iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sake of discussion

Started by Roger2561, November 25, 2013, 01:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger2561

Roger

thecfarm

I read something like that in my paper too. But the article I saw hardly touched upon OWB. The article kept talking about wood stoves. Not a good argument but for a couple years I was clearing a grown up pasture of softwood. I use to just burn the softwood in a pile each winter. It would smolder for 5-6 days.  ::)   Than I got the OWB and used that for firewood and got something out of it. No matter what it was going up in flames. I am still clearing and using some of what would of been put in a brush pile in my OWB.
But I can see in a village where the smoke would be a problem. You get 100 homes burning wood in one sgaure mile,that would be some smoke. Than on a day when the air is heavy,the smoke stays low.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I am the only one in our neighborhood to regularly burn wood, and sometimes I really smoke up the entire area.  I hope no one complains.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roger2561

Fortunately for me, I live on the north facing side of a mountain with no obstructions between me and the mountains in front of me.  When that wind blows, there is nothing to stop it.  Plus, there is always a constant breeze from the north.  My nearest neighbor to the south is well over 1/4 mile away so any smoke that blows that way has dissipated and not a problem for them.  Plus, my neighbor to the west still claims I haven't fired the OWB due to he not seeing any smoke.  Roger
Roger

snowstorm

there was about the same thing in the bangor paper. the governor said it tradition to burn wood here in maine live with it.     good for him 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I've seen many that really make a smoke, one in particular, a commercial business one, and when it get to smoking it covers nearly a 1/4 mile on a main highway with dense smoke, not my problem, but pretty Smokey,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Probably they put in too many tires or rail roads ties. But could be green wood too. I expermented one year doing that. Cut in the morning,burn at night. I don't want to say I burned twice the wood I normally did,but I bet I'm not too far off.  :( I tried it both with hardwood and softwood. I use less dead wood than green wood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2013, 01:50:41 PM
I am the only one in our neighborhood to regularly burn wood, and sometimes I really smoke up the entire area.  I hope no one complains.

Me 2.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2013, 01:50:41 PM
to regularly burn wood

I like that one.  :D  Maybe all of 20 days in a year. Lucky you.  ;D

Draco

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2013, 09:29:43 PM
I like that one.  :D  Maybe all of 20 days in a year. Lucky you.  ;D

look at his avatar.  He has a jacket on!  It was probably down in the 50s!  I bet that it even gets below freezing, sometimes.  ;)

Looks like we may get to go ice fishing for Christmas here!  Would be the first year in a long time.  The ponds are starting to freeze over already.

Magicman

Contrary to popular belief, it does drop below freezing here.  Sometimes for more than one night !!! 

Yup, my year's supply of firewood.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

The lawyers are paid with taxpayer money to argue environmental cases and judges make their ruling, which becomes  law. Liberal judges tend rule in favor of the environmentalist.  Our Representatives and Senators and general public have no idea of what is happening.  Pretty sad.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on November 27, 2013, 07:32:54 AM
Sometimes for more than one night !!! 

And that's not 2 nights in a row either.  :D

VT_Forestry

It's a shame that this country is headed in a direction that discourages folks from providing for their families - the once proud traditions of keeping your family warm with firewood you split and fed with deer that you shot are painted as evil by a large portion of society.  This large portion also believes that it's better to pay someone else to do something that you could easily do yourself if you just put a little effort into it  ::)  Aldo Leopold sums it up pretty good - "If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the week-end in town astride a radiator."  Can't argue with that :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Gunny 1992

I also bet alot of these motions/cases that are presented or petitioned are funded by your happy local energy provider too.  They are just called private donations?  Not to turn this into something other than a wood subject but my god, is anything off limits?  Should we just make a grave site for tree's that die or use the wood for some good.  Maybe just have mass burns of dead tree's out in the open outside populated area's so no one get's the benefit of using a natural resource.  MAKE IT STOP!
Few saws, few axes, few exes, less money!

Gunny

Thank You Sponsors!