have to Worry about what OTHER people think ;)   I personally toss in some every now and again as the SA is best place to donate to keep it HERE in USA and not spend 96% of the $ coming in on Executive Compensation and advertizing to bring in more $ for the "Operations" of the charity...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Brucer

A couple of years ago one of the media outlets researched how much money actually gets to the people who need it. They did it for all the major charities. Salvation Army came in at 95% being put to use, 5% for overheads. Most other charities were at 70% / 30%, and a few were at 30% / 70%.

So yes, I always have something for Sally Ann.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!