iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for infomation

Started by Mt406, November 28, 2013, 11:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Hi,
I thought this would be the right place to ask this question?
Are there any books out there on cutting timbers and beams. I have herd  many different opinions.
I live in SW Montana most timber here is over 6000 ft, with only 10-11 rain fall. Thay grow slow and not very tall 80-90 feet.
Most common trees are Douglas fir, Lodge pole, some Spruce. limy and lots of taper.
I was told by a broker that I couldn't cut good beams here.
I ran a mill 35 years ago for a log home outfit. Now I have my own ( swing blade ) and looking for info.
Thanks for any help.
Scott   

Ianab

Well the taper and limbs will stop you making premium beams. It limits the length, and you will have more knots. But this doesn't mean that they are useless, and you can't build with them.

Important thing is that you mill the beam with the pith centred. That should give you a stable beam, even with the taper and knots. With a Swing Blade you probably need to play with your bunk set up. Have the small end bunk a lot higher than the other one. A high lift jack, and some boards to slide under the bunk will let you level the log. Then take off whatever side boards you can get, leaving the heart centred beam. You will probably make a lot of shorter boards because of the taper, but you probably have a use for these. Flooring etc.

Look at traditional buildings. They used whatever was the most suitable of the local trees for the various parts. You might not have the "best" trees, but they will be usable.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bigshow

****not an engineer or lumber grader*****

but, you should at LEAST be able to get some fine posts.
I never try anything, I just do it.

Mt406

Thanks Ian
I have 4in difference now. and I tape each log and adjust from there.
hadn't  thought of the high lift jack
Scott

Thank You Sponsors!