iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'M getting my new sawmill!

Started by dgore2253, November 27, 2013, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgore2253

;D I'm new to the forum. I've been reading all you guys posts, for years. Now that my mill has been purchased finally, I felt I could join the community. I look forward to listening and learning from the pros. I have a woodland hm126, leaving the dock in the morning. I ain't been this giddy since I was a little boy on christmas morning. :D
I am a lover of my Family, my country, and my forests. With the right conviction, and the right tools, anything is possible.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Dgore...may as well put on a pot of coffee.....no sleep tonight!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

Welcome!!!
So you are a big boy now , and it's almost Christmas. Same thing. Only toys cost a lot more now! ;D
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seaman

Forgot to ask, wherebouts is Ashe ?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

dgore2253,welcome to the forum.You could of joined with no sawmill, some only have chainsaws,some only skidders,some only log trucks,some only burnwood,and so on. What's the plan for the lumber? Have your own trees to cut?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Seaman on November 27, 2013, 07:51:15 PM
Forgot to ask, wherebouts is Ashe ?

Ashe is about 1 hour North of the S.C. border near the coast.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgore2253

Thanks, fellers. I've been in, and around logging, all my life. Going to the old local sawyer with his frick mill, was a highlight of my childhood. We'd carry our cypress, juniper, and pine logs. It wasn't very fun sometimes on the green end of that mill. I've always wanted to saw my own lumber, and after years of planning, and saving, I got one. I'm on 15 acres of prime forest. I call it prime, because I have the best of both worlds. In front, I have a sand ridge full of pines. In the rear, I have a swamp full of hardwood. I hope to add on to my house, and build me a nice barn. Oh yeah, I'm about 35 min north of myrtle beach, SC. Just across the line.
I am a lover of my Family, my country, and my forests. With the right conviction, and the right tools, anything is possible.

samandothers

dgore welcome! 
I was thinking Ashe County, was going to ask what your weather was like.  I know you are excited about your mill and congratulations.

diesel pap

mikeb1079

congrats.  don't let anybody fool ya, you can cut alot of lumber on a manual mill.  you'll have a blast... 8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum gore! Have fun with your new mill!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Andy White

dgore2253      Welcome to the forum, the best place to learn about everything "wood". Congrats on the new mill, it will serve you well. Read and learn, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember when you start sawing, that we like lots of pictures!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Bill Gaiche

dgore2253

I hate to ask a silly question, but I don't know what a tooth setter is. I bought 10 blades to go with my mill, but i know they will need sharpening. I was planning on finding someone to sharpen them, or figuring out how to do it myself. Is a tooth setter something I need?

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mudhog

Welcome dgore2253,
I've got some catchin' up to do. You have been here 2 days and posted more than I have in a year.
WELCOME! ,jim
Doing the right thing might not be easy,but it's always right.

Ask, Seek, Knock

fat olde elf

Welcome !  If you end up sharpening your bands yourself, you will need a setter. Check out Cook's Saw Mfg in the left hand column. I use their setter and their Cat's
Claw sharpener. First class equipment and a first class company to do business with
They also will sharpen your bands if you decide to go that way. Best wishes for a great time in any case. 

claw
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Red Good

Welcome to the board and congrats on the mill . I am still thinking and learning about it all . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

m wood

welcome dgore, welcome mudhog.  Mine is also a mnual mill, I also have my own standing timber for projects.  How is your support equipment set up gore?  Tooth setter is is a gadget that "bends" teeth in alternating directions.  Yes it is important to maintain consistent set with your blade.  Lots of historical threads on here to search about how much set and how often to re-set when re-sharpening.  Whoever you get to sharpen your blades, if thats the way you go, should be set up to "set teeth" also.  Something to ask when finding that service for sure.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum dgore!

Congratulations on the new sawmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the mill.  I'd suggest you find a sharpening service for your blades.  Most will set the blades as part of sharpening.  That way, you can focus on learning to use the mill.  I would recommend that you get another ten blades, at least.  That way, you can have ten blades out for sharpening while you're using the other ten.  Take your time, ask questions, be safe, and find a special place for that first board.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

slider

Welcome  dgore .You might want to use a sharpening service to start with or at least until you get the hang of things.To start with you are probably going to be focused on your milling.Good luck .al
al glenn

justallan1

Welcome to the forum Dgore.
You'll have fun with the new mill, I guarantee.
The search box is a great way to find most anything, but definitely ask any questions you have.
There's a bunch of experience here from a whole lot of real respectful people.

Allan

arnold113

Welcome to the forum dgore. I'm new also but I've already learned a lot from these guys. Its a great place to learn and to share in the fun of making sawdust.
Keep the questions coming. Remember there are quite a few of us newbees here so when you ask a question we all benefit. Have fun.
Arnold113
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

sallvord

Congrats on the mill purchase, Dgore! I have a manual mill as well and I enjoy every minute of it, over 5 years now :).  Best of luck to you and keep us updated.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deere 5303, Northfield#7 Planer, Stihl saws

drobertson

Howdy dgore, and have to say, Happy, Happy, Happy! for you, it should be a good one for you,
I spent many of week ends around there, grandma would take us to Cherry Grove Beach for a deal on the catch of the day, lots of good memories from the coast, still have an Uncle that lives between Cerro Gordo and Fair Bluff,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to FF, dgore, & congratulations on your purchase.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dgore2253

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome! Hopefully, my mill arrives tomorrow. Will post pics, when I get her set up! Thanks everyone! 8)

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Dgore.  Congrats on your new mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

MAI

Hi Dgore,  Welcome to the Forum.  Great people, great info and always willing to help.  Congrats on the mill!  Have FUN......

dgore2253

Well, I got my mill on fri, after the delivery truck broke down on thurs. By the time I got it unpacked, the rain and cold weather arrived. I stayed out in the rain and got the track assembled, but the carriage is under the shed, awaiting assembly. Maybe a little nicer weather will come in for monday. I will try to get some pics up in a day or 2. Keep the faith, brothers!

Thank You Sponsors!