iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old growth timber

Started by Birchwood Logging, November 25, 2013, 11:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

I am logging a 200 acer tract of old growth timber would it be worth more than second growth timber the same size I cut some large chestnut oaks today 40 plus inches they had 32 growth rings per inch I guess that would considered old slow growth timber. Is tight growth ring timber worth more
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

SwampDonkey

Depends on your market and species. Where I'm at, unless it's veneer or figured, same wood price. Like farming, your only gonna get what someone is willing to offer or pay.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

If you're taking it to a commercial mill, they don't really separate things out by growth rings.  Some of the veneer buyers might.  If you can find someone who has a specialty niche for these, you might be able to command a better price.  It should make some awesome quartersawn lumber, and highly figured veneer.  It all depends on how much marketing you want to do.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Birchwood Logging

Do you all have a good market for chestnut oak hear I am getting $1.20 a foot for number 1 quarter I feel like that is a pretty good price I got $547 out of one log today it was a nice log though
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Ianab

At the very least the logs should grade better. Those old slow grown logs usually shed their lower branches when they where quite thin saplings, and have then laid down a lot of clear wood over the subsequent years. So the mill should get better than normal recovery of clear boards from them, and may therefore be willing to pay a premium to get them.

But that's where marketing comes in. Make some calls and see if anyone wants some premium logs, and is willing to pay a premium price. (Everyone wants top quality logs of course, you just need to find the guys willing to pay a bit more for them  ;) )
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Do some (or get someone) log or tree grading to get an estimate of log quality available. As Ianab suggests, that is what brings extra money, not the age of the tract.
Armed with the quality information, you could make some calls in advance of logging.

Then if the market develops, log it, buck for grade, and send to market.
Maybe could even sell some through the "for sale" forum here. Nets 5% to the FF that way. 8)

Might be surprised at the number of local mills that are really looking for good logs to saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lumber Grader

I would check with Taylor Lumber in OH, as they specialize in quarter and rift-sawn and pay some sweet prices for the logs they need. Also Frank Miller Lumber in IN does the same. 2-good mills to start with. The higher the value product a mill saws, the more ofcourse they are willing to pay for the logs and these 2 mills are the largest I know of for rift and quarter sawn hardwood lumber.

Birchwood Logging

Thanks for the information I will check them out. Welcome to the forum

Phorester

Around here, this type of lumber is sought out by remodeling companies who restore/remodel the older houses.  Also furniture repair places who repair/restore antique wooden furniture.  Also by some woodworkers for the tighter grain. But most of these get their lumber from old houses and other buildings built a hundred years ago with that tight grained lumber that have been torn down or scheduled for demolition.

It would be a niche market for sure; but their might be a local mill that wants to offer fresh milled, tight grained lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!