iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I planed some boards yesterday

Started by lyle niemi, November 28, 2013, 11:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I havnt really did any planing with the old beast until yesterday, I did some 1x6 pine boards, I installed te ship lap side heads but they didnt turn out like I thought they would, I suspect the knives were not sharp enough. Im gonna get a planerman to have a look at things and to give me a few lessons on the do's and dont's

brendonv

Wow thats awesome.

Ive never planed any wood, but i have done plenty of ship lapping multiple ways on a table saw.

When dialed that thing must  be great.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

lyle niemi

Quote from: brendonv on November 28, 2013, 11:27:05 AM
Wow thats awesome.

Ive never planed any wood, but i have done plenty of ship lapping multiple ways on a table saw.

When dialed that thing must  be great.
You can sure run the boards through in a short time, thats fer sure

dboyt

That's a beauty!  So what did it take, maybe 10 minutes to plane those boards?  Is it a two-sided planer?  What are you using for a power source?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

21incher

Wow that is amazing. They don't make them like that anymore. It must take a crew of strong men to feed that beast.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

That planer is a beast for sure!

Must have a blower to take care of the shavings!

Hey 21incher, welcome to the Forestry Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lyle niemi

Quote from: dboyt on November 28, 2013, 12:09:43 PM
That's a beauty!  So what did it take, maybe 10 minutes to plane those boards?  Is it a two-sided planer?  What are you using for a power source?
Not sure how long it took.. maybe twenty minutes????? Its an alco 4 sided planer, built in Edmonton Alberta in the late 40s. For power I installed a 262 IHC combine engine. It works good for the smaller boards but not sure how its gonna work for the bigger stuff like 2x10s and 12s.. Only time wil tell???

lyle niemi

Quote from: 21incher on November 28, 2013, 12:37:32 PM
Wow that is amazing. They don't make them like that anymore. It must take a crew of strong men to feed that beast.
Just me feedin that thang!...lol

Happycamper

Lyle,
  Planer looks like a great machine and will do a good job for you once you get it tweaked. Makes my 16" look like a postage stamp. Can I see another new shed in the offing?
How are the flat belts and what widths of belt does it use?
                                        Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

lyle niemi

Quote from: Happycamper on November 28, 2013, 05:32:12 PM
Lyle,
  Planer looks like a great machine and will do a good job for you once you get it tweaked. Makes my 16" look like a postage stamp. Can I see another new shed in the offing?
How are the flat belts and what widths of belt does it use?
                                        Jim
Another structure is needed Jim but it wont be this winter. The flat belts that run the cutting heads are getting old and will have to be replaced soon, they are 4 inch, from what I understand is that the new belts should be a continuos belts, I might try to use a spliced beltbecause the other ones are big money to buy

Happycamper

Lyle,
  I have a full 24" roll of the latest modern belting (heavy) and was going to use some for a buzz saw but could not find a mandrel  to cut my slabs into firewood. So I bought a lightweight Stihl to do the job. The belting is however 3" and not 4" but being the tough stuff that it is made of perhaps it would be of use to you for the planer. It's yours if you want it and know of someone you know is passing through Sicamous and can pick it up sometime. It weighs 50-75 lbs as a guess.
                                           Jim

drobertson

Nice! real nice, and a nice snow pack as well, spoke to the kids this morning, from Wisconsin, lakes are froze, I really feel for you guys up there,  glad to be in the Ozarks, it's cold enough for me,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lyle niemi

I would gladly take it Jim, I could also use the sunlight and a few onions 8)

Happycamper

The sunlight is empty and the onions are garlic that I grow. Let me know when you or someone you know would pass this way and I'll give you directions to my house.
                                    Jim

Sprucegum

The belting out of round balers will also work if miss out on Happy Campers deal.

Holmes

Lyle that is the biggest portable planer I have ever seen. ;D  I like the way you mounted it to the snow and ice.. :o   8) What will you do when you get your spring time mud?
  You have put a lot of work into your mill and it has been fun to follow it.  Nicely done
Think like a farmer.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Holmes on November 28, 2013, 11:20:30 PM
Lyle that is the biggest portable planer I have ever seen. ;D  I like the way you mounted it to the snow and ice.. :o   8) What will you do when you get your spring time mud?
  You have put a lot of work into your mill and it has been fun to follow it.  Nicely done
Spring time mud equals taller rubber boots..lol

hardtailjohn

That's one great looking setup!! You sure know how to get a guy jealous!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

lyle niemi

I just got a call from the planer man, I told him what machine I have and what was going on with the lumber and he said he would come up next weekend and have a look at things free of charge. I said nooooo problemo!!! lol Ya just cant beat northern hospitality! Oh, I lied a little, he said I better have some hot coffee for him :snowball:

5quarter

Lyle...and I thought they only did things that big in Texas... :D  You're gonna need a new building just for the planer! Just for the record, what are the specs on that big fellow?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!