iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Shed Size

Started by rmack, November 26, 2013, 09:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

I have some lumber that I sawed up this summer/fall and was thinking of building a small/portable storage shed that I could eventually use as a sharpening shack. What would be the smallest shed that would still be useful for sharpening/ storing blades? how would they be set up?

I have a 5 ton forklift so I can move a fairly heavy shed.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

m wood

If you can move it then its portable...shouldnt be zoning issues, right?  BUT, as has been said here many times, if you build it just the right size the first time, it will inevitably be tooooo small.  Go BIG, then add a couple of feet to the dimensions, put it on paper, stand back, scratch your head while considering all the stuff thats gonna end up in there, throw away the paper IMMEDIATELY and aproximate DOUBLE what you previously were thinking :).  Thats how I do it anyway :D.

if your sharpening there must be a power supply. I guess all thats needed is a heavy extension cord if its gonna be moved around and what-not.

But seriously, I set up occasionally and sharpen in my wood shop.  I have to clear everything for about 8 feet in the area and I still feel cramped.  I never fold my blades back up and just hang them and transport them in a big circle.  they do take up space.

others here will have better advice (and less sarcasm) than me, I'm sure.  Good luck with that shed
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

ladylake

Maybe 8 x 16 or so.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I was thinking maybe 10x16, then saw Steve's suggestion of 8x16, so I would suggest 8x16 as a minimum.  ;)

Keep in mind, you will use the space regardless of the size you build!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rmack

I was thinking 8x8 or 8x10... guess that's not going to work.

I'll just build a storage shed then, will be good practice getting a design that is sturdy, yet easily portable.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

dboyt

It might start out as a sharpening shed, but you'll probably store your blades, cant hooks, chain saw, winches and other tools in it, then rebuild the engine on the firewood splitter (which will remain in pieces for months), then your wife will decide to store the garden tools in it.  Next you'll set up a planer.  You will wind up resharpening your blades outside.  Oh, wait... that's my shed!  It probably never happened to anyone else.  :D
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

goose63

Quote from: dboyt on November 27, 2013, 08:52:08 AM
It might start out as a sharpening shed, but you'll probably store your blades, cant hooks, chain saw, winches and other tools in it, then rebuild the engine on the firewood splitter (which will remain in pieces for months), then your wife will decide to store the garden tools in it.  Next you'll set up a planer.  You will wind up resharpening your blades outside.  Oh, wait... that's my shed!  It probably never happened to anyone else.  :D
Ya right happen's here all the time
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

ely

I think mine is 22 ft square open fronted sharpening shed, concrete floor, so full it has trails to get around.... talk to me about filling up a shed... back when I was 16 or so me and dad laughed about standing on junk in the shed we were putting up the trusses on.

jackpine

My sharpening/blade storage room is 12 x 16 and even at that it feels crowded at time especially when coiling and un coiling blades or turning them inside out to set. I have 20" benches along both 12' walls so in effect the room is more like 12 x 12. As others have said, do not underestimate how much room you are going to need.

Bill

21incher

I don't know if you have any local building codes, but where I live any temporary shed over 120 sq. ft. ( that is not a tent style shelter ) requires a building permit so you may want to take that into consideration. You can build 3 - 120 sq. ft. sheds with no permit but if you build 1-125 sq. ft. shed it requires a permit and I think it is also added to your assessment and taxed.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

customsawyer

I have a 30'X40' shop and it seems small. Keep in mind that I run a two sharpeners and the band roller so those things take up more room. I have a some extra room but not as much as you would think. There is several other things in the shop also so they might be the reason I don't have as much room as I think I should. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on November 27, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
I have a 30'X40' shop and it seems small. Keep in mind that I run a two sharpeners and the band roller so those things take up more room. I have a some extra room but not as much as you would think. There is several other things in the shop also so they might be the reason I don't have as much room as I think I should. ;)

That's a BIG skating rink you have too!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Banjo picker

That is in the corner of a 12 x 16 building...I only have a single tooth setter so I need some room to flip a band if I don't want to go outside.  It was built for guest to stay in, but they always wanted to stay in the house with us any way so I converted it...Always got stuff stored in there for what ever reason. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dboyt

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 28, 2013, 03:53:09 AM
It was built for guest to stay in, but they always wanted to stay in the house with us any way so I converted it...Always got stuff stored in there for what ever reason. Banjo

They probably couldn't sleep in there with you sharpening blades all night. :D
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

barbender

:D Good one, dboyt :D I built a 12'x16' shed that my sharpener ended up in, and I find that it would be adequate for a sharpener and setter set up and some blade storage, IF you keep everything else out of there and keep it well organized.
Too many irons in the fire

Banjo picker

I wish I at least had the chance to dull some... I got a freeze plug leaking ...and cant run ...logs on the deck for myself and cant cut them... getting parts for a Perkins is a pain.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 28, 2013, 09:31:08 PM
I wish I at least had the chance to dull some... I got a freeze plug leaking ...and cant run ...logs on the deck for myself and cant cut them... getting parts for a Perkins is a pain.
Getting rebuild parts for the perkins has been a real pain, a year later motor still at rebuild shop awaiting parts :(  good luck hope you have a speedy recovery. You got a back up motor if need be?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Banjo picker

I got them ordered.  The dealer from this area had to get them from a larger dealer... Perkins dealers will NOT sell out side of their area.  I will NOT buy anything else with a Perkins in it.     >:(  Sorry for the hijack....Banjo

rmack

Quote>:(  Sorry for the hijack....Banjo

don't worry about it :), btw there seem to be a lot of perkins sources out there if google is any indication. I had a late 70's welding machine with a 4.154 in it, never had any troubles finding parts.

I have a few 12"x12"x18' timbers, think I'll cut one in half and build something 12'x18' ish on skids. I'll try work it so that I can drag it onto my car hauler and use that to move it when necessary.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what this type of roof is called. I'm looking for framing tips. the red dots are where windows would be. (too lazy to get autocad out)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

barbender

I think that's a clerestory, Bob.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Rmack, you need to put a stick figure  um, dot figure person in that drawing for scale.... ;D

rmack

Clerestory it is, thanks!  :)

QuoteRmack, you need to put a stick figure  um, dot figure person in that drawing for scale.... ;D

done  ;)

just above freezing and rainy today, managed to get the barest start on things anyway.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Lud

As I read this thread, I noticed nobody's talked about heigth.   The upper floor I put into the north end of my bank barn some years ago is probably eleven foot so the joists are ten foot and I  hang the blades from two spikes to "keep the round".   I can walk right under them and with multiple sets of spikes I have lots of sorting options of To Do, Done, Repairs, etc.

Just hoping to give you something to consider. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!