iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying pine for lumber

Started by kyjondeere, November 26, 2013, 11:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

A recent tornado in western Ky has left me with 20 to 30 large pine trees from 16-24 in diameter with at least 3 to 4 10 ft logs in each of them. The thing is, I know nothing about pine species and whether these are good for lumber.

I do know that most are tall, and straight with the first limbs at least 30-40 ft.  Are there some pine only good for pulp wood and not lumber?  If so, how can I identify the type of pine?

These were remnants of a paper company(Westvaco) that later sold off alot of land.

If These are any good, Id like to saw them for lumber for a cabin and barn. Any input would be appreciated.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

CalebL

Pine is used more for building lumber than just about any other species.  Get after it.

However, almost every log I've ever had that came from a tornado was filled with metal, rocks, or other foreign objects. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

DanG

Some pines are better than others, but they all make great building lumber.  If they aren't all busted up inside, you should have a nice whack there!  8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

Pictures of the bark, close up of the needles, and cones will help with ID.  Pretty much any pine can be used for construction, there is a difference in strength between different species, so they grade differently, but it can all be used as long as the building is designed and built to suit.

Tornadoes can damage trees as it knocks them over. If the tree has been twisted and snapped off the damage (cracks) will extend a long way up and down from the break, and ruin most of the logs. But if the wind has simply pushed the tree over (rain softened soil etc) then they are usually OK to saw.

Generally the only difference between a pulp pine tree, and a saw log pine tree, is 10-20 years.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kyjondeere

The trees don't appear to be twisted any.  They are all fell by being uprooted, the rootwad is still intact so I've got high hopes for them.  Maybe I can post some pictures later.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

chickenchaser

kyjon,

I have quite a few links and a few books I reference. If the trees are down, you probably can I.D. pretty easy from needles and cones. Try these for a start:

http://www.forestry.state.al.us/TreeIDIndex.aspx?bv=5&s=1

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/table_of_contents.htm

Check out Pine, Virginia for a start.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

thecfarm

I have only cut a few trees with the rootball attached. Be VERY careful of them. There are many dangers,but one is the root ball may fall back down to the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sealark37

Your name indicates that you are located in Kentucky.  The least desirable pine in your area should be the Virginia pine.  If you saw it to avoid spike knots in the boards, it will still make good lumber for your building needs.  All the other pine species in your state should make good lumber for building.  Regards, Clark 

kyjondeere

Thanks so much for the responses.  I started sawing the logs out this afternoon. Definitely right about the root wads. So far I cut 8 trees from the root wad. They all rolled back, some pretty aggressive. Im being very careful, as some are under pretty good pressure.  So far, the logs look very good. I cant wait to put the lumbermate 2000 to work. Tomorrow I'm going to snake them out and hopefully haul a load to begin sawing. I'm hoping to get alot of lumber from these.  P.S. these logs are the best kind, they are free from the generosity of a neighbor. I was blessed, the tornado bypassed me and my family.

Dad2FourWI

That sounds very promising!!!!!

Great catch!

We need some pics to look at!!! :)  :)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

drobertson

blow downs with root balls are better than the alternative, there should be some very good to come from them, as mentioned, get after them,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!